NEW HT PREDATOR, 'Dutch' full spec and hi-res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No hes not. Unlike Dutch there were no unpleasant surprises with Billy. We got exactly what we knew to expect. He's neither overwhelming nor underwhelming...just whelming. The outfit is well done and with a hair repaint he looks like the actor from behind for those 'staring into the trees' scenes.

That's what happens when you don't have the likeness rights.:monkey2

Which is why I don't see other members of the team, except maybe Dillon whose portrait already exists at HT, because the license doesn't cover likenesses and that can be a deterrent nowadays. Only thing I don't get is, the ALIENS non-liknesses were pretty close, but the cleanly painted versions of Billy I've seen posted here don't really look close to Sonny, Wookster's Billy shots have been the only ones I really thought there was Sonny potential in the head. If it weren't for the coolness of the suits, I'm sure the ALIEN figures wouldn't have done so well, especially Kane, but even Dallas isn't as good a Tom Skerrit likeness as HT's capable of.

ewww that billy really is lame :sick hot toys first flop maybe :dunno

He's actually pretty good in hand when all kitted up, but he will always be in Dutch's shadow for virtually every aspect of the two figures.

billypose3.jpg
billypose1.jpg

2figs1-2.jpg

I'm guessing Billy's gloves are just rehashed from some other HT figure, they should be black to match the film.

I'm guessing Billy's gloves are just rehashed from some other HT figure, they should be black to match the film.

Have to admit I didn't pick up on that, you're almost certainly right about the re-use!

I might not under normal circumstances, but I was just watching Predator last night and they're very much black when Billy's climbing before he finds the hanging bodies.

A few of the team members have tipless gloves like Dutch, Billy and Dillon for sure have full gloves, which means likely anyone with those woudl rehash the gloves Billy has.

yeah billy with his gear on looks pretty cool actually. His equipment is better then arnies ie m16 with undersling shotty and vest etc. Its not a stretch of an imagination to see his face painted in that camo. If you sit his hat on properly you don't really notice his hair that much. Im very pleased with the billy figure. I think they did a good job on him considering they couldn't get the likeness rights from ole crazy sonny landham.

Last edited:
they couldn't get the likeness rights from ole crazy sonny landham.

They probably could have. Modern films work into actor contracts rights for products, so all you need is the film license to have likeness rights.

Predator was made in days where people didn't anticipate much for products based on such films, so such rights weren't worked into the contracts. The Predator license simply grants HT the rights to designs from the film, like costumes, weapons, creatures, just not the human portraits, each of those would have to be acquired from the individuals. HT recognized the importance of Dutch looking like Schwarzenegger to the fan base and pursued his rights through his own company that controls those rights whenever a film contract doesn't (Terminator 2 movie license includes Arnold's likeness). I'm sure HT just didn't think Billy was worth pursuing Sonny, but if they really wanted to, they probably could have pursued, paid and got his rights.

They probably could have. Modern films work into actor contracts rights for products, so all you need is the film license to have likeness rights.

Predator was made in days where people didn't anticipate much for products based on such films, so such rights weren't worked into the contracts. The Predator license simply grants HT the rights to designs from the film, like costumes, weapons, creatures, just not the human portraits, each of those would have to be acquired from the individuals. HT recognized the importance of Dutch looking like Schwarzenegger to the fan base and pursued his rights through his own company that controls those rights whenever a film contract doesn't (Terminator 2 movie license includes Arnold's likeness). I'm sure HT just didn't think Billy was worth pursuing Sonny, but if they really wanted to, they probably could have pursued, paid and got his rights.

Knowing how xenophobic crazy ol' Sonny is these days, he probably wouldn't give his license to any one other than Hitler

Cool pic there. That looks like a modded Dutch neck, no?

How do you get the Knife sheath to fit on Billy's chest? Mine doesn't appear to have anything for the velcro to attach to.

You have to bind/tape it. You get a sheet of leather effect sticky backed tape in with the instructions. Just cut a couple of strips and bind it to the green webbing on the left of his chest. It's actually pretty straightforward.

When I first saw these I wondered if we'd have to dress them in the same way the HT modern military are dressed... the detailing is insane on them and every aspect is like 1/6 facsimile of the 'field' worn original. To say it's fiddly would be the understatement of the year.
Here are a couple of reviews I did-

Hot Toys 75th Ranger (with M249)
https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_101008b.htm

Hot Toys Blues and Royals (x 2)
https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_122608b.htm

These are a cakewalk compared to them!

EDIT

And no neck mods, mine will be staying as is, if you plan on using the jacket, which I do, then I think his head would dissapear if it was shortened.

Last edited:
yeah i was wondering how the hell to get the knife on until i realised what you gotta do is take the sticky attached tape that comes with the figure and put it all the way around the back of the green strap attached to the vest he has and back around the knife cover, then it fits fine, just make sure you put a lot on.

I really should start looking at the instructions to these figures! I didn't have a clue what that sheet was for.

I don't actually think it's in the instructions, I didn't fully check, but that's deffinetly where the sheet of stuff is.

I'm sure HT just didn't think Billy was worth pursuing Sonny, but if they really wanted to, they probably could have pursued, paid and got his rights.

then why even bother with the billy character? :confused:

it's not like he was a pivotal or hugely popular character. i'd rather they had done blaine. surely jesse ventura's likeness rights would've been easier to get compared to el loco sonny? (just a wild guess btw).

blaine with his "ol painless" mini gun would've been awesome! and a battle-damaged version with his chest blown open woul've been even more awesome! :D

then why even bother with the billy character? :confused:

I really don't know, I've felt it was an odd choice from the beginning, perhaps because of his weaponry or clothing or that he's one of the other muscular guys to go head to head with the Predator, but then why not Dillon. Billy was an odd choice for sure, and if they don't do the full team, he'll seem even more odd, maybe there's a logic to their choice but I can't see it.

Which is why I don't see other members of the team, except maybe Dillon whose portrait already exists at HT, because the license doesn't cover likenesses and that can be a deterrent nowadays. Only thing I don't get is, the ALIENS non-liknesses were pretty close, but the cleanly painted versions of Billy I've seen posted here don't really look close to Sonny, Wookster's Billy shots have been the only ones I really thought there was Sonny potential in the head. If it weren't for the coolness of the suits, I'm sure the ALIEN figures wouldn't have done so well, especially Kane, but even Dallas isn't as good a Tom Skerrit likeness as HT's capable of.

I think you should probably wait until you get yours in hand before judging the piece. You're clearly wrong:

I'll do you one better viper:

10predatorprivatebillyswf6.png

I think you should probably wait until you get yours in hand before judging the piece. You're clearly wrong:

You clearly don't know that's a photoshop job, and the prototype head.

ACTUAL repaint:

dsc05373w.jpg

He looks more like Krycek from X-Files than Sonny to me, which is the image I based my comment on.

You clearly don't know that's a photoshop job, and the prototype head.

ACTUAL repaint:

dsc05373w.jpg

He looks more like Krycek from X-Files than Sonny to me, which is the image I based my comment on.

I know the pic I posted was photoshopped, but that repaint... :yuck Don't base your opinion off of that. We both know, being SW collectors, how badly poor paint aps can affect a figure.

Back