SSC Green Lantern 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do know what an exclusive is. But there is no number that the figures are limited to anymore.
If you look at the description of "exclusive" on the sideshow site, it means the figure is only available directly from sideshow. There is no telling if the exclusive these days is 1000 or 10,000 or more. The comparison makes perfect sense.
A figure not selling doesn't mean it's a bad figure. There are so many other reasons...

You are right there could be other reasons, but the comparison is still wrong. SS is making a regular version and an EX. There is no way they are making the same amount of EX figures as a regular run of HT figures plus regular versions. So, there are still a lot less EX than HT figures.

The lack of accessories and the higher price point is baffling. This line has all come with at least a second head until Hal. Odd they'd stop that now. And the lack of any real accessories other than swappable hands and feet is also weird as Catwoman, Joker, Batman and Harley all came with a great amount of extras. Supes even had two capes in addition to his three heads. Hal just looks incomplete compared to the rest of the line. And why would that demand a higher price? I'm on the verge of dropping my completest status on this line because of these changes. I don't know what's going on with Sideshow lately, but the Apple approach of less for more is NOT working.

Maybe they're taking a page out of Hot Toys book?
Look at the Thanos figure,yeah he's a big figure but all he comes with is an extra set of hands and a throne!

They REALLY should have included a Jon Stewart head sculpt as the second head as I think that would have been a HUGE selling point for a lot of people, or at the very least another Hal head but with the white temples.
I expect even less accessories but same price point with the Flash....who knows, maybe they are punishing us for laughing at their Superman attempt.

I read back a few pages, saw the reveal and also found out that there still are some Sideshow people who visit the forums. Knowing that, I'd like to express my being bewildered by that price. The figure looks okay -- for a $120-150 figure, not $220. This GL made AoU Cap from HT a real bargain. Only $5 more and you get 2 heads both with an actor's likeness, and would most likely turn out great in hand. No guess works or doubts that the paint job would be good at the very least.

It's hard to bet $220 to a company that's had more misses than hits lately. Better wait for the final product and even if it turns out good, will still wait for discounted prices. If the better (and cheaper) figure which is Batman is still available almost a full year after release, I don't see why this won't be in stock for a long time.

So how is it that GL has a nose whereas they fail to include one on Bats? The more I look at it the more Im liking this sculpt, not enough to plop $220 down though.

The more I look at this line, the more I think DCD did an awesome job!

I thought Supes was a stumble until I got him in hand. Great figure despite its shortcomings. Even better figure had he been a stand alone. All the other figures in this line have been great so far. DCD 13" figures were decent for what they were but still not a fantastic line for me.

Comparatively the SS line is better than the DCD 13" offerings to me. GL appears to be the stinker so far. That may change once I get him but I'll take the DCD suit design over this any day.

You are right there could be other reasons, but the comparison is still wrong. SS is making a regular version and an EX. There is no way they are making the same amount of EX figures as a regular run of HT figures plus regular versions. So, there are still a lot less EX than HT figures.
That's fair, but at the same time, when a figure is still up for sale, no one knows how many have actually been sold.
If Hot Toys makes a 10,000 Iron Man Mark pi figures, for example, and only sell 1000 of them, is that better than Sideshow making 1000 exclusive Superman figures, and selling 900 of them?
My point is that a figure still being on sale doesn't give any indication as to whether it's good or bad, because there is no telling how much has sold. It's fair to say that a figure that has sold out is likely a great figure, but that's as far as it really goes.

On top of all that's been said (price pt., lack of accessories, ss recent poor track record, costume fabric), I'm just not a fan of the sculpt. It looks a little too cartoony. We're they going for hal from challenge of the Superfriends? If so, it doesn't look like him to me.

Although I would prefer less texture on the suit, I actually quite like how he looks, really love the head sculpt as well, although I think he could stand to be a little more muscular.
I wouldn't mind the lack of accessories, if SSC hadn't already set the bar with the previous DC figures. Consider:

SSC 1/6 Catwoman $189 (non-exclusive)
Includes: 2 portraits, 1 pair goggles, 2 whips, 2 pairs boots, 1 backpack, 1 diamond, 3 pairs of hands.

SSC 1/6 Green Lantern $219 (non-exclusive), for $30 more
Includes: 2 pairs boots, 1 construct hand, 1 lantern, 3 pairs of hands, extra hand for holding lantern.

I don't mind GL being priced at $219, but out of all the Justice League figures, he really should have the most accessories. One of the reasons I like Sideshow (over Hot Toys in some cases) is the accessories provide so many posing options, so I never get tired of the figures. GL should be properly garnished, and have accessories that put him on the same level as Supes or Bats.

I'll reserve judgment until I see him in-hand at the LCS or something, but for $220 this thing is a joke. SSC seems to be following in the footsteps of their G.I. Joe line with a pretty good initial set of figures followed by increasingly expensive, yet increasingly crappy figures. Like their enthusiasm was used up by the initial few, then they realize they have more characters lined up that they grudgingly half-ass their way through.

I'll reserve judgment until I see him in-hand at the LCS or something, but for $220 this thing is a joke. SSC seems to be following in the footsteps of their G.I. Joe line with a pretty good initial set of figures followed by increasingly expensive, yet increasingly crappy figures. Like their enthusiasm was used up by the initial few, then they realize they have more characters lined up that they grudgingly half-ass their way through.

