Hot Toys TDKR: 1/4th scale Batman [QS001] - Full Reveal & Specs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm pretty much sold on it. Would like to see the Bruce Wayne head and the third faceplate though. It's funny that I used to prefer the Begins suit look, but when I got the DX12, I realized how awesome this suit is and it is now my preferred Batman look overall. I can't think of a better figure (outside of Terminator) to start with for 1/4 scale.

There's still 3 days left of Ani-Com so they might bring it out within that time with the BW headsculpt?

Will that convince you that Hot Toys fixed the cowl Sculpt if the BW sculpt looks fixed?

I am already convinced that they changed it as I've said before. I just think the changes were so small and subtle that what really made it look so much better was the obvious better lighting at SDCC. It is improved, just the fact that they made better mouth pieces is evidence of that. They even look as if they made them bigger which is more accurate.

I am already convinced that they changed it as I've said before. I just think the changes were so small and subtle that what really made it look so much better was the obvious better lighting at SDCC. It is improved, just the fact that they made better mouth pieces is evidence of that. They even look as if they made them bigger which is more accurate.

Yeah I am not knocking you if you are not convinced though because I am on the fence still whether anything has changed, since a lot of people not only you have said it is just the lighting and they never used that mouth piece for display before in last years Anicom's pics. I am leading to the fact that is has changed but because if it has changed the changes are so subtle like you said and thus, I can't be certain. :dunno

Yeah I am not knocking you if you are not convinced though because I am on the fence still whether anything has changed, since a lot of people not only you have said it is just the lighting and they never used that mouth piece for display before in last years Anicom's pics. I am leading to the fact that is has changed but because if it has changed the changes are so subtle like you said and thus, I can't be certain. :dunno

Cool, because everyone must think I'm insane for what I said. Glad I'm not alone. :lol

I'm still trying to pinpoint the exact changes made to the actual cowl with all pictures I can find comparing them. With the old photos, I removed the mouth piece in photoshop, color corrected the pictures from dark blue (promo shots) and yellow (old toys fair) to the actual black/grey color of the suit, darkened the white areas of the eyes and it looked miles better. But there's still the issue with how the lighting and the sources of them on the old pictures are awful (just look at the shadows on the cowl from the old toys fair in 2012). So I couldn't really achieve that nice, realistic photo effect of the pictures taken from the SDCC. The only changes I can see are the mouth pieces and possibly that they made them bigger.

Last edited:

Well, in all fairness, they didnt use that mouthpiece. And it maybe the single most accurate "Bale" faceplate there is. Instantly, regardless of the rest of the cowl, I see it and it screams Bale. But what is the difference in lighting? The prototype and this one were both in heavy lighting. Except the proto had that weird yellow tint over it in one video. Tyranus has already proven that the cowl has been altered (in the front at least). Look at the eye sockets. Clearly, less white is visible on the current version than the prototype. I just don't see how there's any debate as to if anything has been changed.

Cool, because everyone must think I'm insane for what I said. Glad I'm not alone. :lol

Glad I could give you some comfort since this thread is full of people that think you are crazy for not noticing the differences. :1-1:

If that's the case then we are both crazy! :lol

I'm still trying to pinpoint the exact changes made to the actual cowl with all pictures I can find comparing them. With the old photos, I removed the mouth piece in photoshop, color corrected the pictures from dark blue (promo shots) and yellow (old toys fair) to the actual black/grey color of the suit, darkened the white areas of the eyes and it looked miles better. But there's still the issue with how the lighting and the sources of them on the old pictures are awful (just look at the shadows on the cowl from the old toys fair in 2012). So I couldn't really achieve that nice, realistic photo effect of the pictures taken from the SDCC.

Wow sounds like your on a mission to convince your self. The only way I will be convinced it has changed is when everyone gets there's and post their pics on here.

The only changes I can see are the mouth pieces and possibly that they made them bigger.

Yeah I am pretty sure the mouth pieces have changed but yet I know of people that tell me they don't think so. It looks obvious to me but there is that worry that those people are right. :thud:

The eyes have definitely been improved to reflect Batman's more narrowed-eye look. There's a flash photo on here and it doesn't even look bug-eyed in it. That's a real good sign! Take a flash photo of any DX and they look like a deer in headlights.

Well, in all fairness, they didnt use that mouthpiece. And it maybe the single most accurate "Bale" faceplate there is. Instantly, regardless of the rest of the cowl, I see it and it screams Bale. But what is the difference in lighting? The prototype and this one were both in heavy lighting. Except the proto had that weird yellow tint over it in one video. Tyranus has already proven that the cowl has been altered (in the front at least). Look at the eye sockets. Clearly, less white is visible on the current version than the prototype. I just don't see how there's any debate as to if anything has been changed.

I think the question is not whether it has changed but whether it has changed significantly to look completely different and vastly improved. I am not saying it hasn't changed significantly, all I am saying I can't be certain.

The eyes have definitely been improved to reflect Batman's more narrowed eye look. There's a flash photo on here and it doesn't even look bugged eyed in it. That's a real good sign! Take a flash photo of any DX and they look like a deer in headlights.

The flash photo was from a distance not up close, all I am saying is I need to see more pics to be fully convinced.

I was personally standing right in front of this thing at SDCC 13.
I didn't see the proto in person, but based on pictures I can truly say that this 1/4 Bats, that was shown at SDCC this year, which i attended, looks 100x better than said proto. Everyone that stopped at the SS booth was amazed by it, some were even mentioning how improved it was over last year pics.
Some of the SS staff was even saying that same thing.

