Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But nope he just bailed (no pun intended, lol.)

:lol Intentional or not, I dig it!

I literally had to reread that twice thinking you'd typed "Rey" by mistake but nope, you just praised something about TROS! :thud:

;)

Hey! I had already said that the Han scene was outstanding. What more do you want? ;)

I will also add that TROS had what I consider perhaps the funniest visual in any SW movie: Poe "igniting" his flashlight, facing it upward for no reason other than playfully competing with Rey after she ignites her saber. That got me laughing all three times so far. I don't even know why I find it as funny as I do, but this still counts as saying another positive thing about TROS. :yess: They're piling up. :lol

Hey! I had already said that the Han scene was outstanding. What more do you want? ;)

Oh you're right I remember that now. :duff

I will also add that TROS had what I consider perhaps the funniest visual in any SW movie: Poe "igniting" his flashlight, facing it upward for no reason other than playfully competing with Rey after she ignites her saber. That got me laughing all three times so far. I don't even know why I find it as funny as I do, but this still counts as saying another positive thing about TROS. :yess: They're piling up. :lol

Yes it's definitely one of those scenes that is so silly that it *shouldn't* be funny yet somehow still is, lol.

Reading some of the post above it made me think of some of the points this guy made. I find this him to pretty entertaining.
He is younger and grew up originally loving the PT.
He reviewed all the SW films and while I don't agree with him on everything (he is not a big fan of RO and really hates TPM) I think he makes good points about all the films positives and negatives.

Man, watching TCW finale and then going back to the original 2008 TCW film I am blown away by how much more it makes me realize what an utter FAILURE the PT was in establishing arguably the single most important relationship of the trilogy and that is the one between Obi-Wan and Anakin. I realized this when watching this scene because it was *such* a beautiful little moment:

hqdefault.jpg

It's after their first battle together and at first Anakin kind of lays into Ahsoka about her shortcomings which really brings her down. Then they sit quietly and he says "you would have never made it as Obi-Wan's apprentice." (which hits her even harder) "But...you may just make it as mine." And then when he smiles and her sadness turns to elation, I'm not kidding it was a real gut punch knowing that such raw tenderness between them (two CARTOON characters no less!) wouldn't last and that things would end so horribly.

I *never* feel that when Qui Gon introduces Obi-Wan to Jake Lloyd in TPM or any point during AOTC or ROTS when Obi-Wan and Anakin are supposedly these amazing friends/partners/brothers. It's just always two individuals who are largely going through the motions of dialogue just so they can get to the next CG action scene. What a travesty.

This kid's show with low paid television actors and animators accomplished what one of the biggest trilogies in the world could not.

You..... you just can?t help but throw shade at rots huh? And the PT and yes that kids show alone ****s on the ST and has much better fights and chemistry.

Speaking of ROTS, I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but I just haven't come across it. Is there a good explanation for the logic behind Obi-Wan and Yoda splitting up to take on Anakin and Palpatine? Both Jedi were right there on Coruscant already, so why not team up to improve the odds against Palpatine first?

Anakin's whereabouts were unknown, right? So it would take hours (if not days) to get to him even if they found out where he was. And he wasn't going to be able to do much more damage to the Jedi since they were pretty much wiped out already.

Palpatine was clearly the more urgent threat, not just the tougher opponent. The Sith mastermind pulling all the strings, the only one with governmental power, and the one in control of the clones. Kill him first, and then go hunt for Anakin (also together, thus improving the odds against him as well). Why wouldn't that make more sense?

There are multiple reasons for why they didn't take Palpatine or Vader together.

First, it was Yoda's decision because in the film he says there is no time to question it.

Now, the logic of that decision...

The Jedi Order and Republic were collapsing at that very moment. It was a time sensitive issue. Both were huge threats. They kill Palpatine, Vader takes over. They kill Vader, Palpatine senses it in the force and knows he has Yoda and Kenobi gunning for him, same goes for Vader, he would sense his masters death and know they are coming for him. Best way to avoid this is to split up and hope both get the job done before they become damn near untouchable.

