Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know. I wanted to get some stuff done today but was out. Glad my mom wasn't home today or she would have woken me up. Guess I needed the sleep.

Congratulations to your daughter. That is always a big step.

A couple of questions, the Ada Burke, will it be bobble head size like the original Armando?

Also, I see Ada has now listed her Brent sculpt on ebay. Did someone pay for that sculpt? If so, I think that is hardly ethical....

I took my girl friend to the Poets and Pirates tour that included Kenney Chesney, Gary Allan, Keith Urban, and Sammy Hagar. LeAnn Rimes back out do to some medical thing.:rolleyes:

A couple of questions, the Ada Burke, will it be bobble head size like the original Armando?

Also, I see Ada has now listed her Brent sculpt on ebay. Did someone pay for that sculpt? If so, I think that is hardly ethical....

I did not see that. This is why we should support the denizens of Central City and purchase the casts of Brent from the person who commissioned the sculpt instead of through Ada.

I wonder to see if she is testing the waters to see the popularity of Planet of the Apes. It's been awhile she had sculpted him, so I am surprised she is offering him on Ebay now.

Last edited:
I took my girl friend to the Poets and Pirates tour that included Kenney Chesney, Gary Allan, Keith Urban, and Sammy Hagar. LeAnn Rimes back out do to some medical thing.:rolleyes:

How was that, Kfog? Must have been spectacular.

She's been offering Brent for a while and was offering the brothers from Supernatural, who were commissioned by WST on this board, before the final heads were even approved. I'm kinda starting to think that every head we see from her was commissioned by someone out there and she's just selling copies. Her range is too wide for your normal sculptor. Most everyone is doing the modern "flavor of the week" celebrity or the non-stop Indy, etc heads. She is ranging from Sean Penn to Gene Barry to Robert Blake to Michael Douglas to Chuck Connors.... She's all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it. I never thought I'd get a Gene Barry or Chuck Connors. I just think that thats how she's doing it. You pay for her to sculpt and you get casts of it. She keeps the mold and the ability to sell copies on other venues.
Just my take on it.

I'm just curious Ironman. Do other commissioned sculptors charge a large, upfront, fee of a couple hundred dollars, to the person who commissioned the sculpt, and then turn around and sell copies of it to other interested parties for a $5 - $35 price tag?
Angel, I can't say that all do it, but I do know of other sculptors who do. If it is not specifically agreed upon at the time of the commission, copies of a head you paid to have sculpted could wind up out there for anyone to own. I don't really see a problem with the sculptor selling copies of work that he or she made, as long as the original commission gets theirs first and it is made to their specifications. For example, if someone that does not frequent these forums wound up doing an Ebay search for custom heads, and came across Ricardo Montalban, they could add a sculpt to their collection that otherwise they may not have thought of. They in turn may wind up commissioning a sculpt that others here may have overlooked but would buy.

Last edited:
Do you guys know of the names of other sculptors out there? Just wondering. I saw Ada Chan's Ebay listing, and I see as others have mentioned that she is stronger sculpting features of men than women. Wonder how she would do sculpting an ape???

There are lots of sculptors out there. Each in varying degrees. Jim Maddox is the guy who sculpts for Frontline Hero Heads. Then there's the many sculptors right here on this board [apologizing in advance if I overlook anyone in this quick reply] like Andy Bergholtz, "Spenser", Shawn from Sovereign Studio, Joy & Tom Studios, Chris Howes...
Just a few off the top of my head.
Ada sculpting an ape? Hmmm, it does peak my interest... :rolleyes:

Yes, I would love to see Ada sculpt an ape and see how she does. I think she would excel in it.

Here is Burke's vest using the knit fabric I found at the fabric store and the one that Angel sent. Not sure if I will have time later to make it, but I would like to start Virdon's blouse so you guys can see the two fabrics. He's also wearing the pants I made from an old pair of pants that I found at a thrift shop. I still have to extend his sleeves--didn't have time, but I'll make sure all the Burke shirts have longer sleeves to hide his joints. I pulled the right sleeve down longer than the other side for the photograph--that's why they don't match.

Burke002.jpg

Burke005.jpg

Burkes clothes look Great to me Jessica! I really do like what you’ve done. How hard was this on a scale of 1 to 10?

The biggest thing that outfit really needs is some distressing, especially the blue shirt. We'll get some pointers from Jungle on that... I don't expect you to do that.

Did you give him that crazy pocket on his pants? Can’t quite tell from the picture.

After we all add his rope belt and his moccasins, and perhaps a backpack, he’ll be looking ready for a new adventure on the planet of the apes.

Thanks for reminding me about the crazy pockets. I haven't done that, but I also am going to remove the outside seam of the pants to make them look less formal and I think I should remove the hem too. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the hardest, this outfit was 1. It was VERY easy. I expect Virdon's to be the same. Armando's, which requires more tailoring, will be more difficult, as well as Cornelius's dinner jacket.

I have been sick this whole week too. I got the flu last Saturday/Sunday, and went to work. It developed into a cold and got super bad as the week progressed. I didn't go to work Thursday/Friday and I slept ALL day yesterday. I feel better now, but my throat still hurts at night. It calms down a bit with cough drops though.

Here is Burke's vest using the knit fabric I found at the fabric store and the one that Angel sent. Not sure if I will have time later to make it, but I would like to start Virdon's blouse so you guys can see the two fabrics. He's also wearing the pants I made from an old pair of pants that I found at a thrift shop. I still have to extend his sleeves--didn't have time, but I'll make sure all the Burke shirts have longer sleeves to hide his joints. I pulled the right sleeve down longer than the other side for the photograph--that's why they don't match.

The Burke outfit looks perfect! This wknd I bought a bunch of 12" figures specifically for Burke, Virdon and Armando.

ANG/JESS - Hope you feel better.

I'm doing some plastic surgery at the moment. Ironman sent me five of his ape heads and they've all gone under the knife without any anesthetic whatsoever. Before long they’ll all have nice bright smiles with BIG pearly whites! (Don’t worry IM, none of them will be “whistling.”):angelsmil

I'm doing some plastic surgery at the moment. Ironman sent me five of his ape heads and they've all gone under the knife without any anesthetic whatsoever. Before long they’ll all have nice bright smiles with BIG pearly whites! (Don’t worry IM, none of them will be “whistling.”):angelsmil

Aw, shoot! Thanks for the reminder, Angel. I almost forgot. I'll try to mail my Dr. Zaius out something to you tomorrow. I'll be too busy today catching up at work. :monkey2

Can I also send an Ursus head over to you and you can wrangle off his helmet for me? I don't care how you take the helmet off. I was tempted to break it off with a hammer, but I didn't want to hurt Ursus's face.

Last edited:
That's a great idea. I only wanted the helmet off, but I prefer to see a little bit of pearly whites on Ursus, too.

I originally wanted to sew Virdon's shirt yesterday, but we went out for a late lunch/early dinner...and when we got back I only had time to finish 3 complete Burke shirts with the longer sleeves for IM, Snick and Kfog. Angel did you want a shirt for Burke, too? I'm going to add myself to the list. I have enough blue fabric left to make 5 or 6 more.

Last edited:
I originally wanted to sew Virdon's shirt yesterday, but we went out for a late lunch/early dinner...and when we got back I only had time to finish 3 complete Burke shirts with the longer sleeves for IM, Snick and Kfog. Angel did you want a shirt for Burke, too? I'm going to add myself to the list. I have enough blue fabric left to make 5 or 6 more.

That's great! Thx Jess. I can't get over how fast you work.

Back