Hot Toys The Dark Knight Joker DX/Artisan 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s probably some deep, psychological reason for this but even if I had the space to display 1:1 “figures” I’d go with 80% 1/6 scale and 20% 1/4 scale with a few 1/12 scattered in there. Not that I wouldn’t have some 1:1 pieces in the collection but I don’t see myself focusing on that scale even if I could.

There’s probably some deep, psychological reason for this but even if I had the space to display 1:1 “figures” I’d go with 80% 1/6 scale and 20% 1/4 scale with a few 1/12 scattered in there. Not that I wouldn’t have some 1:1 pieces in the collection but I don’t see myself focusing on that scale even if I could.
Having 1/1 costumes standing in the corner of your room somewhere on a mannequin doesn't really have the same impact or display presence as a full fledged 1/6 scale figure of the entire character/actor. At least for me.

Just having the costume in a room feels like exactly that. Like you hung up an old outfit from your closet, which can be cool in its own way but it's something you maybe have 1-2 max of for your favorite character.

Current discussion got me thinking.

Why do we collectors go for miniature models of the stuff we love? Why 1/6 and 1/4 dolls? Why 1/12 action figures? Wouldn’t it make more sense to go . . . life size.

Obsessed with Ledger Joker? Why the heck you buying a little doll instead of, I don’t know, a life size replica of his actual purple suit. Put that **** on a mannequin and put it on display.

Dolls and toys make sense when we’re kids, we project action onto them as we play, but when we become adults, we no longer play. The action is taken out. We don’t project ourselves into the figure through play. Now all we do is “futz” and customize with the sole purpose of lining them up, museum style for display. Its actually very odd.

Wouldn’t a better display be Batman’s actual cowl and costume? His arsenal and gadgets? Joker’s actual costume, cards and props?

View attachment 657984
View attachment 657985
View attachment 657986

Why the little Barbie Doll/GI Joe sized dolls? I mean, Bruce Wayne himself displays his life size toys, not little dinky miniatures of them.

View attachment 657987
View attachment 657988

The little dolls are never going to be screen accurate because they’re not actual size. They never will achieve that detail. It’s kind of absurd to think about. For car, train, plane collectors it makes sense to collect scaled down replicas just from a money and practically standpoint (what, you got a garage big enough to house all your favorites). But a couple of superhero/supervillain outfits? Wouldn’t be hard, would actually be more fun to source it out yourself instead of reply on a toy company or artist to make you a little chintzy, dinky miniature of it.

Why the fascination with amassing little fake plastic men.

View attachment 657991
View attachment 657993

Because we like action figures, not life size mannequins. Our obsession with figures probably goes back to our childhoods. We grew up at a time where action figures were popular, cartoon and movies were made with the objective of selling toys to us. So, we grew up with all these toys that weren't necessarily screen accurate but did the job. Also, there's a certain level of artistry that goes into replicating a life-size costume into a smaller scale. Ii think we appreciate that like some kind of art form. The fact that these artists and companies can almost pull it off is part of what impresses us. If it was life size, then of course it should be 100% accurate. It's no different than people who collect model cars. The smaller the scale, the more challenging it is to replicate the details, so it becomes its own artform.

Having 1/1 costumes standing in the corner of your room somewhere on a mannequin doesn't really have the same impact or display presence as a full fledged 1/6 scale figure of the entire character/actor. At least for me.

Just having the costume in a room feels like exactly that. Like you hung up an old outfit from your closet, which can be cool in its own way but it's something you maybe have 1-2 max of for your favorite character.
I could see myself having a full sized 1989 Batman replica and that’s about it. 1/4, 1/6 and 1/12 are just too much fun having in a collection.

That real skin option Wor-Gar is excited about…now that might be a game changer.

Like would I rather have a full 1/6 figure of Aragorn on display or his 1/1 outfit on some mannequin? Yeah, I'd go with the figure.

Str_8583_TornLon.jpg
1x8EPu2.png

I think many of us that don’t buy 1:1 is because we’re not billionaires with money to burn and space to fit them all 😅

Which is why the next best thing for me personally would be 1:1 masks or helmets. Doesn’t take up too much real estate and falls in the category of “expensive BUT affordable and within my range of acceptable”.

Believe me, I am curious about owning some Bat cowls.

EDIT- plus, I can put 1/4 and 1/6 figures into some sick poses.

I’m not hardcore like that, give me two white glass detolfs with cool white LEDs, no wires visible, one figure per shelf, no accessories scattered along at their feet, no extra head sculpt sitting next to it being unused.
Classy. I collect different versions of Ledgers Joker in 1:6 but also Bales Batman so 8 shelves is extremely easy to fill, Batman Begins suit, TDK armory, TDK suit, BR Joker, a few different purple coat Jokers, interrogation scene Joker, very easy.

A life sized Heath Ledger Joker is absurd, tacky, and a waste of space. The smart ass comments here are done so with poor taste. Life sized anything for personal collection is extremely difficult to pull off if you don’t have proper space for it, we’re not talking about a wall for it, it needs to be out in the open able to be viewed 360 degrees, visit WB if you want to be envious of the sheer costumes they have on display and leave it there if your compulsive ways allow it.
I wouldn’t dare put a spec of media from any film in my living room, learn boundaries.

Last edited:
I’m not hardcore like that, give me two white glass detolfs with cool white LEDs, no wires visible, one figure per shelf, no accessories scattered along at their feet, no extra head sculpt sitting next to it being unused.
Classy. I collect different versions of Ledgers Joker in 1:6 but also Bales Batman so 8 shelves is extremely easy to fill, Batman Begins suit, TDK suit, BR Joker, a few different purple coat Jokers, interrogation scene Joker, very easy.

