Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's great to hear that there have been so many improvements in the gameplay. But, I really want to hear what's in store for MGO as well. It's strange that they've kept quiet on it...

If MGS V isn't delayed, a summer release around June is likely (as is when most of the MGS games in the past have been released in that month).

Yeah, MPO is the one thing left to talk about, I want competitive multiplayer, not so much co-op.

The only co-op I like is team based multiplayer.

Everything else is looking fantastic, story, gameplay, graphics, everything.

If anything, the sound and music seems to be the weakest aspect.

The story... meh. From Akio Otsuka's description, it seems like Big Boss isn't actually going to turn into a villain, but he'll just have his "own sense of justice". Whatever happened to becoming an "evil that will threaten the world", like Kojima had previously said? :dunno

But, I really do what to see another good iteration of MGO. Konami really mishandled the last one that was released with MGS 4...

That's what makes a good villain, "their own sense of justice"... Who thinks what he does is justified, being evil for the sake of being evil? Only the Sith and the Joker.

There's no such thing on MGS, everybody has their reasons, evil is more subjective in this franchise.

Story & themes sound great, different paths, optional characters? Interesting, it already hints at high replay value.

I can get that, but it seems like Kojima's holding back Big Boss' potential by keeping him grounded in heroism. If at the end of MGS V, you end up understanding Big Boss' ideals and feeling very sympathetic toward him, then the entire "men become demons" theme becomes rather inconsequential, and just something more derivative of what we've already experienced before in MGS 4. I'm sure that Big Boss might do some awful things, but if his actions are written off as done for "the greater good", then that doesn't necessarily make him evil - just a sympathetic hero who has gotten more violent.

Just from what I can recall from Ground Zeroes, it seems like Skull Face is everything that Big Boss should be :lol.

Last edited:
That's what makes a good villain, "their own sense of justice"... Who thinks what he does is justified, being evil for the sake of being evil? Only the Sith and the Joker.

There's no such thing on MGS, everybody has their reasons, evil is more subjective in this franchise.

Story & themes sound great, different paths, optional characters? Interesting, it already hints at high replay value.

:goodpost:

I think he’ll definitely be doing some evil crap in this game.

I can get that, but it seems like Kojima's holding back Big Boss' potential by keeping him grounded in heroism. If at the end of MGS V, you end up understanding Big Boss' ideals and feeling very sympathetic toward him, then the entire "men become demons" theme becomes rather inconsequential, and just something more derivative of what we've already experienced before in MGS 4. I'm sure that Big Boss might do some awful things, but if his actions are written off as done for "the greater good", then that doesn't necessarily make him evil - just a sympathetic hero who has gotten more violent.

Just from what I can recall from Ground Zeroes, it seems like Skull Face is everything that Big Boss should be :lol.

Well as long as his "greater good" includes some really nasty ****, then that's fine with me, just like most MGS villains, they're cold blooded killers you can sympathize with because they went through awful stuff and you understand why they do what they do, doesn't mean you condone what they did, for instance, there can be some "greater good" in BB rationale, but nothing can justify killing those african kids (if he actually ends up doing that).

Even Skull face has glimpses of having been through a tough life, and justifying his ideals, doesn't make him seem any less evil in my eyes...

After all, very few villains have been left without redemption in MGS.

Well as long as his "greater good" includes some really nasty ****, then that's fine with me, just like most MGS villains, they're cold blooded killers you can sympathize with because they went through awful stuff and you understand why they do what they do, doesn't mean you condone what they did, for instance, there can be some "greater good" in BB rationale, but nothing can justify killing those african kids (if he actually ends up doing that).

Even Skull face has glimpses of having been through a tough life, and justifying his ideals, doesn't make him seem any less evil in my eyes...

After all, very few villains have been left without redemption in MGS.

If Big Boss happens to suffer from a "Jack Bauer" syndrome, then he can kill his own colleagues in cold blood, torture innocent people, and the fans will condone everything that he did, if the bigger picture involved saving (or attempting to save) the world in some way.