Second, Yoda may view Obi-Wan as a liability in the fight. I don't believe Obi-Wan would have been a liability. He can deflect force lightning. He held his own against Count Dooku. He beat Maul and Grievous (and eventually Anakin). But, Palpatine sliced through 3 Jedi and toyed with Windu, using Kenobi against Yoda could have led to the defeat of both. No Kenobi, means Yoda is free to go all out.

Third, Yoda was overconfident and arrogant. He thought he could have defeated Palpatine. I believe that is why he went into exile, because ultimately he was a monstrous failure whose orders shortcomings led to their downfall. Plus, whether he knew it or not, that decision to stay and live to train any future Jedi (aka Luke) proved worthwhile.

Fourth, Yoda may have believed that Anakin could still be saved with just Kenobi showing up. Kenobi was reluctant the whole time up until the "I will do what I must."

Fifth, you can't put all your eggs in one basket. If they both show up and die, it's over. As odd as it sounds, I feel like splitting up was mitigating that risk.

If I were to come up with an "in universe" reason (since we all know the real reason is just that George wanted two lightsaber duels occurring simultaneously) I'd say that Yoda believed that Palpatine's power was so far above Obi-Wan's that Kenobi would simply get in the way (as he did when Anakin faced Dooku.) I think Yoda wanted to have the freedom to go all out against Palpatine without having to simultaneously defend his weaker ally.

Yup, that is one good reason.

Man, watching TCW finale and then going back to the original 2008 TCW film I am blown away by how much more it makes me realize what an utter FAILURE the PT was in establishing arguably the single most important relationship of the trilogy and that is the one between Obi-Wan and Anakin. I realized this when watching this scene because it was *such* a beautiful little moment:

hqdefault.jpg

It's after their first battle together and at first Anakin kind of lays into Ahsoka about her shortcomings which really brings her down. Then they sit quietly and he says "you would have never made it as Obi-Wan's apprentice." (which hits her even harder) "But...you may just make it as mine." And then when he smiles and her sadness turns to elation, I'm not kidding it was a real gut punch knowing that such raw tenderness between them (two CARTOON characters no less!) wouldn't last and that things would end so horribly.

I *never* feel that when Qui Gon introduces Obi-Wan to Jake Lloyd in TPM or any point during AOTC or ROTS when Obi-Wan and Anakin are supposedly these amazing friends/partners/brothers. It's just always two individuals who are largely going through the motions of dialogue just so they can get to the next CG action scene. What a travesty.

This kid's show with low paid television actors and animators accomplished what one of the biggest trilogies in the world could not.

That relationship is still better than the utter FAILURE the ST was in establishing any relationships whatsoever. Rey/Kylo? Garbage. Rey/Luke? Two days of garbage. Rey/Leia? Doesn't make any sense. Rey/Chewbacca? Chewbacca was her slave. Rey/any female character whatsoever. lol, nope. Rey/Han? Probably the best one, but ultimately she doesn't give a **** about Han.

At least you have Anakin saying that Kenobi feels like a father/brother, you see the emotion in their relationships far more than anything in the ST.

The problem that creates now is that Anakin seemed like he cared more for Ashoka than Padme or so it seems that way to me lol

Look I?m not about to start buying into this conflicted Darth Vader crap because RO/ANH/ESB Vader was ruthless and was never in the slightest ever thinking of good times with Ashoka.

If anything thinking of Padme would just make him more ruthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see that as true. Ahsoka leaves the order, he does nothing. Padme might die based on a dream, he goes ape **** and destroys the galaxy and Jedi.

Vader to me was always conflicted. He channeled that into rage at times. Just because he is ruthless doesn't mean he isn't conflcited.

Yeah, unfortunately I think Yoda and Obi-Wan being clueless is the answer that actually holds up best. :lol But I guess I could go with your theory about both parents on the same plane. It would also tie in to the arrogance you're referencing about Yoda. After all, he'd be assuming that both "parents" weren't going to die in individual duels against crazy-powerful opponents.

The idea of Yoda being arrogant bugs me, but that's based on getting to know him in ESB. Maybe he was an arrogant little sucker most of his life, and then being humbled by the events of the PT is what made him more of the wiser version in the OT.

