Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an example in your spoiler of another stupid thing that the PT got wrong.. If Anakin built Threepio and R2, why did Vader refer to them as Droids in ANH. You’d think he would remember their names :lecture

He didn't build R2.. And he never saw the droids... He thought she hid the plans in the escape pod, it was the storm troopers that discovered it was droids.

How about the fact that Owen Lars lived at the Tatooine Homestead with C-3PO from birth to almost the age of 20 and then didn't immediately recognize him when he showed up at his house again with the exact same astromech companion that he left the homestead with in the first place, lol.

He didn't build R2.. And he never saw the droids... He thought she hid the plans in the escape pod, it was the storm troopers that discovered it was droids.

Vader would have seen 3PO on Chewie's back in the carbon freezing chamber. The only glimpse he ever got of R2 was when he blasted him with his TIE.

How about the fact that Owen Lars lived at the Tatooine Homestead with C-3PO from birth to almost the age of 20 and then didn't immediately recognize him when he showed up at his house again with the exact same astromech companion that he left the homestead with in the first place, lol.

Did they ever explain how the name Lars makes him Luke Skywalker’s uncle :dunno

Because the PT has almost as much garbage in it as the ST.

Both he and Obi-Wan suffered the "don't seem to remember ever owning a droid" disease that was endemic to Tatooine.

But they never explained why they let Luke continue to use his last name.

So he'd grow up with a sense of his history and legacy. And Obi-Wan knew Vader would never go near Tatooine willingly.

Because the PT has almost as much garbage in it as the ST.

Nah son. With all it?s bad dialogue, bad acting and cartoony affects the PT will never come close to being as bad the ST. The ST is just a corporate commercial with no vision or story.

Both he and Obi-Wan suffered the "don't seem to remember ever owning a droid" disease that was endemic to Tatooine.

So he'd grow up with a sense of his history and legacy. And Obi-Wan knew Vader would never go near Tatooine willingly.

He has been there tho..... in the comics. He went there to kill sand people for fun or something like that .

Hmmm...

As the ending of the ?Skywalker Saga? part of Star Wars, The Rise of Skywalker had a lot of lifting to do at the end. Sadly, for me, it didn?t quite get where I wanted it to go and I walked out of the movie feeling like JJ Abrams had just missed a dozen opportunities. The possibilities open to him were incredible, but he kept himself boxed in with a strange adherence to just a small part of George Lucas? vision.

There?s a lot of talk about how The Last Jedi subverts Star Wars, but I think that talk comes from folks who simply are not familiar with the Prequels. Half the Star Wars movies George Lucas made subverted Star Wars; the reality is that many of us simply didn?t understand it at the time. It wasn?t clear to us that Lucas knew what he was doing when he made the Jedi chumps, when he made the Jedi Council full of **** and when he revealed that the shortsighted pride of characters like Yoda was what led to the rise of the Empire.

This is important because I think many of the missed opportunities in Rise of Skywalker come from Abrams simply not vibing with the Prequels; for him Star Wars is the OT. His films are rehashes of/homages to those initial three films and they largely ignore business and themes from the Prequels. The idea that Star Wars is a story about family is sort of true ? that?s what the OT is ? but when we bring the PT into it we see that Star Wars is a story with family but that is actually about power and how that power is wielded and by whom. That?s the holistic theme of the six films.

The biggest missed opportunity is about Rey, but before I address that, I want to talk about a couple of other missed opportunities that could have improved TROS, or at least firmly established it as part of a nine film story.

First, let?s talk about C3P0. His story in this movie is absolutely pointless. Opening his head and getting the info from his secret memory banks goes nowhere, and erasing his memory has no impact. For a movie that is breathless and has no time to stop and even tell us how the Emperor is alive, this is a weird choice.