I don't know about you, but I truly wanted Big Boss to completely lose his **** in this game, and become the "monster" that Kaz wanted Solid Snake to kill. I just feel that if there's one villain that should have been left without any redemption, then it should be Big Boss at the end of MGS V; regardless of him "repenting" for his sins in MGS 4 which came at a much later time, when he old enough to reflect on his actions (after given some time out in the metaphorical corner of Zero's sleeping chamber).

If Big Boss happens to suffer from a "Jack Bauer" syndrome, then he can kill his own colleagues in cold blood, torture innocent people, and the fans will condone everything that he did, if the bigger picture involved saving (or attempting to save) the world in some way.

I don't know about you, but I truly wanted Big Boss to completely lose his **** in this game, and become the "monster" that Kaz wanted Solid Snake to kill. I just feel that if there's one villain that should have been left without any redemption, then it should be Big Boss at the end of MGS V; regardless of him "repenting" for his sins in MGS 4 which came at a much later time, when he old enough to reflect on his actions.

Yes, I hope that's what happens here too, I'm gonna be disappointing if it doesn't happen, it won't be a deal-breaker but it will be an fulfilling end.

Last edited:
I used to think Snake not killing himself at the end of MGS4 was unsatisfying as well, but it's no longer the case, it exalts Snake even more since he's always been a fighter and a survivor, even despite Kojima writing the character in some weird, even disrespectful ways, Snake kept going, and instead of killing himself, he said, **** you Kojima, I'm not giving you the pleasure :rock

:lol

I loved Big Boss as a hero in MGS 3, and even in Peace Walker to an extent. But, the character has to evolve from that. We all know that he started out as a hero, but I think he needs to reach a "point of no return" that makes Zero look like a choir boy in comparison :lol.

Is there anybody know why in this MGSV game majority of weapon are not real life weapon, but is more like mod or combine of real life weapon???? Just curious.

Because it is all actually a dream. Rumour has it the whole plot, (or what we have seen so far), is still when you are in the coma.

Pre-hospital gameplay if that makes sense. We have yet to see what comes after the hospital escape.

Well he has to get to the point to influence Ocelot enough to start torturing like in MGS.

Oh it's going to be sweet when I get to torture Huey. I hated Otacon, but since I can't hit him, I have to settle for his clone father. Hold out on an invisibility outfit will you! POP! And your stupid 650 pound weight elevator! You mean to tell me 5 armored up guys equal 650 pounds? Solid Snake weighs 130 pounds? WHAM!

Joker wasn't just straight up evil. In the good interpretations of him like The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight, he had a clear motivation. He refuses to believe anyone is truly good, and it's all a facade. He needs to justify his acts by corrupting others.

EDIT: I meant Joker wasn't "mindless evil." He's pure evil!

If a villain is straight up evil, they're boring. The same goes for heroes, they need something that compels them to do good. MGS3 helped Big Boss be more than a plot device. The combination of what we learned of him in MGS through Foxhound and MGS3 is what made him such a compelling character to me.

Well he has to get to the point to influence Ocelot enough to start torturing like in MGS.

Oh it's going to be sweet when I get to torture Huey. I hated Otacon, but since I can't hit him, I have to settle for his clone father. Hold out on an invisibility outfit will you! POP! And your stupid 650 pound weight elevator! You mean to tell me 5 armored up guys equal 650 pounds? Solid Snake weighs 130 pounds? WHAM!

650 lbs was actually the weight limit of the elevator, and not the combined weight of the soldiers and Snake inside of it. As for Ocelot having a tendency to torture people... I think he was influenced by Volgin.

Oh that's right! Snake was the one that said it would take over 5 people to go over that limit. Well, he still held out on that stealth suit.

Well, what's the point of a MGS game if Snake could run undetected throughout the entire base? :lol I guess Snake could have easily beaten up Otacon and took his stealth suit, but he's way too much of a good guy for that.

Thats why I love MGS, is the same in the real world

I know that, but story-wise it's dumb. Same with Liquid trying to kill you, and then later saying he planned for you to activate Metal Gear. It's fine that he sends all his men to test his brother, but that is total BS when he shoots missiles at Snake. That whole Hind fight is dumb. Liquid planned to get blown up, and escape that too?

Back