Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the Hot Toys license as much as I adore the established characters it would be cool to see new ones.

Here's an image of a model kit I made some years back - it's based on APES but it's an all new, original character and remains my favorite of all my APE kits.

Dave

Hey, Ironman...got the helmet, thanks...but it's still too small...so I will send it back. Good try, though...but the good news is, I fixed your Burke!!!! It's the first time I tried to sculpt Ada hair....

Drizzle, one can only hope to dream big!!! Why aim for the moon when you can try for Bellatrix?

You can hope, but be prepared to have those hopes dashed more often than not. The way I see it, the only real chance you have for "new" characters (and it's really a stretch calling it new) is if they decide to do the "Ape-o-nauts" first because HT likes spacesuits.
Sorry, after 41 years on this earth, I tend to be a realist. (not to mention a realist with a marketing degree)

I think with a great paintjob, this guy could really look like Burke...

IMG_5311.jpg
IMG_5312.jpg

IMG_5313.jpg
IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5315.jpg

Last edited:
You can hope, but be prepared to have those hopes dashed more often than not. The way I see it, the only real chance you have for "new" characters (and it's really a stretch calling it new) is if they decide to do the "Ape-o-nauts" first because HT likes spacesuits.
Sorry, after 41 years on this earth, I tend to be a realist. (not to mention a realist with a marketing degree)

I am a die-hard ape fanatic. Nothing can ever make me feel the pain and suffering I experienced watching the 2001 Burton fiasco. :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4 Childbirth with a last-minute C-section was milder. Talk about major disappointment. I would love to see new characters, but I am just happy to see my apes alive and kicking...in real life, and not just in my head.

I am a die-hard ape fanatic. Nothing can ever make me feel the pain and suffering I experienced watching the 2001 Burton fiasco. :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4 Childbirth with a last-minute C-section was milder. Talk about major disappointment. I would love to see new characters, but I am just happy to see my apes alive and kicking...in real life, and not just in my head.

You are definitely a diehard. :D I didn't think the Burton movie was all that good, but I still enjoy it once a year or so just as a "popcorn" movie. The story is fairly pedestrian, but I do marvel at the makeup, and the fact that the apes do retain a bit more "real apeness" over the classic films. I'd love figures of 1 or 2 of those characters just due to the meticulous detail of the design.
I do wish, however, that they could have made a sequel- the calamity at the end of the modern movie is a far more interesting setup than the preceeding movie itself.
That said, I'm a Roddy McDowall fan first, and I am excited at the thought of seeing the amazing detail Hot Toys will bring to a sculpt of him, and hopefully a much better expression than SS's "pissed off" looking Cornelius.

Jess, Burke looks great!! I see you filled out his face a bit as well.
I can't believe the hasbro helmet is still too small. How much hair did you put onthat gorilla head??? :monkey5 It fits my custom Urko head, and Ursus shouldn't be all that much more haired up than he his. Either way, please feel free to keep the helmet. You may yet find a decent use for it.
Smugster, what scale is that ape model in? More importantly, if its 1:6 can casts be made of the head?? :monkey3
I see both options for the HT apes being viable. I would love to see new characters done for the license, but even if they redo some/all that SS did, we'll still have "new" looking apes..
I think molded hair is the way they'll go, and it will keep prices from being even higher.

You are definitely a diehard. :D I didn't think the Burton movie was all that good, but I still enjoy it once a year or so just as a "popcorn" movie. The story is fairly pedestrian, but I do marvel at the makeup, and the fact that the apes do retain a bit more "real apeness" over the classic films. I'd love figures of 1 or 2 of those characters just due to the meticulous detail of the design.
I do wish, however, that they could have made a sequel- the calamity at the end of the modern movie is a far more interesting setup than the preceeding movie itself.
That said, I'm a Roddy McDowall fan first, and I am excited at the thought of seeing the amazing detail Hot Toys will bring to a sculpt of him, and hopefully a much better expression than SS's "pissed off" looking Cornelius.

I don't mind that Cornelius looks pissed off. If you take photos from above and not include his eyes, you completely erase that expression. I never thought of him looking pissed off. I think of him as looking pensive.

And wow...I just will never bring myself to see the Burton fiasco ever again. I don't need to see Michael Jackson rubbing on Marky Mark.

There is a General Thade on the Forum of the Apes who is making his own General Thade costume, and it's looking freakingly yummilicious, even if it's from that godawful movie...

I love Roddy McDowall a lot. I rewatch the TV series and have it in the background only to hear his voice.

Last edited:
Ironman, If I can't fix up the roughness of the Apoxie tonight, I am going to take a hammer to his head. I want to re-do Burke's hair this weekend, using sculpey, because I don't like the rough look of the Apoxie.

At least it's a gorilla! And General Ursus was not from the first movie, so there is hope for some Ape-o-nauts!! I am glad to see Hot Toys tackling General Ursus because the Sideshow one was just godawful!!! I hope they get that havelock to hang just right.

Hot dang and yes, I see a flag...the apes are ready to invade invade invade:maul

Oh, by the way, I just found out that Lonnie at Frontline is able to cast in silicon/rubber and a new translucent silicone that is frighteningly lifelike.
Here is a pic I saw over on the scifimilitary site. I don't believe this one is Lonnie's but it shows what can be done:
al4.jpg

Back