Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting theory, lerath.

That said, I'm holding off ordering. I'm projecting three things all coming in at around the same time next year: this Vader, Tama R2, and Mark 42 Iron Man. I'm committed to getting the Tama R2, but I wouldn't be able to get both Vader and the Mark 42. I have the ANH Vader, and I have a few other Iron Men, so I can't truly justify either of the two--they're just variants.

So it will just boil down to whether I have some extra cash when the time comes, see which one is still available and which one is coming out first.

Except It's not a theory. It's what silent surfer told us sideshow started doing while he worked for them as a painter, and does now.

OR the short version, EVERY release is inclusive now.

Last edited:
For 50 bucks more, it seems I could have gotten that big hunk of wal mart green plastic figure they are calling "the Hulk." talk about rip off coupled with blatant crap.

I personally really like the stamped pleat costume when I saw it at Comic Con, seemed to have an alright fit etc. then but I am relying on memory. I do hope they tailor the leg fit a bit more, I never pose figures like Vader in extreme ways as that's not what he would've done on film.
I think the helmet still has some shaping problems and am kinda disappointed they chose to hybrid Shaw and Christiansen. That would've been okay for an exclusive but I want the sad lumpy guy I saw revealed in the movie, not an interpretation of what he might've looked like years prior. I mean this is the Jedi version after all.
I think the lights on his outfit are essential and am thrilled they included them. Some characters could easily have painted tech (IG-88 comes to mind), but those lights on Vader really help shape him I think, though it does bring up the cost.

Not sure what you saw... but at SDCC it looks like they were still using the sewn/less shiny material. This bodysuit looks good to me and seems to fit well... but my suspicion is this was the earlier mock-up and not what we're getting as a suit material.

IMG_4759.jpg

That would be a shame, since the body suit on that looks pretty good. I suspect this figure will look a lot better in production, though, and futzed. From out-of-the-box pics, I didn't much care for the ANH version, either, but modded there's no denying it's a beautiful representation of Vader (KD's being one of the best examples, if I'm remembering correctly).

Yeah, the ANH Vader had the essentials down and was decent out of the box. But with some upgrades and a bit of work it can be an excellent figure. And I'd agree KD's is I think the nicest I've seen.

Not sure what you saw... but at SDCC it looks like they were still using the sewn/less shiny material. This bodysuit looks good to me and seems to fit well... but my suspicion is this was the earlier mock-up and not what we're getting as a suit material.

IMG_4759.jpg

That's my memory right there! I had complimented team SS on their leather feat then and they told me it was a stamped fabric, not sewn. Perhaps the material has been changed up....

That would be a shame, since the body suit on that looks pretty good. I suspect this figure will look a lot better in production, though, and futzed. From out-of-the-box pics, I didn't much care for the ANH version, either, but modded there's no denying it's a beautiful representation of Vader (KD's being one of the best examples, if I'm remembering correctly).

IMG_4759.jpg

That's my memory right there! I had complimented team SS on their leather feat then and they told me it was a stamped fabric, not sewn. Perhaps the material has been changed up....

The one at SDCC was a mock-up using the ANH version as a base, for the record.

I think the biggest issue that I have is he looks too stumpy to me. The proportion of his lower body appear to be off.

IMG_4759.jpg

Did anyone notice the "Attack of the Clones" base Vader is standing on back then? :lol

What is the difference?

Edit: It still says "Exlusive Edition" when I looked it up.

It used to say TBD, which meant there would be a set number in the future. Now its "Limited Edition" like Hot Toys Luke, they could produce a not so "limited" amount and we'll never know the edition size.

The one at SDCC was a mock-up using the ANH version as a base, for the record.
Yes, now that you mention it, I remember reading that earlier in the thread. Makes sense.

COLLECTORS: "When did Sideshow the Wise abandon reason for madness?"

SIDESHOW: "Yaaargh!!" *raises prices even further*
:lol

It used to say TBD, which meant there would be a set number in the future. Now its "Limited Edition" like Hot Toys Luke, they could produce a not so "limited" amount and we'll never know the edition size.
For a character like Vader or Boba Fett, I think that's a great idea. Anything that'll help eliminate the speculators and flippers in this hobby is OK with me.

Not to me... its not like I'm planning on making money off this. I have lots of things with low ES and that are worth a lot so I don't care one bit how many they make of this one.

They do set a limit on both the exclusives and regular editions of these figures... but now they set the exlcusives after some period of preorders. But as far as I know they have yet to offer a figure as an open edition, although some of the older ones had ES over 10,000.

Back