Not sure I agree with that regarding the GI Joe line. I can understand why some hated the interpretation, but I think it's fair to say that the quality of the figures improved along with the price. For example, comparing the Snake Eyes V.1 vs V.2, or Cobra Commander V.1 vs V.2, there is a definite improvement in bodies, costuming and paints.

But again, that was over the course of a few years. Going from Batman (an excellent figure), to a GL which comes with much less and costs more, in only a few months is just uncouth.

The more I look at this line, the more I think DCD did an awesome job!

:clap totally agree. My kids, wife, and I love the DC direct line. They look great together and gl and sinestro look amazing. 2nd DCD to came with 4 heads and superior costume IMO. I started chasing DCD line late last year and have almost all excluding ga gl, ga flash,1st gl, Jonah, and Sgt rock. Got great prices for them and they look great together. I averaged paying 55.00 a figure and zero regrets. I grew up with 70's Mego's and love the comic book look of DCD line.

I thought Supes was a stumble until I got him in hand. Great figure despite its shortcomings. Even better figure had he been a stand alone. All the other figures in this line have been great so far. DCD 13" figures were decent for what they were but still not a fantastic line for me.

Comparatively the SS line is better than the DCD 13" offerings to me. GL appears to be the stinker so far. That may change once I get him but I'll take the DCD suit design over this any day.

I agree... Up to a point!

I agree that, in hand, they are indeed awesome. I've modded my Supes so that now he looks the way I want. But that's the point! To make them perfect, they need to be modded. Now, I can understand that with $80 figs, like the DCD were, but for a HT price, I think we should expect HT quality, and clearly, we're far from getting that.
Granted, the DCD bodies were too big, but they had great proportion. When they were issued, particularly the first ones, Sideshow and HT still painted their heads the old way. DCD even included tiny zippers (hell, even Mattel did!). Here, you get a great fig, for sure, but I can't help feel like they're trying to cut costs everywhere while increasing their retailing price. No zippers, no light up features, scarce accessories... I don't know, but I don't feel the "high" in "high end" collectibles they're supposed to be.

Recently, I've been looking at my old Star Wars figs from Sideshow, and you know what's? Apart from a better paint job (which is even standard in bootleg figures) and a better body, I don't think the quality has improved. Curiously, the prices have. In fact, they have almost tripled!

:clap totally agree. My kids, wife, and I love the DC direct line. They look great together and gl and sinestro look amazing. 2nd DCD to came with 4 heads and superior costume IMO. I started chasing DCD line late last year and have almost all excluding ga gl, ga flash,1st gl, Jonah, and Sgt rock. Got great prices for them and they look great together. I averaged paying 55.00 a figure and zero regrets. I grew up with 70's Mego's and love the comic book look of DCD line.

I, too have most of them, my favorite being the two in one Supes. I think these figures, just because they are too tall, don't get the love they deserve. I have them on display together and they look great!

I agree... Up to a point!

I agree that, in hand, they are indeed awesome. I've modded my Supes so that now he looks the way I want. But that's the point! To make them perfect, they need to be modded. Now, I can understand that with $80 figs, like the DCD were, but for a HT price, I think we should expect HT quality, and clearly, we're far from getting that.
Granted, the DCD bodies were too big, but they had great proportion. When they were issued, particularly the first ones, Sideshow and HT still painted their heads the old way. DCD even included tiny zippers (hell, even Mattel did!). Here, you get a great fig, for sure, but I can't help feel like they're trying to cut costs everywhere while increasing their retailing price. No zippers, no light up features, scarce accessories... I don't know, but I don't feel the "high" in "high end" collectibles they're supposed to be.

Recently, I've been looking at my old Star Wars figs from Sideshow, and you know what's? Apart from a better paint job (which is even standard in bootleg figures) and a better body, I don't think the quality has improved. Curiously, the prices have. In fact, they have almost tripled!

Yeah, you're right there. I definitely don't think SS has increased quality to match increased prices as well as HT has. And there are aspects of the DCD line that tops the SS line, like the zippers. Overall I prefer the scale and poseability of the SS bodies being used. Customizing these has been a blast so far.

I personally feel Hal Jordan was poorly researched or they just couldn't construct the other constructs with clear dyed resin.

Everyone knows how I feel about costume, I don't care if it wasn't Ubber classic. But at least follow the rules of fashion. When you have a main logo no print/visual texture should be near it. The black looks just weird like a car tire. Reducing sculpts after having a history of them. Just shows your trying to give your customer less for more money.

Sideshow needs to realize they are not hot toys, they clearly ignore the quality control issues, the paint application needs to be higher quality, the likeness more exact.
Usually costume and accessories and extra heads is what put sideshow in it's own league. But lately not so much.

Maybe the cost of molds for these body molds was too much for sideshow so to recoup cost there trying to sneak this under are nose and see if we bite. But if we do it's a slippery slope and flash will run more and future 1/6 scale figures will just increase in price.

You can't compete with HT unless you have something to offer.

Maybe toy anxiety can get a discount from sideshow and break these down and sell them off thst way. It's the only way I see sideshow making money on this.

Back