A life sized Heath Ledger Joker is absurd, tacky, and a waste of space. The smart ass comments here are done so with poor taste. Life sized anything for personal collection is extremely difficult to pull off if you don’t have proper space for it, we’re not talking about a wall for it, it needs to be out in the open able to be viewed 360 degrees, visit WB if you want to be envious of the sheer costumes they have on display and leave it there if your compulsive ways allow it.
I wouldn’t dare put a spec of media from any film in my living room, learn boundaries.

Ahh, a man of fine tastes I see.

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

Because we like action figures, not life size mannequins. Our obsession with figures probably goes back to our childhoods. We grew up at a time where action figures were popular, cartoon and movies were made with the objective of selling toys to us. So, we grew up with all these toys that weren't necessarily screen accurate but did the job. Also, there's a certain level of artistry that goes into replicating a life-size costume into a smaller scale. Ii think we appreciate that like some kind of art form. The fact that these artists and companies can almost pull it off is part of what impresses us. If it was life size, then of course it should be 100% accurate. It's no different than people who collect model cars. The smaller the scale, the more challenging it is to replicate the details, so it becomes its own artform.

Why do we continue to do it though? Most of the people in this thread already have/had several Jokers, not to mention all the Batmen. These aren’t the type of toys we had as kids either. Most of us younger collectors had chunky, plastic dudes, not the “taller ones” with fabric clothing outfits. What I collect now would be lame to me as a kid, especially the “real hair”. Obviously the MEGO and GI Joe generation were different (and are on their way out), but you and I aren’t of that breed.

I have friends that played with toys just like I did. Batman, Superman, GI JOE, Star Wars, etc. Same age I was then. They’re not still doing this crap. They don’t collect. It’s just me with the dolls and “plastic men”. I mean yeah, my weirder friends do it too, but they’re not the most social. My woman used to play with Barbie, Polly pocket, Bratz etc. but she’s not still collecting that ****. She’s moved on to more productive hobbies. In fact, her and her cousin started playing “extreme Barbie” as preteens with their dolls and proceeded to destroy all of the ones they had through various destructive scenarios. We would all cringe doing that. Nobody here is taking their DX01 Joker and melting his head with a blow torch or taking the DX11 and running it over with their car. Most people don’t even throw away their broken or deteriorated TrueType bodies. “I can save that, I can use it.”

“When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things.”

Us Joker guys haven’t become men? Is that why it’s different for us? Some of us have been in the game for decades now, pushing the twilight years. Why the compulsion? How many more Batman and Luke Skywalker figures is it going to take to make us feel complete?

I’ve noticed the baby boomers are like this with automobiles, locomotives and guns. They have retired and spend their days buying trains and cars, with a good bit of their scale models all boxed up or stored away. Some do full fledged dioramas. While I don’t share the same obsession they do, I do get the mindset. I would say their hobby is much more productive however. They’re changing out and customizing motors, laying down actual, functioning tracks. They’re creating more than consuming. What are we doing? Talking about millimeter flower buttons and the green shade of vests. Their hobby is a little different than obsessing over the minutia of fabric and doll hair.

Lego is another one I get but don’t dabble in. Atleast with that you’re constructing something, creating a model. The less commercial and unlicensed, the better. We don’t really do that. We take fantasy characters like Batman, Harry Potter and Gandalf and almost make a hallowed shrine of them. You ever do that? Ever sit back and look at the little guys all lined up in their glass/acrylic prisons with specific lights cast down on them and think “what the hell am I doing?” I don’t know, it’s kind of weird bro. Now that the future is hair and moving eyes, it makes it all the more stranger. Wor-Gar going to 100% in creep factor cements it.

1:1 makes more sense. Statues make more sense. Even your clunky, colorful stylized Kenner/Mattel/Hasbro ~points of articulation action figures make sense. The miniature dolls are just kind of . . . creepy. Yeah, Artisan Anakin and InArt Aragorn are impressive but it’s also kind of weird now.

Last edited:
I collect different versions of Ledgers Joker in 1:6 but also Bales Batman so 8 shelves is extremely easy to fill, Batman Begins suit, TDK armory, TDK suit, BR Joker, a few different purple coat Jokers, interrogation scene Joker, very easy.

A life sized Heath Ledger Joker is absurd, tacky, and a waste of space. The smart ass comments here are done so with poor taste. Life sized anything for personal collection is extremely difficult to pull off if you don’t have proper space for it, we’re not talking about a wall for it

Bro you just contradicted yourself.

“8 shelves worth of different various Balemen and Ledgermen” would be about the same size as ONE life size Baleman and ONE Ledgerman!

You guys aren’t thinking three dimensionally. You’re thinking about a SEARS, JC Penny, Kohl’s, Target store display of a blank faced mannequin with your favorite characters clothes on them.

I’m talking about a doll that is like the 1/6 dudes but is the same size you are . . .

Personally I think anything 1/1 is awful. Going beyond it seems 1/1 is oversized for what real life is, it looks tacky and there's no good way to display them. Maybe you can get away with it if you have one or two, but it's a bridge too far for me. 1/1 is a nooo thanks. Unless you own a Madame Tussauds.
I think a few 1:1 busts work pretty nicely if you have the display (like what Infinity is doing) as they're still in the realm of a collectible. But moving to full on costumes I think you cross over from high end collectible to actual prop collecting which is a different type of collecting. My brother has a couple 1:1 props from the Nolan movies (a screen used BB cowl for instance), and its cool, but otherwise nothing that really makes me ooo and ahhh over it.

As someone else mentioned, there's artistry when it comes to these scaled down pieces whether it be 1/6, 1/4, 1/3 etc. I do personally think 1/12 is still more toy (as in kids toy) than high end collectible though :lol

Last edited:
Back