But let?s imagine that going into the forbidden memory banks ended up having the opposite effect on 3P0 ? what if it opened up his erased memory of the Prequels? After all, Threepio was built by Darth Vader. Kylo Ren is obsessed with Vader relics. But more than that, Threepio is the only surviving English speaking character who knew Darth Vader as a boy. I feel like his insight here at the end could have been meaningful. Anakin building Threepio was one of Lucas? worst decisions in the Prequels, but it could have been redeemed here ? have C3PO tell Kylo Ren that, just as he knew Ben Solo as a young boy he also knew Anakin Skywalker, and to give him first hand information about how what The Creator became was a betrayal of who he truly was. Kylo Ren?s switch to the Light Side is very quick, and the shoehorning of Han Solo?s ghost to do it isn?t great. Maybe a scene with C3PO ? finally raised above comic relief status ? would have been better. And it would have turned the human Anakin ? not just the melted Vader helmet ? into an actual presence in this film.

It?s also strange that Naboo doesn?t appear in this film. There?s a montage of planets at the end of the movie, but Naboo isn?t among them. And if you?re making a film centered around Palpatine and his legacy, doesn?t it make sense that some aspect of it would involve the planet from which he came, where he was a Senator and which catapulted him to becoming Emperor? The whole chain of events that led to Rise of Skywalker began on Naboo; in a series all about echoes and rhyming it seems weird that it doesn?t end there. Ending on Exegol, the Sith homeworld, seems ?cool,? (it?s not, Exegol sucks) but actually bringing everything full circle to Naboo in some way would have been ?Star Wars.?

On a purely personal note, I think it was a mistake to not have the voices of the dead Jedi accompanied by their figures. I?m a hardcore fan of this franchise ? I have a Jedi tattoo! ? and I couldn?t recognize some of the voices. I think it would have been incredibly exciting to see Mace Windu and Qui-Gon Jinn and, for the first time in live action, Kanan Jarrus and Ahsoka Tano. It would have really added something to that last sequence if all these figures stood behind Rey as she made her last stand against Palpatine. Visually it would have brought together 42 years of stories in a way that, I believe, would have been eternally iconic ? a Star Wars version of that Endgame battle.

But the biggest missed opportunity isn?t even so much missed as it is botched ? Rey?s heritage. In The Last Jedi we learned that Rey came from no one, that her family was nobodies. This angered some fans, but it actually made a lot of thematic sense in the scope of the larger Star Wars saga (ie, if you are including the themes of the Prequels when you?re finishing your Star Wars story). In many ways it?s a do-over of Anakin Skywalker?s heritage, a heritage that I think was kind of ruined in Revenge of the Sith when Palpatine insinuates that Darth Plagueis used the Force to create Anakin, who we know is the result of a virgin birth. That sucks for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that it makes Anakin feel fairly predestined to go bad ? he?s a literal creation of the Sith!

By having Rey be actually of nobody?s lineage we end up with a character who has what neither Anakin or Luke had ? a blank slate. In many ways Star Wars is about the question of nature versus nurture. Are you born bad or do you become bad? And if you become bad, can you choose to return to being good? It?s the fundamental question at the heart of it all, and Rey is ? at the end of The Last Jedi ? in the most intriguing position to explore it. After all, Kylo Ren is a Skywalker, so he?s got that nature stuff going on, being the fruit of Anakin Skywalker?s tree. But if Rey is nobody, she has no nature to drag her down.

This would make the events of The Rise of Skywalker all the more thematically intense. In the OT we saw Luke as he fought against his heritage. In the last two films we saw Ben Solo give in to it. Anakin was created to be a Sith. We have the nature part of it covered. A blank Rey allows for the other side to be examined, and we would have a character actively choosing for herself, free of any medieval concepts of bloodlines.

Abrams wouldn?t need to change anything. The Emperor?s plan doesn?t require Rey to be his genetic material ? all the past Sith are living in him (and yes, this is new mythology introduced in the last twenty minutes of a nine film series) and they?re not all his blood relatives. All of that stuff could have stayed in. But by taking away the (frankly dumb, and if you do the math on when her parents would have been born, kind of baffling) Palpatine heritage, you leave the fate of the galaxy not in the hands of someone tied in with all the preceding mishigoss, but rather someone outside of it.

But it?s the Skywalker Saga!, you cry. Sure, and it?s not the Palpatine Saga. Tying her to previous characters doesn?t really make it of a piece with what came before, it just serves as a reflexive reference. Also, I think having her be tied in to what came before actually ruins the ending of this movie. See, as it?s the Skywalker Saga, Kylo Ren is technically the central character. The real question throughout is what will become of him, and he carries with him the lineage that began the whole thing. And he knows this.

