Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of these films I've had to repair and splice back together, but as a veteran projectionist this was no problem for me....

Good lord... another POTA fan who was also a projectionist? GADS!!! :google:google:google

I have been one off and on for about 27 years! I'm only part time now... it's still fun after all these years and it brings in a little chunk of cash on the side. :D

And I get any poster or trailer I want. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

p.s. I too have that POTA teacher's guide. I picked it up at a Star Trek convention back in the mid-70's.

Proto...

I work in the entertainment business also, television.

I can trace back my career and my interest in the business to one thing...

Planet of the Apes.

It's True! I shot a super-8 Planet of the Apes film based on the TV series as a senior project in high school! Make-up by me, costumes by me.

I haven't put down the camera since. Now of course it is a television camera.

Good lord... another POTA fan who was also a projectionist? GADS!!! :google:google:google

I have been one off and on for about 27 years! I'm only part time now... it's still fun after all these years and it brings in a little chunk of cash on the side. :D

And I get any poster or trailer I want. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

p.s. I too have that POTA teacher's guide. I picked it up at a Star Trek convention back in the mid-70's.

Yeah I was an IMAX Supervisor a couple of years ago, that's how I hurt my back on the job, which ended my career.:monkey2 The teacher's guide was a fun quick read.

Jom - Unfortunately my collection is not in a climate controlled environment, and some do smell of vinegar, it is a dying media, but I still enjoy running them and can fix them if they jam in either of my projectors. My brother and I collected these films from various sources over the years and most were never properly taken care of to begin with, but like I said they run great and look great, and I'm really glad to be able to experience them first hand. If you guys were local I'd put on a film marathon for you. :D

Proto...

I work in the entertainment business also, television.

I can trace back my career and my interest in the business to one thing...

Planet of the Apes.

It's True! I shot a super-8 Planet of the Apes film based on the TV series as a senior project in high school! Make-up by me, costumes by me.

I haven't put down the camera since. Now of course it is a television camera.

That's awesome Jom, We never knew. Do you still have any footage? We could get it telecine'd for you and put it on a mini DV tape, at least you'd have a digital copy of your Super 8 work.

In that film I sent you guys the underwater scene was filmed on a Super 8. I was trying it as an experiment, that's why a lot of the shots may seem out of focus. I didn't know that the camera didn't have a macro lens and never used a Super 8 before. I wish film wasn't so expensive it's a fun media.

Nice postcards!! I think I especially like the "Go Ape" one. I always loved that one.
And Happy Birthday to you as well!!
Let us know when your taking the film show on the road. :D

Hey Sticks...

I don't have the film anymore. My partner in the project had it and I've lost touch with him, Life happens. He shot most of the film I was busy playing the part of Galen and doing the make-up and costumes. I shot the scenes he was in.

The movie was overly long at 45+ minutes. It lacked pacing, plot and just about everything else including acting. To its credit it had production values...
Costumes, make-up, masks, locations. We even managed to borrow a horse for the gorilla on horseback obligatory shot.

I do have a black and white promo shot of myself as Galen along with friends who played Pete and Alan. I'm not sure where I have it stored but if it turns up I'll scan it and post it.

Nice postcards!! I think I especially like the "Go Ape" one. I always loved that one.
And Happy Birthday to you as well!!
Let us know when your taking the film show on the road. :D
Thanks IM
:rotfl I wish, I'd say all those films weigh over 1000 lbs.
Yes, The go ape is my favorite to. You know I love the gorillas.

My brother and I would shoot me and a friend of mine "monkeying around" in our home made gorilla costumes (I had the Don Post mask) while we lived on a military base in Marin County in the mid 70's. I hope my brother doesn't have any of that footage... it would make some great blackmail material against me. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

It's funny, I was going to shoot my "Return to the Planet of the Apes" script (before there was a cartoon series by that name :rolleyes:) near some abandoned hangars on the base. However, we moved away before I could do so. Years later, those hangers would be shot for the opening scenes of "Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom". :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

I did dabble a bit in makeup thanks to my interest in Planet of the Apes... I even joined my high school drama club in hopes to apply some makeup for their theater productions. But I didn't stay with it. A friend of mine, however, who I met at a Star Trek Convention went on into the makeup field working on some rather high profile productions. Here's his IMDb listing:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0684968/

Last edited:
Very imressive resume. To bad you don't have that footage anymore Proto, it would be fun to see.

Jom those S8 films are by KEN Films. I guess they are the early release because they are silent and are B/W. I still want to get the colored versions with sound:monkey5

That's just a great memory, Proto...

I find it interesting to hear how this film and its sequels and TV series influenced my generation.

Anyone else... please chime in.

Is it me or is this thread finally dying? You guys have been so quite as of late. Throwing in the towel?:lol

Is it me or is this thread finally dying? You guys have been so quite as of late. Throwing in the towel?:lol

This means
WAR
GeneralUrsusIIStill-3.jpg

Attack!!!!

Is this silly ape kidding?

Jom I loved your response, my wife and I loved that video.:rotfl

Hey I've already seen that photo! :lol
I guess I stirred a hornets nest.:monkey3

Alls quiet before the storm eh?

Any update on the reported SideShow Ape announcement?

This means
WAR

Attack!!!!

I'm glad you and your wife loved my response. I am also glad she is a semi- Ape fan. She has to be to be married to you.

This means
WAR

Attack!!!!

I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed the video. She has to be a very tolerent person to put up with the likes of us ape fans. My girlfriend of 15 plus years is just getting used to it.

I would like to turn this blonde haired figure into Brent! The DML bodies are a little shorter than the Sideshow bodies, so matching this figure to the Sideshow Taylor figure should be more accurate. Especially for the jail cell fight scene. :cool:

Back