I think the question is not whether it has changed but whether it has changed significantly to look completely different and vastly improved. I am not saying it hasn't changed significantly, all I am saying I can't be certain.

Okay, I can understand that. I think another question is if the figure needed significant changes. I dont think it it did. The cowl and eyes needed slight adjustment. The faceplate was not Bale. If those things were fixed you're talking about a figure doing a 180 with very minor and minimal changes. I believe you and everybody else who can't see significant changes are justified. There aren't any. Just minor ones.

Bad lighting, awful mouth piece (not my pic):

BatmanDX12_HotToys12.jpg

Good lighting, Robbie's awesome custom made mouth piece:

dsc02248rd.jpg

Just looking at these pictures one could think the cowl was completely different in the two shots. The custom mouth piece changes the whole appearance of the cowl. Also notice the lighting source in my picture, it doesn't light up the eye sockets so much that it's white. It has that dark effect because the light doesn't reach that part so well, like the 1/4 Bats on display at SDCC. Also the way you pose the eyes have an impact on the overall look of the cowl. I would hardly say that the figure on display at SDCC had "heavy lighting". The light sources were white, from the roof. The ones at the toys fair were yellow, right infront of it, coming from the right and left sides. Giving it those ugly shadow effects on the cowl.

Glad I could give you some comfort since this thread is full of people that think you are crazy for not noticing the differences. :1-1:

If that's the case then we are both crazy! :lol

:1-1:

Wow sounds like your on a mission to convince your self. The only way I will be convinced it has changed is when everyone gets there's and post their pics on here.

Definitely! It's one of my most wanted figures, so I really want to get to the bottom of this.

Last edited:
:lol:lol:lol

Well, both of em are "figure of the year" :huh

:chase

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

I'm still trying to pinpoint the exact changes made to the actual cowl with all pictures I can find comparing them. With the old photos, I removed the mouth piece in photoshop, color corrected the pictures from dark blue (promo shots) and yellow (old toys fair) to the actual black/grey color of the suit, darkened the white areas of the eyes and it looked miles better. But there's still the issue with how the lighting and the sources of them on the old pictures are awful (just look at the shadows on the cowl from the old toys fair in 2012). So I couldn't really achieve that nice, realistic photo effect of the pictures taken from the SDCC. The only changes I can see are the mouth pieces and possibly that they made them bigger.

Too bad intothevoid doesn't hang out here much anymore. He could put this thing to bed (one way or the other) once and for all.

I was personally standing right in front of this thing at SDCC 13.
I didn't see the proto in person, but based on pictures I can truly say that this 1/4 Bats, that was shown at SDCC this year, which i attended, looks 100x better than said proto. Everyone that stopped at the SS booth was amazed by it, some were even mentioning how improved it was over last year pics.
Some of the SS staff was even saying that same thing.

Yeah it might of looked better in person than last years pics but that doesn't mean it has changed significantly, although I am leaning to the fact that is has. I just can't be 100% sure is all.

Okay, I can understand that. I think another question is if the figure needed significant changes. I dont think it it did. The cowl and eyes needed slight adjustment. The faceplate was not Bale. If those things were fixed you're talking about a figure doing a 180 with very minor and minimal changes. I believe you and everybody else who can't see significant changes are justified. There aren't any. Just minor ones.

Ignoring the mouth piece, the cowl and eyes needed a major adjustment not a slight one and thus, if the cowl and eyes have significantly improved by going from bug eyes to squinty eyes, I would not call that a minor or subtle change.

Bad lighting, awful mouth piece (not my pic):

BatmanDX12_HotToys12.jpg

Good lighting, Robbie's awesome custom made mouth piece:

dsc02248rd.jpg

Just looking at these pictures one could think the cowl was completely different in the two shots. The custom mouth piece changes the whole appearance of the cowl. Also notice the lighting source in my picture, it doesn't light up the eye sockets so much that it's white. It has that dark effect because the light doesn't reach that part so well, like the 1/4 Bats on display at SDCC. Also the way you pose the eyes have a impact on the overall look of the cowl. I would hardly say that the figure on display at SDCC had "heavy lighting". The light sources were white, from the roof. The ones at the toys fair were yellow, right infront of it, coming from the right and left sides. Giving it those ugly shadow effects on the cowl.

:goodpost:

Very good points.

Definitely! It's one of my most wanted figures, so I really want to get to the bottom of this.

Well good luck with that, I am waiting to see in hand pics of the final product before I can be quite certain. :)

If it bothers everyone I'll just stop talking about it. Sorry.

Nope, doesn't bother me. And there may be some truth to what you're saying. Intothevoid has a really good eye for accuracy, and would pick up on all the changes (or lack of them).

I have a pretty sensitive eye when it comes to the effects of lighting, so I don't think that's the only difference.

The things I notice are

1) A more accurately shaped torso (not so "v" shaped).

2) The arms aren't so skinny anymore (could be partially an illusion after correcting the torso shape).

3) The fists might be larger?

4) The outer shoulder pads are re-shaped.

5) Reshaped brow and nostrils.

6) New face plates.

Before, the deal breakers for me were using the DX12 faceplates, and the skinny arms. Having those two things fixed in addition to the other things I mentioned swayed my into ordering. :)

Back