Hopefully you don't still see them as clueless. Yoda had a plan and Kenobi was just lost and reluctant. Heartbroken himself and realizing his failures to Anakin and Qui-Gon. I mean, Yoda at least had the same feelings as Kenobi, multipled by a thousand.

Another fair explanation. Still makes me wonder why Yoda would bother sending Obi-Wan alone to battle the virgin-birth "Chosen One" if he felt Obi-Wan would be so outmatched by Palps to the point of being a liability. I can't see why there was such urgency in getting to Anakin right away, so I don't know why Yoda wouldn't want to be there helping Kenobi. I guess we'd need to believe that Yoda didn't think Anakin was all that.

Thanks for the answers, fellas. Either of your explanations is better than just having to concede that Yoda was an idiot.

This whole thing came to mind when watching TROS on D+. When Rey stalls to get Ben in the throne room, it makes total sense that you'd want to outnumber the big bad in order to improve your odds. Not the logic used in ROTS.

Well, in TROS there was only one villain. So there was no need to split it up when it was just one. And the urgency to get to Vader was so he doesn't simply take over.

Agreed. Why would Vader be conflicted after Padme died, and before knowing that his son survived? Vader was only conflicted in the OT after confronting his son face to face. He seemed to be fully embracing the dark side in ANH and ESB. Didn't seem to show any hint of being conflicted.

You guys are forgetting that the PT was made 15-20 years after the OT. It's kind of odd to criticize one or the other because they don't make line by line references. Vader was conflicted in ESB. Otherwise he would have just killed Luke right then and there. Toyed with him the whole time. Could have slaughtered his friends and blown up C-3PO too :lol

Yeah pretty much, lol.

I mean think about it. How much better the PT could have been if Lucas just had Luke and Leia's real mom be a younger Jedi that Anakin had fallen in love with. It's so much more fun watching Ahsoka dual wield lightsabers alongside Anakin and Obi-Wan than watching Padme try to keep up by riding that ridiculous hairless donkey thing in the Geonosis arena, lol.

They could have probably even kept the Clone Wars largely the same but just having Ahsoka (as Anakin's hidden wife) be newly pregnant at the very end while she's standing there in her cloak having missed the opportunity to tell Anakin that she was expecting. Then she goes off and marries Bail Organa and ROTJ Leia's memory of her real mother could have remained intact. Yeah they'd have to change Ahsoka to a human being but otherwise they could have still had all the same themes of forbidden love, scandal, and all that but with a female protagonist much more capable of hanging with the guy heroes similar to how Leia was in the OT.

Then let Ahsoka's end being left ambiguous with her either never appearing in Rebels or anything else or maybe have her "death" turn out to be fake or something (maybe say she separated herself from Leia to protect her once she realized who Darth Vader was) so as not to conflict with Leia's memory if they really wanted to bring her back. Then the spirits of both grandparents could have encouraged Rey along with both twins, everything. That would have been so cool.

Oh well, "woulda shoulda coulda" as always.

So, you want Anakin to be a pedo and crush for his underage padawan. Then have that padawan marry some older man. And, since she is still alive, I doubt she would split up her kids. There would be no point if she was still keeping one, still huge risks as Vader would never stop to find her.

I don't mind that whole falling in love with another Jedi thing ultimately, but I think there are some holes.

You..... you just can?t help but throw shade at rots huh? And the PT and yes that kids show alone ****s on the ST and has much better fights and chemistry.

Calm down as bad as ROTS is I still probably like it more than you do, lol. I own the entire PT in 4K but not Joker, lol.

That relationship is still better than the utter FAILURE the ST was in establishing any relationships whatsoever. Rey/Kylo? Garbage. Rey/Luke? Two days of garbage. Rey/Leia? Doesn't make any sense. Rey/Chewbacca? Chewbacca was her slave. Rey/any female character whatsoever. lol, nope. Rey/Han? Probably the best one, but ultimately she doesn't give a **** about Han.

At least you have Anakin saying that Kenobi feels like a father/brother, you see the emotion in their relationships far more than anything in the ST.