?You don?t have a place in this story,? Kylo Ren tells Rey. But in this movie she makes a place for herself, and she cements that at the end by taking the name Skywalker. She is claiming her place in the story! That choice is way more powerful if it?s being made by someone not tied into any previous piece of this story.

This allows Rey, blank slate, to redeem the name Skywalker completely. She claims it for good. Standing before the Emperor she could go either way, since she has no family history pulling her in one direction or the other. By not only choosing the Light but choosing to associate that decision with the Skywalker name, she cleanses it and continues the statement I think George Lucas was making with the Prequels ? the Force is for everybody, not just specific families or powerful people.

(By the way, Abrams touches on this in TROS by having Finn and Jannah be Force sensitive. I like where that is going, but like many of the plot points in the movie it ends up without any real meaning or weight.)

George Lucas fundamentally believed that the Jedi Order was not good. What his characters don?t understand ? but he does ? is that ?balance of the Force? does not mean wiping out all bad guys. That?s unbalanced. He has strong political beliefs that are on display in the Prequels, and he clearly bristles at calcified gatekeepers of both the Force and the Senate. It seems to me that he believes in almost radical democracy, that he sees the stratified nature of the Republic Senate and its bureaucracies that have nothing to do with the day-to-day lives of people (this is a big point in The Phantom Menace, when Padme bristles against the Senate deliberating about the Naboo invasion for days or weeks) as the problems that led to the Emperor, not just conditions exploited by him.

What he?s doing in the Prequels is showing the ways gatekeepers separate regular people from the exercise of power, and how that separation benefits those with the worst intentions. We live in that world, where the bad guys are winning not because the people of the nation are bad but because their votes are suppressed, or they?re gerrymandered into meaningless or because the machinery of the system drains them of any hope of making change. Power, Lucas believes, doesn?t belong in the Senate or in the Jedi Council. It belongs with the people.

Rey is the people.

I think that Rian Johnson had it right, and he was putting Rey on the path that would fulfill the thematics George Lucas has set out to explore. But by making her a Palpatine those thematics are short circuited, and we end up with one kind of royalty deciding to throw off her heritage in favor of being another kind of royalty. A Rey who was a nobody taking up the name Skywalker reclaims that name for the galaxy. A Rey who is a Palpatine taking up the name Skywalker is keeping it in the very aristocracy that led to decades upon decades of war, and is betraying the larger thematics at which Lucas was aiming.

Bummer, and a missed opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm...

That a movie series called Star Wars should lean so heavily on violence as a problem-solving tool shouldn?t, on the surface, be that surprising. But ever since George Lucas established the black and white morality of his galaxy far away, he?s been trying to subvert it. He didn?t always succeed (or when he succeeded the movies weren?t all that good), but right from the first sequel, using the quote above, Lucas was pushing against the martial universe he had created.

In context of the entire saga, Yoda?s quote is clearly hard-won wisdom; Lucas didn?t accidentally have the tiny green guy be the general in charge of the whole clone army in Attack of the Clones. He wanted to show us a righteous use of violence, controlled by a trusted character, and let us know that even this was wrong. That movie stinks, but the ending, with waves of clone troopers marching while a version of the Imperial March plays, really sums up what Lucas was trying to do with these Prequel films.

One of the reasons why the martial nature of Star Wars has triumphed for 40 years is because, as Truffaut said, there?s no such thing as an anti-war movie. War is too cinematic, and even the most painful and disturbing presentations of it on film are? kind of glorifying. I?ll never forget my first time seeing Saving Private Ryan at a mall movie theater in Poughkeepsie, New York. As my friends and I walked out into the parking lot we came to quick agreement: we needed to go play paintball, asap. And so we got into a car and drove to the paintball course and shot at each other for a few hours.

