SSC Duke 12 inch figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be clear I don't think Prog is worried about $5, but the idea that in the past exclusives were "included" in the price of the figure. So there was the extra incentive that if you bought direct from Sideshow, and placed that order early enough you get a bonus. Now its the same deal, but you are paying extra for what at one time was included.

Sure its only $5, but this appears to be norm, at least from the 3 figures shown at SDCC.

Now its the same deal, but you are paying extra for what at one time was included.

When you say "at one time" are you referring to back when things like rewards points didn't exist? ;) Because the $6 return you get takes care of the binocs. And all those "free" exclusives from years past were things like a tiny hologram or blaster or a single piece of cloth. Have they ever included a mixed media accessory like the binoculars before?

I wonder if people realize how they sound when they complain about $5 extra for a toy no one is forcing them to buy...

and I'm sure you've never complained about the prices of CDs or movie tickets or customs charges or anything...? :rolleyes:

and I think Khev makes a really good point. I mean, I accept SSC is a remarkable CS company. With their recent problems in QC, the CS becomes more important. So you've actually convinced me that it still might be worth it. Prior to the last few months I might not have thought a "warranty" was needed. But maybe now it is considering recent figures.

Galacticboy is right its the trend that I see starting that I'm "complaining about". And frankly if I join everyone and blindly accept the increase then I guess I'm condoning it...I'm just curious whats up. I mean, I already cut down most of my toy buying from over $2000 a year to closer to $1000 (I know for some of you thats chump change), but every increase leads me to cut back further.

But anyway, the condescention from some of you guys is annoying. Anyone who doesn't silently accept the price increase is a brat...pfft.?

Last edited:
When you say "at one time" are you referring to back when things like rewards points didn't exist? ;) Because the $6 return you get takes care of the binocs. And all those "free" exclusives from years past were things like a tiny hologram or blaster or a single piece of cloth. Have they ever included a mixed media accessory like the binoculars before?

Luke had cloth hat with goggles, Kit Fisto had a die-cast droid head (and while not mixed-media) that was quite impressive. Now Kit was pre-reward points, but Luke was not.

And with the Zombie figure its just an extra hand w/guts, no mixed media. So I could be wrong, but I think that paying extra for the exclusives will now be the standard.

to me, rewards points was an incentive to mitigate the price increases that were happening at that time and encourage people to buy direct from SSC still. Because as prices went up, the discounted difference between etailer and SSC direct increased.

Ie, a $50 item used to be (back at this time Alter Ego was 15% less) was $42.50. So when prices pushed $60 and $70 the going through Alter Ego started saving you $9-10 or so rather than only $7.50.

After the latest increase to $90 and $100, Alter Ego and others reduced the discount to 10%. I'm not exactly sure why, but I wager its because etailers consider saving you $10 to be still pretty good, which it is, but also perhaps because their order quantities have decreased so they are getting lower margins.

Last edited:
Sideshow's done this before. Why is this a controversy all of a sudden?

$5 extra on a $120 figure for an Exclusive should be a lot easier to digest than the $5 extra on $50 Bespin Han with the Mynock.

$5 extra on a $120 figure for an Exclusive is lot easier to digest than the $5 extra on $50 Bespin Han with the Mynock.

Not really for me. The mynock is a huge item and almost a "character in itself".

The binocs is just 1 more accessory among many. As for controversy, I think its starting to trend rather than just be the occassional thing, like the mynock was. THATS the controversy.

Back then the mynock I believe also had a very clearly presented reason during the preorder of why the price was more. I don't think SSC is offering a comment on the recent orders.

I think the price increases are getting a bit ridiculous, as I've posted before. But, Sideshow is a business that exists to to make money, and as people's expectations for what a nice figure should cost have gone up, Sideshow has followed that trend. And yeah, I know the licensing fees are pricey, and that the price of oil and Chinese labor have gone up, etc. etc., but the drastic increase in Sideshow's prices for 1/6 scale figures from just 3 or 4 years ago until today can only be understood as a case of "charging what they can" rather than "charging enough to keep up with inflation and costs" or whatever.
But anyway, the condescention from some of you guys is annoying. Anyone who doesn't silently accept the price increase is a brat...pfft.?
I get that tone from a number of posts in a number of threads and I, too, find it very annoying. If it makes you feel good about yourself trying to belittle others on a toy message forum, then you could use a bit of self-reflection, IMO.

Sideshow's done this before. Why is this a controversy all of a sudden?

$5 extra on a $120 figure for an Exclusive should be a lot easier to digest than the $5 extra on $50 Bespin Han with the Mynock.

:lol :lol way to overexaggerate the point... not a controversy; just a question and point of discussion.

My point is that it's nothing new. They've done this before on several occasions with both their 12" and PF exclusive items. I just don't understand why it would surprise anyone at this point. Hell, if anything, I'm usually surprised when the Ex. isn't $5 or so more.

to each their own conclusion, but I think charging for miniscule accessories is not the norm from historical SSC perspective.

The only time they did it with SW 12" was for the Mynock and the reasoning was clearly stated from SSC that it was because it was so big.

It's more so the incessant whining about increasing prices in every single thread. You don't want to pay that much, don't. It'll do more damage for you to pass on the item, then whine about nickel and dime price hikes. Who's forcing you to buy this? :huh Do you go and whine at car lots because the SE's have more in the package?

Sideshow could just go back to their old ways, increase the price of the standard release to match the Ex and nobody would be the wiser.

to me, rewards points was an incentive to mitigate the price increases that were happening at that time and encourage people to buy direct from SSC still. Because as prices went up, the discounted difference between etailer and SSC direct increased.

Ie, a $50 item used to be (back at this time Alter Ego was 15% less) was $42.50. So when prices pushed $60 and $70 the going through Alter Ego started saving you $9-10 or so rather than only $7.50.

After the latest increase to $90 and $100, Alter Ego and others reduced the discount to 10%. I'm not exactly sure why, but I wager its because etailers consider saving you $10 to be still pretty good, which it is, but also perhaps because their order quantities have decreased so they are getting lower margins.

What are the rules about GC and Reward points, isn't there only certain instances where you can use them?

You can use Rewards Points on pretty much anything except SDCC Exclusives.

Gift Cards can only be used for certain In-Stock merchandise (no pre-orders).

My point is that it's nothing new. They've done this before on several occasions with both their 12" and PF exclusive items. I just don't understand why it would surprise anyone at this point. Hell, if anything, I'm usually surprised when the Ex. isn't $5 or so more.

Again not that its happening, but more that it seems to now have become the norm.

But, TheNam does make a good point, if both versions were $5 more no one would have known the difference :lol

You can use Rewards Points on pretty much anything except SDCC Exclusives.

Gift Cards can only be used for certain In-Stock merchandise (no pre-orders).

Thanks!!!! :rock

One more question I've always had because I never used my points and I have well into the thousands, what it the $ per ratio on the points?

I think 20 points is a buck and the GC's are a scam, 90% of the stuff are items no one wants or the price is through the roof

5% every dollar you spend gets you 5 cents towards your next figure. An easy way to find out how much you have in $$$ is to divide the amount by 20... or multiply by .05.

Back