That's your uncle's ST Derangement talking.

So, you want Anakin to be a pedo and crush for his underage padawan. Then have that padawan marry some older man. And, since she is still alive, I doubt she would split up her kids. There would be no point if she was still keeping one, still huge risks as Vader would never stop to find her.

Why would she have to remain underage you sicko. I agree that Anakin shouldn't be a pedo (since only Padme is allowed to be one, lol.)

Calm down as bad as ROTS is I still probably like it more than you do, lol. I own the entire PT in 4K but not Joker, lol.

Why would she have to remain underage you sicko. I agree that Anakin shouldn't be a pedo (since only Padme is allowed to be one, lol.)

:lol

You said Ahsoka :lol She is like 12 at the start of TCW.

The Jedi thing could have been cool though. More I think about it, it is a good idea. I think the girl Jedi would have to die though because of the Jedi's failure of some sort. Would lead to Anakin's turn against the Jedi as a lot more believable for everyone I think.

:lol

You said Ahsoka :lol She is like 12 at the start of TCW.

14 according to Ashley Eckstein. Some TCW fan you are. :pfft:

The Jedi thing could have been cool though. More I think about it, it is a good idea. I think the girl Jedi would have to die though because of the Jedi's failure of some sort. Would lead to Anakin's turn against the Jedi as a lot more believable for everyone I think.

Yeah that'd make sense. Like she's pinned down and the Jedi determine that she can't be saved so they order her to be abandoned (due to not having attachments that would get in the way of missions) and Anakin goes ballistic as a result.

There are multiple reasons for why they didn't take Palpatine or Vader together.

First, it was Yoda's decision because in the film he says there is no time to question it.

Now, the logic of that decision...

The Jedi Order and Republic were collapsing at that very moment. It was a time sensitive issue. Both were huge threats. They kill Palpatine, Vader takes over. They kill Vader, Palpatine senses it in the force and knows he has Yoda and Kenobi gunning for him, same goes for Vader, he would sense his masters death and know they are coming for him. Best way to avoid this is to split up and hope both get the job done before they become damn near untouchable.

I'm not sure what you mean by "they kill Palpatine, Vader takes over." Takes over what? Anakin/Vader wouldn't inherit Palpatine's position of authority. The governing authority of the galaxy at the end of ROTS wasn't an empire yet, so there's no such thing as inheriting Palpatine's power. If they kill Palpatine, a new leader would be chosen by the galactic senate. And it wouldn't be Anakin.

Anakin/Vader had no authority. He was an enforcer of Palpatine's will. He was a hunter/slayer of Jedi. And in that respect, he (and the clones via Order 66) had already done almost a full job. Even the clone army wouldn't have been told to answer to Anakin in the event of Palpatine's death; Anakin had only recently been turned. They'd likely answer to a new chancellor.

Second, Yoda may view Obi-Wan as a liability in the fight. I don't believe Obi-Wan would have been a liability. He can deflect force lightning. He held his own against Count Dooku. He beat Maul and Grievous (and eventually Anakin). But, Palpatine sliced through 3 Jedi and toyed with Windu, using Kenobi against Yoda could have led to the defeat of both. No Kenobi, means Yoda is free to go all out.

Yeah, like I responded to Khev when he made this point, this is fair enough. I still think it would be peculiar for Yoda not to want to be there to take on Anakin as well. To me, the padawan/master dynamic would make Jedi team-ups more of a natural way to take advantage of outnumbering the opponent. But to your point, the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon team-up against Maul didn't work; and the Anakin/Kenobi team-ups weren't exactly flawless. So again, fair enough.

Third, Yoda was overconfident and arrogant. He thought he could have defeated Palpatine. I believe that is why he went into exile, because ultimately he was a monstrous failure whose orders shortcomings led to their downfall. Plus, whether he knew it or not, that decision to stay and live to train any future Jedi (aka Luke) proved worthwhile.