The problem too often, not just with Star Wars but with all movies trying to get across an anti-violence message, is that an effort is made to show how horrible war/violence is, but never is there an effort to show an alternative. Our movie heroes are reluctant to be violent, but once they get pulled into conflict they are excellent at it. Even if our heroes won?t kill the bad guy, the bad guy will almost always get himself into a position where he is killed anyway ? call it the Batman Begins rule, where Batman honors his vow to never kill by simply not saving Ra?s al Ghul. Or look at the end of Rise of Skywalker, where the Emperor kills himself by refusing to stop shooting his lightning, even as Rey deflects it. Too often the limited imagination of movies sees violence as the only solution to violence.

That this is where Rise of Skywalker goes is all the more disappointing because it has in itself the seeds for a truly radical reimagining of how these kinds of movies work. There?s another way Rise of Skywalker could have ended, and you wouldn?t need to change a frame of the film to get there. Everything is already in place.

In The Last Jedi Luke Skywalker scoffs at the idea that the Force is mostly used to lift stones? but that?s honestly what we usually see in these movies. The Force is usually a fairly blunt weapon in these films ? it?s used to throw things and people around. There are a few instances of the old Jedi Mind Trick, and we get lots of people talking about how they feel something in the Force, but those moments of feeling are usually just expositionary. There are small examples here and there ? The Clone Wars and Rogue One do interesting things with the Force/Force sensitivity ? but generally speaking the Force is a big old two-by-four Jedi use to smack people around.

It?s worth noting, by the way, that The Last Jedi has some of the most innovative uses of the Force up until its release. Luke?s big Force projection is one thing, but I have long been in love with the often-derided ?Mary Poppins? moment when Leia flies back to the ship. Leia gliding effortlessly towards a thing rather than strain to pull it towards her is, I think, an example of using the Force as something other than a blunt object.

Anyway, Rise of Skywalker brings in the idea of Force healing (technically The Mandalorian got there first, and Force healing existed in the now-deleted Expanded Universe Star Wars media, but just work with me here) ? using the Force to literally close wounds. Rey uses it once to heal a worm monster, which is a great scene because it allows our heroes to get out of a jam without resorting to violence. She uses it again after a moment of intense violence ? when she stabs Kylo Ren through the guts.

What?s really interesting about this use of Force healing, though, isn?t just that it fixes Kylo Ren?s body ? it seems to fix Ben Solo?s heart. As soon as he recovers, Kylo Ren has a quick chat with his dad?s ghost and immediately changes sides (and clothes). The movie doesn?t make this fully explicit, but it seems impossible to watch the scene and not come away with the belief that Rey?s touch healed more than physical wounds.

Let me get this critique out of the way: as depicted in Rise of Skywalker, Force healing is too powerful. It seems to cost Rey absolutely nothing, energy-wise, to lay hands on things or people and heal them. It may kill Kylo Ren at the end of the movie, but I?ll be honest and say I?m not entirely sure what?s going on in that scene. The ease with which Rey uses Force healing reminds me of the magic blood in Star Trek Into Darkness, another JJ Abrams movie. In that one Khan?s blood is somehow the cure for death, which really blows up the entire Star Trek universe ? everybody is immortal now!

But besides that the new power offers the opportunity for a new solution to conflict: healing. That?s the real answer to violent conflict, and I don?t think that?s a hippy dippy statement. We live in a world where the violently defeated Nazis and Southern Confederates are still having their causes championed. No amount of bombing or number of bullets was able to solve the underlying issues that led people to these ideologies and iconographies. And as much as the idea of punching Nazis has become current, all that punching will not actually solve the larger problem.

The problem has been delineated in Star Wars before. ?Fear leads to anger,? Yoda said. ?Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.? Deep beneath all of our conflicts is fear ? fear of not getting what we need, fear of losing what we have, fear of not being enough ? and to cope with that fear we engage in a lot of other terrible behaviors, including violence both physical and emotional.

When Rey healed Kylo Ren she healed the fear inside him that led him down the path to the Dark Side. She didn?t change him by beating him (although she did) or by thwarting his plans ? she changed him by healing him. The broken piece that made Ben Solo become Kylo Ren had been set right.

This is obviously a fantastical oversimplification of a real world problem ? we can?t just lay hands on our enemies and fix their hearts ? but this is a fantastical movie about space wizards. The metaphor tracks, and that?s what?s really important. Rey has learned a new way to deal with her enemies, a way that doesn?t require her to hit or slice or blast anyone. A way that finally fulfills Yoda?s admonishment that wars are not what make one great.

