Official "The Dark Knight" SPOILER Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty confident they won't but I think they can see that a PG-13 film that can attract teenagers has a bigger potential for profit.

Rated PG-13
Dark Knight: 440m+
Pirates 2: 420m+
Spider-Man: 400m+
Episode III: 380m+
LOTR: ROTK: 380m+
Spidey 2: 370m+
Jurassic Park: 357m+
Transformers: 319m+
Iron Man: 316m+
Indy IV: 314m+

Rated R
Matrix 2: 281m+
300: 210m+
Matrix: 171m+

There's no comparison when it comes to box office potential for films that have ratings that allow families and teens to buy tickets. Do they want to turn away teenagers all summer, or have them come back for their fifth and sixth viewing? Movies like these make the money over time in part due to repeat business from adolescents, which can't happen when it receives an R rating.

I should make it clear that I don't want to see a PG-13 Watchmen, but there's got to be some accountants at WB who are dreaming of it.

Good points but the main factor those movies did so well is that their properties were household names before they were movies. The PG-13 rating happens more when there's already an audience or name recognition.

Watchemen and the Matrix and 300 can only be made rated R because no one is familiar with them. If they were well known they'd become watered down like Die Hard 4 or retooled like Terminator 4... and finding themselves with a PG-13 rating.

The new trend in movies is giving an IMAX or 3-D or an R rated treatment because these are areas where television and home viewing can't compete. Television has been so hammered by what George Carlin called the "professional Christians" in the past 8 years that the only place to see anything fresh and edgy is the multiplex. When they've tried to do anything like that on TV all these groups get involved and suddely the only advocates in this country seem to be pro-censorship ones.

So Watchmen benfits from having just enough of an audience to justify making a film but not so great of an audience that they try to water it down to appeal to everyone. Like Sin City and 300, this gives the film makers the freedom to "super serve" their audience -- they get to make a film that appeals to who they think their audience is even at the expense of people who wouldn't be interested in the film in the first place.

Television has been so hammered by what George Carlin called the "professional Christians" in the past 8 years that the only place to see anything fresh and edgy is the multiplex. When they've tried to do anything like that on TV all these groups get involved and suddely the only advocates in this country seem to be pro-censorship ones.

For example?

For example?

Well there was the Book of Danial. It was pulled not due to low viewers but by the weight of certain Christian groups. There's Coupling that only got 3 episodes aired. Only 2 in Salt Lake City. And there's watch dog groups out there that pester the networks with little things. What offends me is when people on TV say, "Oh my gosh." I scream at the TV, "It's oh my god! Gosh isn't a noun!" Also thanks to those watch dog groups they can't say "goddamn it" anymore or "goddamn to hell" or "Jesus Christ!" excepting Conan O'Brian who likes to have an actor dressed as Jesus Christ enter and then Conan can exclaim, "Jesus Christ!" to a great laugh. And now that the FCC claim was overthrown and with the benfit of time I think we can all look back and say, we all have nipples and there was no reason for people to fall apart over seeing Janette Jackson's.

Just got my "luck maker" in the mail today. Whoo-Hoo!!

DoubleFacedCoin042.jpg

DoubleFacedCoin041.jpg

DoubleFacedCoin039.jpg

DoubleFacedCoin037.jpg

I got a similer coin with my McDonalds meal, it was a Kennedy, which I scratched up and painted. Eh, it'll work for the halloween costume.

Wow.... That's awesome. Maybe Tropic Thunder will dethrone it. :lol

I went and saw this for the 4th time last week and it was amazing that the theater was still packed with people to see it, even in my small town. I was really shocked. And I have to say that even after viewing number 4, I am not tired of it. I leave wanting more, it's just crazy how much I love this movie. I seriously could go and see it yet again...

Tropic Thunder looks great! And on a whim, I watched Dark Knight tonight at the Imax again, by myself for the first time actually. This is my 5th viewing. And it was STILL packed with people at the 7 pm showing!!:horror

Oh, and I finally got to hear where the track "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" from the soundtrack comes in. It's at the end!:joy

Half is when Bruce is going after Mr. Reese in the van, and the other is in the middle of Anarchy when he's kicking the crap out of the swat team.

Mike that's pretty cool, where'd you get it?

After much analysis there is a run going on at The RPF. I was fortunate to get in early.

That coin is very cool.

I love it, it feels just like a real coin and is metal to boot. The scratched side looks burned and even flakes off if you touch it. Very authentic.

A Dog Chasing Cars isn't at all from when Bruce is following Reese with Gordon's men, that whole moment is covered in "And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad", I think Dog Chasing is music not used in the movie after the first few minutes capture the tension building on the boats and the rooftop dialogue between Batman and Gordon before he leaps over to the Joker's building. I can't figure it out, but there's some music bridging Dog Chasing and Introduce a Little Anarchy which covers the entire SWAT fight and Joker beating Batman with the pipe and dogs.

A Dog Chasing Cars isn't at all from when Bruce is following Reese with Gordon's men, that whole moment is covered in "And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad", I think Dog Chasing is music not used in the movie after the first few minutes capture the tension building on the boats and the rooftop dialogue between Batman and Gordon before he leaps over to the Joker's building. I can't figure it out, but there's some music bridging Dog Chasing and Introduce a Little Anarchy which covers the entire SWAT fight and Joker beating Batman with the pipe and dogs.

Yeah, it isn't in the movie itself. It's in the end credits right at the beginning. I actually sat through the end credits for the first time today, hehe.

These early pre-Heath Ledger Joker conceptual designs can be found in The Art of The Dark Knight. I was shocked to discover that the Joker design they eventually settled on, actually seems a lot tamer than some of the early concepts. I recommend picking up the book, as it also features the entire shooting script.

jokerart2.jpg

jokerart3.jpg

jokerart1.jpg

jokerart4.jpg

rotten14.jpg

notice they all look like punks? they kinda look like johhny rotten... maybe thats where they got all the anarchy attitude from.

Not sure if this was discussed before, but almost a month after seeing TDK, I realized today that this poster (one of the more popular TDK posters out there) has no relation to any of the events in the movie itself. Slow and a month late, but still worth mentioning, I'd say.

april-dark-knight-poster.jpg

It's kind of misleading now that I think about it. The image is so epic, with Batman set against a building ablaze with a fiery bat-symbol, debris flying everywhere and people running around panicking (that's my impression). Remember a month ago when we were speculating as to the who, whats, whys, and hows of the events that could have possibly lead to such a scene as image on this poster? Ahh, good times.

It's just a movie poster to get your attention. Tons of posters are made the same way.

Yes, you're right, excuse me but I can't seem to think of any recent ones that evoke a very specific image or scene that would lead people to deduce that it is contained in the final movie like this TDK poster does. Most movie posters just have the main cast displayed on a generic background that is connected to the movie in the usual obligatory way.

Back