This is what I have the most problem with. An arrogant Yoda just doesn't jibe well with a well-respected Jedi master who had trained Jedi for 800 years. He was always preaching about not underestimating the dark side. If he arrogantly believed he could single-handedly defeat Palpatine, then his teachings were hollow and superficial. I don't like that characterization of Yoda.

Fourth, Yoda may have believed that Anakin could still be saved with just Kenobi showing up. Kenobi was reluctant the whole time up until the "I will do what I must."

I can buy this one. It would essentially be the same approach that Yoda arguably took with Luke in the OT.

Fifth, you can't put all your eggs in one basket. If they both show up and die, it's over. As odd as it sounds, I feel like splitting up was mitigating that risk.

Yeah, like what jye said about both parents on the same plane. Also fair enough. I don't think any of these are great explanations for the splitting up logic, but they're good enough since the alternative would be having to accept that Yoda was a tactical moron.

You guys are forgetting that the PT was made 15-20 years after the OT. It's kind of odd to criticize one or the other because they don't make line by line references. Vader was conflicted in ESB. Otherwise he would have just killed Luke right then and there. Toyed with him the whole time. Could have slaughtered his friends and blown up C-3PO too :lol

In my view, Vader was conflicted only after he began facing off with his son. Remember, he first decided to use Bespin's freezing chamber in order to pack Luke nice and tidy for the Emperor. To let his son be turned to the dark side! Vader's inner conflict didn't start until Luke put up a fight and showed his spirit/resolve. The same spirit Anakin would've once had.

Why would he be conflicted before that? The whole reason he became a Sith was to learn how to save his family. Between the end of ROTS and the beginning of ESB, Vader remained a Sith despite knowing Padme had died (and assuming his offspring died with her). In those years, he would've been more like a soulless drone with nothing left to draw him back to the light. He was essentially a willing instrument of evil.

He was choking people out for even small failures, or for very mild expressions of insolence. He tortured Han Solo just to watch him suffer; didn't even ask any questions. He was evil because he had embraced the dark side fully enough for Palps to not suspect a conflicted soul for all those years. There was nothing to draw Vader back to the light until Luke. Anakin's hope had been extinguished before that, IMO.

Yeah I don't see PT Yoda as overconfident and arrogant. I always got the impression that Lucas went out of his way to show that Yoda hadn't succumbed to the failings of the other Jedi (certainly not to the degree of the others anyway.) He told Obi-Wan at the end of TPM that he alone disagreed with him training Anakin but that he'd gotten outvoted by the Council. Then it was Yoda again who always seemed to be the one to step back and be the word of caution to everyone else whether it be with regard to the start of the Clone War ("victory you say, no not victory"), the "dangerous path" of unseating the Chancellor, and so on.

Though he was kind of a **** to Anakin when he said, "I agree, a master should be sent to fight Grievous, which would mean literally anyone in this room except young Skywalker," lol.

Yeah I don't see PT Yoda as overconfident and arrogant. I always got the impression that Lucas went out of his way to show that Yoda hadn't succumbed to the failings of the other Jedi (certainly not to the degree of the others anyway.) He told Obi-Wan at the end of TPM that he alone disagreed with him training Anakin but that he'd gotten outvoted by the Council. Then it was Yoda again who always seemed to be the one to step back and be the word of caution to everyone else whether it be with regard to the start of the Clone War ("victory you say, no not victory"), the "dangerous path" of unseating the Chancellor, and so on.

Yes indeed; very well put. I think the value/role Yoda has in the saga is of being exemplary of most virtues we'd associate with "ideal" Jedi. And arrogance doesn't fit with my perception of his characterization. That doesn't correlate with sage wisdom and being a tutor/mentor to several *generations* of Jedi.

But that's the bind certain elements of the PT put me in: either Yoda was more arrogant than I think is consistent, or he was sporadically dumb when it came to some really important decisions and tactics.

Yeah I don't see PT Yoda as overconfident and arrogant. I always got the impression that Lucas went out of his way to show that Yoda hadn't succumbed to the failings of the other Jedi (certainly not to the degree of the others anyway.) He told Obi-Wan at the end of TPM that he alone disagreed with him training Anakin but that he'd gotten outvoted by the Council. Then it was Yoda who always seemed to be the one to step back and be the word of caution to everyone else whether it be with regard to the start of the Clone War, the "dangerous path" of unseating the Chancellor, and so on.