But what if Rise of Skywalker had taken this one step further? What if, rather than deflecting the Emperor?s Force lightning (which, frankly, isn?t even cinematically interesting) Rey had followed the rule of threes and healed? her grandfather? What if the big ending of the nine film Star Wars saga (I won?t call it the Skywalker Saga, since it all came down to two Palpatines fighting) was not killing the big bad guy but fixing him? After all, we know killing this dude may not have much of an effect ? but healing him, making him whole, that could actually end all the ******** that?s been plaguing the galaxy for seven decades. She could have destroyed Darth Sidious by bringing back Sheev Palpatine.

That, I think, would have been the kind of redemption that the Jedi needed.

While the main Star Wars saga is over, Star Wars will continue on. The introduction of Force healing in two concurrent properties feels? important, like Lucasfilm is really trying to do something with these stories. I truly think that the people behind Star Wars believe these stories matter, and they?re trying to tell stories that will express positive spiritual principles ? I know that George Lucas definitely was. So Force healing in both The Mandalorian and Rise of Skywalker probably isn?t some kind of a fluke. Maybe after 40 years of shooting, exploding and lightsaber dueling Star Wars is ready to start exploring what can truly defeat the Dark Side: healing.

Nah son. With all it?s bad dialogue, bad acting and cartoony affects the PT will never come close to being as bad the ST. The ST is just a corporate commercial with no vision or story.

The PT is a higher form of garbage.

The ST is the really stinky kind that even a self-respecting dianoga wouldn't touch. :Flush

Hmmm...

That a movie series called Star Wars should lean so heavily on violence as a problem-solving tool shouldn?t, on the surface, be that surprising. But ever since George Lucas established the black and white morality of his galaxy far away, he?s been trying to subvert it. He didn?t always succeed (or when he succeeded the movies weren?t all that good), but right from the first sequel, using the quote above, Lucas was pushing against the martial universe he had created.

Edited for space :)

WTF JYE DIDNT WRITE THIS???? I feel molested :lol

Anyways

Interesting that you post this was about to do something similar. Not so much about missed opportunities but about the ST as a whole. Might do that later.

But I couldn't agree more that the 3PO stuff was just such a waste of time.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

As the ending of the ?Skywalker Saga? part of Star Wars, The Rise of Skywalker had a lot of lifting to do at the end. Sadly, for me, it didn?t quite get where I wanted it to go and I walked out of the movie feeling like JJ Abrams had just missed a dozen opportunities. The possibilities open to him were incredible, but he kept himself boxed in with a strange adherence to just a small part of George Lucas? vision.

There?s a lot of talk about how The Last Jedi subverts Star Wars, but I think that talk comes from folks who simply are not familiar with the Prequels. Half the Star Wars movies George Lucas made subverted Star Wars; the reality is that many of us simply didn?t understand it at the time. It wasn?t clear to us that Lucas knew what he was doing when he made the Jedi chumps, when he made the Jedi Council full of **** and when he revealed that the shortsighted pride of characters like Yoda was what led to the rise of the Empire.

This is important because I think many of the missed opportunities in Rise of Skywalker come from Abrams simply not vibing with the Prequels; for him Star Wars is the OT. His films are rehashes of/homages to those initial three films and they largely ignore business and themes from the Prequels. The idea that Star Wars is a story about family is sort of true ? that?s what the OT is ? but when we bring the PT into it we see that Star Wars is a story with family but that is actually about power and how that power is wielded and by whom. That?s the holistic theme of the six films.

The biggest missed opportunity is about Rey, but before I address that, I want to talk about a couple of other missed opportunities that could have improved TROS, or at least firmly established it as part of a nine film story.

First, let?s talk about C3P0. His story in this movie is absolutely pointless. Opening his head and getting the info from his secret memory banks goes nowhere, and erasing his memory has no impact. For a movie that is breathless and has no time to stop and even tell us how the Emperor is alive, this is a weird choice.

