MMS138 – The Expendables: 1/6th scale Barney Ross Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rubber?I thought this and Wolverine was hard Plastic,not rubber.I haven't bought any action based figures last year so i have no clue.

It's a mix. The 6 pack area and the arms are made from a PVC material, the pecs and neck are a soft rubber skin over a hard plastic built, mainly to allow neck articulation. The neck inside is a trational 2 articulation point design. Not as much motion because of the rubber neck covering, but far more than the old Rambo/Rocky body ever had. It's a really nice design, it offers the aesthetic qualities of the older muscle bodies while giving almost as much articulation as a non-muscle body.

Sorry! My bad! I just assumed. :)

No biggy, just want to make sure that other gets the props he deserves.

It's a mix. The 6 pack area and the arms are made from a PVC material, the pecs and neck are a soft rubber skin over a hard plastic built, mainly to allow neck articulation. The neck inside is a trational 2 articulation point design. Not as much motion because of the rubber neck covering, but far more than the old Rambo/Rocky body ever had. It's a really nice design, it offers the aesthetic qualities of the older muscle bodies while giving almost as much articulation as a non-muscle body.

No biggy, just want to make sure that other gets the props he deserves.

Ok this is new to me so now i have more i can look forward to.So basically from the chest and up is Rubber?I don't see why they would bother when the rest is plastic though.

Ok this is new to me so now i have more i can look forward to.So basically from the chest and up is Rubber?I don't see why they would bother when the rest is plastic though.

No, it's rubber covered. It's like 1/8 inch thick rubber skin over a hard plastic build. They did that because it hides a neck joint so the neck flows seemlessly into the shoulders, but it's still posable. PVC would mean no neck posability like the old muscle bodies.

It's really a great design for this type of body. Nothing will ever beat all plastic, articulation focused bodies for posability, but I can't imagine getting more more out of a body made to look real as you do from this new design. It's the best mix of the looks you'd get from the old muscle bodies and the articulation you get from a traditional TT body.

No, it's rubber covered. It's like 1/8 inch thick rubber skin over a hard plastic build. They did that because it hides a neck joint so the neck flows seemlessly into the shoulders, but it's still posable. PVC would mean no neck posability like the old muscle bodies.

It's really a great design for this type of body. Nothing will ever beat all plastic, articulation focused bodies for posability, but I can't imagine getting more more out of a body made to look real as you do from this new design. It's the best mix of the looks you'd get from the old muscle bodies and the articulation you get from a traditional TT body.

Yeah that's what i meant,if it's just the Chest and neck that is Rubber covered over the plastic.I do understand the purpose of this design now that you mention it and it's new to me.Wolverine has the same chest/Neck design?

Yeah that's what i meant,if it's just the Chest and neck that is Rubber covered over the plastic.I do understand the purpose of this design now that you mention it and it's new to me.Wolverine has the same chest/Neck design?

Wolverine, The Comedian, Whiplash, Perseus, Prince Dastan, Royce and the T-800 are the other figures I know of that employ this design.

I do wish they would make a hard plastic chest/neck with the same detailing as these hybrid bodies. The Ezio/Perseus/etc chest/neck is not as realistic as these.
Not complaining - it would just be nice to have another option for those that worry about deteriorating rubber.

They could do the neck and chest as PVC, but to stay articulated, they'd have to do it like a traditional TT Body and just make those 2 parts like the arms. I think they're trying to hide articulation as much as they can so they use the rubber sheath.

I've read horror stories, but I've yet to have an issue with a rubber HT figure falling apart, 3 Rambos, 1 Rocky, Wolverine, 2 T-800s, 3 Batmans, Elizabeth Swan, 2 Sarah Connors.

The only issue I ever had was the oil problem with DX Batman which was a production flaw right from the start, but nothing's ever broken down or cracked on me yet.

They could do the neck and chest as PVC, but to stay articulated, they'd have to do it like a traditional TT Body and just make those 2 parts like the arms. I think they're trying to hide articulation as much as they can so they use the rubber sheath.

My thought was the same limited articulation as the Ezio (double ball joint at the top of the neck) since I personally rarely crane necks forward at the clavicle area.

I've read horror stories, but I've yet to have an issue with a rubber HT figure falling apart, 3 Rambos, 1 Rocky, Wolverine, 2 T-800s, 3 Batmans, Elizabeth Swan, 2 Sarah Connors.

The only issue I ever had was the oil problem with DX Batman which was a production flaw right from the start, but nothing's ever broken down or cracked on me yet.

My experience has been similar. The only rubber issue I've ever had with a 1/6 figure is the costume on a Takara Batman Begins fig that I got second hand, but that's hardly the same thing.
In fact I think there are far more people complaining about the rubber issues than people who have actually experienced them.
Nevertheless, it is likely that we will see a breakdown in the long term. I'm not worried about it. I'd just like as many options as possible.

I'm not really worried about the rubber breaking down over time. I have a cheap, $20 rubber Godzilla from 1998 that is still in the condition today it was 13 years ago, no cracking or hardening or anything. I can't imagine the rubber from a cheap toy would be better than that used on a $150+ figure, I could be wrong, but I would think HT would have the sense to use durable materials.

Things can go wrong in manufacturing of course, but as a whole, the idea of rubber doesn't overly frighten me. It makes me cautious, I always adhere to whatever instructions HT sends with the particular figure, but I'm pretty confident buying these things that I won't be left with a rotted body in 5-10 years. I've already had Rambo for 5 years and he's fine.

Rubber?I thought this and Wolverine was hard Plastic,not rubber.I haven't bought any action based figures last year so i have no clue.

Kind of a mix of the two, the bottom half of the torso is hard plastic and most of the arms are as well but the mid/upper torso and back are a soft pliable rubber that is more flexible and not really hard plastic.

Only problems I've ever read were people with bending the heads down too far and it causes small scratches on the neck/adams apples sort of area.

IMGP2167a.JPG

IMGP2145a.JPG

IMGP2138a.JPG

figuremaniac.blogspot.com

I've read and seen pictures of the rubber cracking and coming apart exposing parts of muscle bodies or breaking down, I've just yet to personally see it. I often wonder if some of these more isolated incidents have to do with the conditions of display and storage and not the actually materials and figure.

Nothing here as well personally, lots of rubber incidents with Dutch I hear from others and today mine is still in perfect great shape.

That's rubber vs the new style of bodies anyways and nothing at all from the new style.

I'm not concerned as well.

Back