Maybe not Yoda specifically but his right hand man Mace was just look at his famous line of I DON?T SO.

You don?t think so.....really now, are you certain.

Arm cut off, flung out a window, all Jedis murdered. fall of the republic.

I don?t think so my ass.

Right hand man to the council literally got his right arm cut off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gotta disagree with you here Monkey. Just because Anakin says that Kenobi feel like a Father/brother to him does not mean that it is ever shown in the films. A little bit in the first 30 or so min in ROTS but in all honesty its too little to late.

Hell we get nothing out of their relationship in TPM and in AOTC Obi wan is just constantly putting down Anakin in the limited time they share the screen together.

Very frustrating.

I would say yes... The Kylo / Rey relationship is far more interesting.. Minus the kiss at the end :lol Granted it was a very different one. But if you hate the films like you do then yeah.. None of the relationships are going to do anything for you.

I really wish that final duel felt like two great friends going fighting each other.. Not just two guys we are told are close.

Last edited:
Yes indeed; very well put. I think the value/role Yoda has in the saga is of being exemplary of most virtues we'd associate with "ideal" Jedi. And arrogance doesn't fit with my perception of his characterization. That doesn't correlate with sage wisdom and being a tutor/mentor to several *generations* of Jedi.

But that's the bind certain elements of the PT put me in: either Yoda was more arrogant than I think is consistent, or he was sporadically dumb when it came to some really important decisions and tactics.

If you want to handwave away some of his poor choices I think the fact that the Dark Side was clouding their vision might be the best bet.

I really wish that final duel felt like two great friends going fighting each other.. Not just two guys we are told are close.

Oh I know. Cap and Tony brawling at the end of CW did a much better job of that.

John Woo's "Bullet in the Head" (1990) has probably the best and most gut wrenching example of two lifelong friends fighting to the death, especially with the way he took scenes of them laughing together from earlier in the film and intercut them seamlessly into the final duel to heighten the juxtaposition to maximum effect. It was brutal to watch.

In my view, Vader was conflicted only after he began facing off with his son. Remember, he first decided to use Bespin's freezing chamber in order to pack Luke nice and tidy for the Emperor. To let his son be turned to the dark side! Vader's inner conflict didn't start until Luke put up a fight and showed his spirit/resolve. The same spirit Anakin would've once had.

Why would he be conflicted before that? The whole reason he became a Sith was to learn how to save his family. Between the end of ROTS and the beginning of ESB, Vader remained a Sith despite knowing Padme had died (and assuming his offspring died with her). In those years, he would've been more like a soulless drone with nothing left to draw him back to the light. He was essentially a willing instrument of evil.

He was choking people out for even small failures, or for very mild expressions of insolence. He tortured Han Solo just to watch him suffer; didn't even ask any questions. He was evil because he had embraced the dark side fully enough for Palps to not suspect a conflicted soul for all those years. There was nothing to draw Vader back to the light until Luke. Anakin's hope had been extinguished before that, IMO.

Since there was no PT when these films were made you have to take the OT as its own thing. In the context of the OT being the only films in the series.. I would say that Vader started to feel a bit of conflict after Luke blew up the Death Star. Vader didn't give a crap about Luke until then. I always assumed he knew Luke was out there somewhere but Obi Wan had him hidden. But once he knew about him he saw a way to take over the Galaxy from the Emperor. He is looking for Luke in the beginning and behind the Emperor's back. He then talks the Emperor into not killing Luke.

One could say that he just wanted Luke to help him kill the Emperor... But I think it was more then that. Freezing him was because the Emperor now knew that the Son of Skywalker was out there. So he had to come up with a plan that would keep the emperor in the Dark.

If this was just some kid that was strong in the force i don't think Vader would have any issues killing him... Because its his son.. He saw a better life.. As screwed up as that better life might seen you normal people.