But let?s imagine that going into the forbidden memory banks ended up having the opposite effect on 3P0 ? what if it opened up his erased memory of the Prequels? After all, Threepio was built by Darth Vader. Kylo Ren is obsessed with Vader relics. But more than that, Threepio is the only surviving English speaking character who knew Darth Vader as a boy. I feel like his insight here at the end could have been meaningful. Anakin building Threepio was one of Lucas? worst decisions in the Prequels, but it could have been redeemed here ? have C3PO tell Kylo Ren that, just as he knew Ben Solo as a young boy he also knew Anakin Skywalker, and to give him first hand information about how what The Creator became was a betrayal of who he truly was. Kylo Ren?s switch to the Light Side is very quick, and the shoehorning of Han Solo?s ghost to do it isn?t great. Maybe a scene with C3PO ? finally raised above comic relief status ? would have been better. And it would have turned the human Anakin ? not just the melted Vader helmet ? into an actual presence in this film.

It?s also strange that Naboo doesn?t appear in this film. There?s a montage of planets at the end of the movie, but Naboo isn?t among them. And if you?re making a film centered around Palpatine and his legacy, doesn?t it make sense that some aspect of it would involve the planet from which he came, where he was a Senator and which catapulted him to becoming Emperor? The whole chain of events that led to Rise of Skywalker began on Naboo; in a series all about echoes and rhyming it seems weird that it doesn?t end there. Ending on Exegol, the Sith homeworld, seems ?cool,? (it?s not, Exegol sucks) but actually bringing everything full circle to Naboo in some way would have been ?Star Wars.?

On a purely personal note, I think it was a mistake to not have the voices of the dead Jedi accompanied by their figures. I?m a hardcore fan of this franchise ? I have a Jedi tattoo! ? and I couldn?t recognize some of the voices. I think it would have been incredibly exciting to see Mace Windu and Qui-Gon Jinn and, for the first time in live action, Kanan Jarrus and Ahsoka Tano. It would have really added something to that last sequence if all these figures stood behind Rey as she made her last stand against Palpatine. Visually it would have brought together 42 years of stories in a way that, I believe, would have been eternally iconic ? a Star Wars version of that Endgame battle.

But the biggest missed opportunity isn?t even so much missed as it is botched ? Rey?s heritage. In The Last Jedi we learned that Rey came from no one, that her family was nobodies. This angered some fans, but it actually made a lot of thematic sense in the scope of the larger Star Wars saga (ie, if you are including the themes of the Prequels when you?re finishing your Star Wars story). In many ways it?s a do-over of Anakin Skywalker?s heritage, a heritage that I think was kind of ruined in Revenge of the Sith when Palpatine insinuates that Darth Plagueis used the Force to create Anakin, who we know is the result of a virgin birth. That sucks for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that it makes Anakin feel fairly predestined to go bad ? he?s a literal creation of the Sith!

By having Rey be actually of nobody?s lineage we end up with a character who has what neither Anakin or Luke had ? a blank slate. In many ways Star Wars is about the question of nature versus nurture. Are you born bad or do you become bad? And if you become bad, can you choose to return to being good? It?s the fundamental question at the heart of it all, and Rey is ? at the end of The Last Jedi ? in the most intriguing position to explore it. After all, Kylo Ren is a Skywalker, so he?s got that nature stuff going on, being the fruit of Anakin Skywalker?s tree. But if Rey is nobody, she has no nature to drag her down.

This would make the events of The Rise of Skywalker all the more thematically intense. In the OT we saw Luke as he fought against his heritage. In the last two films we saw Ben Solo give in to it. Anakin was created to be a Sith. We have the nature part of it covered. A blank Rey allows for the other side to be examined, and we would have a character actively choosing for herself, free of any medieval concepts of bloodlines.

Abrams wouldn?t need to change anything. The Emperor?s plan doesn?t require Rey to be his genetic material ? all the past Sith are living in him (and yes, this is new mythology introduced in the last twenty minutes of a nine film series) and they?re not all his blood relatives. All of that stuff could have stayed in. But by taking away the (frankly dumb, and if you do the math on when her parents would have been born, kind of baffling) Palpatine heritage, you leave the fate of the galaxy not in the hands of someone tied in with all the preceding mishigoss, but rather someone outside of it.

But it?s the Skywalker Saga!, you cry. Sure, and it?s not the Palpatine Saga. Tying her to previous characters doesn?t really make it of a piece with what came before, it just serves as a reflexive reference. Also, I think having her be tied in to what came before actually ruins the ending of this movie. See, as it?s the Skywalker Saga, Kylo Ren is technically the central character. The real question throughout is what will become of him, and he carries with him the lineage that began the whole thing. And he knows this.

?You don?t have a place in this story,? Kylo Ren tells Rey. But in this movie she makes a place for herself, and she cements that at the end by taking the name Skywalker. She is claiming her place in the story! That choice is way more powerful if it?s being made by someone not tied into any previous piece of this story.

This allows Rey, blank slate, to redeem the name Skywalker completely. She claims it for good. Standing before the Emperor she could go either way, since she has no family history pulling her in one direction or the other. By not only choosing the Light but choosing to associate that decision with the Skywalker name, she cleanses it and continues the statement I think George Lucas was making with the Prequels ? the Force is for everybody, not just specific families or powerful people.

(By the way, Abrams touches on this in TROS by having Finn and Jannah be Force sensitive. I like where that is going, but like many of the plot points in the movie it ends up without any real meaning or weight.)

George Lucas fundamentally believed that the Jedi Order was not good. What his characters don?t understand ? but he does ? is that ?balance of the Force? does not mean wiping out all bad guys. That?s unbalanced. He has strong political beliefs that are on display in the Prequels, and he clearly bristles at calcified gatekeepers of both the Force and the Senate. It seems to me that he believes in almost radical democracy, that he sees the stratified nature of the Republic Senate and its bureaucracies that have nothing to do with the day-to-day lives of people (this is a big point in The Phantom Menace, when Padme bristles against the Senate deliberating about the Naboo invasion for days or weeks) as the problems that led to the Emperor, not just conditions exploited by him.

What he?s doing in the Prequels is showing the ways gatekeepers separate regular people from the exercise of power, and how that separation benefits those with the worst intentions. We live in that world, where the bad guys are winning not because the people of the nation are bad but because their votes are suppressed, or they?re gerrymandered into meaningless or because the machinery of the system drains them of any hope of making change. Power, Lucas believes, doesn?t belong in the Senate or in the Jedi Council. It belongs with the people.

Rey is the people.

I think that Rian Johnson had it right, and he was putting Rey on the path that would fulfill the thematics George Lucas has set out to explore. But by making her a Palpatine those thematics are short circuited, and we end up with one kind of royalty deciding to throw off her heritage in favor of being another kind of royalty. A Rey who was a nobody taking up the name Skywalker reclaims that name for the galaxy. A Rey who is a Palpatine taking up the name Skywalker is keeping it in the very aristocracy that led to decades upon decades of war, and is betraying the larger thematics at which Lucas was aiming.

Bummer, and a missed opportunity.

My lord. This man is now writing bible verses on this film. Someone check and see if he?s ok

The PT is a higher form of garbage.

The ST is the really stinky kind that even a self-respecting dianoga wouldn't touch. :Flush

Yes true lol. The PT is fast food. Not good for you but fun to eat every now and then.

The st is burnt molded cheeses that?s been left out in the sun to long . You can eat it if you want but only few or maybe three will like the taste lmao

Yes because the greatest defense against Vader is "SAND" mzq6m.jpg

Jye did you actually write those two super massive posts .... because the 'Jye' who wrote them likes force healing more than the wars in Star Wars and he also wanted more prequel trilogy in his sequel trilogy and if that is you then that is a Last Jedi level subversion of my expectations haha.

Interesting posts so thank you for posting (there is a lot in there I like but not much I agree with). I will try and post a more thought out response later but hey anything that get's me to re-evaluate my Star Wars is a win win for me. :lsvader

My lord. This man is now writing bible verses on this film. Someone check and see if he?s ok

Was that really Jye? I don't recall his ever being quite so....verbose. Surely either ajp4mpgs or TheDucky has hijacked his user ID. Either that or he feels compelled to keep up with the Joneses (i.e., Khev and Jaws). :lol

Bring back lovable, irreverent & succinct Jye!

Back