Last edited:

Agreed. I'd add that Luke's decision to fall to his death rather than take Vader's offer was another clincher. ''He will join us or die, master'' - I don't think Vader actually expected Luke to choose the latter. It impressed him and even moved him - leading him to become the more thoughtful, 'pussified' version of himself in ROTJ that some people criticize but I find entirely plausible. Heck, after his encounter with Luke, he'd already stopped killing his own officers by the end of ESB even though Piett had failed him just the same as Ozzel and Needa earlier in the film.

Since there was no PT when these films were made you have to take the OT as its own thing. In the context of the OT being the only films in the series.. I would say that Vader started to feel a bit of conflict after Luke blew up the Death Star. Vader didn't give a crap about Luke until then. I always assumed he knew Luke was out there somewhere but Obi Wan had him hidden. But once he knew about him he saw a way to take over the Galaxy from the Emperor. He is looking for Luke in the beginning and behind the Emperor's back. He then talks the Emperor into not killing Luke.

One could say that he just wanted Luke to help him kill the Emperor... But I think it was more then that. Freezing him was because the Emperor now knew that the Son of Skywalker was out there. So he had to come up with a plan that would keep the emperor in the Dark.

If this was just some kid that was strong in the force i don't think Vader would have any issues killing him... Because its his son.. He saw a better life.. As screwed up as that better life might seen you normal people.

Even looking at the OT before the special editions, and before the PT, Vader always seemed to me being only interested in using Luke for dark/evil purposes. At best, he wanted Luke to join him in order to make a power grab by overthrowing the Emperor.

When Vader raised the possibility with the Emperor of turning his son to the dark side, I think we have a clear indication that he wasn't just trying to save his son from being killed. And why? Because Vader telling Luke, "don't make me destroy you" meant that while he didn't want to kill Luke, he *would* if need be. Even at that late point in ESB, Vader was willing to do whatever it took to keep Luke from becoming a Jedi. I don't see how that shows conflict between light and dark. It's more like conflict between dark and darker. :lol

I think the conflicted Vader started as the Bespin duel progressed, but probably only really took true hold when he called out to Luke with the Force. That was after presumably having had a chance to search his feelings alone on his star destroyer. And connecting via the Force meant allowing a bond to form that could probably be more profound of a connection than just interacting with someone in the same space person to person. Even before that became evident in the ST, I think it's fair to assume the Force bridged Luke and Vader in a more profound way than would've happened otherwise.

Agreed. I'd add that Luke's decision to fall to his death rather than take Vader's offer was another clincher. ''He will join us or die, master'' - I don't think Vader actually expected Luke to choose the latter. It impressed him and even moved him - leading him to become the more thoughtful, 'pussified' version of himself in ROTJ that some people criticize but I find entirely plausible. Heck, after his encounter with Luke, he'd already stopped killing his own officers by the end of ESB even though Piett had failed him just the same as Ozzel and Needa earlier in the film.

Exactly. You bring up even more points/evidence as to Vader's state of mind. I think it changed at the end of ESB, and that change was made evident in the storytelling cues provided.

Gotta disagree with you here Monkey. Just because Anakin says that Kenobi feel like a Father/brother to him does not mean that it is ever shown in the films. A little bit in the first 30 or so min in ROTS but in all honesty its too little to late.

Hell we get nothing out of their relationship in TPM and Obi wan is just constantly putting down Anakin in the limited time they share the screen together.

Very frustrating.

I would say yes... The Kylo / Rey relationship is far more interesting.. Minus the kiss at the end :lol Granted it was a very different one. But if you hate the films like you do then yeah.. None of the relationships are going to do anything for you.

Ok I?ll agree with you on this. If you play the ROTS game there is more dialogue between the two and more banter. It?s actually well made and very good. Obiwan literally begs anakin to return but he?s to far gone . That game was lowkey pretty great

Lol no you don?t like ROTs more than me. I was super hyped and watched the trailer everyday before release. Saw it at 12 when I was 15.

Being an edgy teen and in a new school I weirdly thought I related to anakin cause I was mad I went to a new school and left my friends. Lol idk. I got all the toys when they released.

Lol but you should get joker buddy

Back