Star Wars: The Acolyte

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leslye Headland: "It makes me feel sad that a bunch of people on the internet would somehow dismantle what I consider to be the most important piece of art that I've ever made."

View attachment 709494

Lucasfilm are full of the most narcissistic, deluded ***** in the industry. They are so blind by their own egos and agendas they can't see the forest through the trees.

Bewildering how ignorant of the wider world they are.

Lucasfilm are full of the most narcissistic, deluded ***** in the industry. They are so blind by their own egos and agendas they can't see the forest through the trees.

Bewildering how ignorant of the wider world they are.
If I found myself working on Star Wars, my first thought would be: "Oh f***k I'm on Star Wars, I better check my ego at the door and respect this thing."

But it's as if they think: "Yeah baby I'm on Star Wars, RESPECT MA AUTHORITY."

If I found myself working on Star Wars, my first thought would be: "Oh f***k I'm on Star Wars, I better check my ego at the door and respect this thing."

But it's as if they think: "Yeah baby I'm on Star Wars, RESPECT MA AUTHORITY."

The clear difference there is, you're obviously a reasonable, learned, passionate, compassionate, educated, intelligent, PROFESSIONAL - not a two year old that's lashing out through anger at fear, and worst of all... revenge for things that have ZERO to do the the IP.

ta.png

ta1.png

ta fail 2.gif

*sigh*

It's a legacy property with decades of canon and continuity, with an obsessive fan base. Even if it respected canon, even if it were well written and well executed, it was going to get slapped around a bit. Since it doesn't seem to do any of those things the result is predictable. My advice to Headland would be:

1. Read the room.
2. Don't treat a legacy IP like it belongs to you. If you want to attempt important art, go for it -- but this is an established product, not your personal magnum opus.

There is a section of fandom that sucks. I've met them, I've seen them. But I think it's fair to say the majority of fans want a consistent experience of a certain quality.

Headland needs to either learn -- or admit -- there's a difference between 'toxic fandom' and 'poorly handled and executed product'.

Am not a film expert; but loosely, am hard pressed to think of an era so populated with bad material as the post Harry Potter/DC/Middle Earth (yes, the Hobbit movies made ~ 3 billion globally and I'm a fan)/Transformers/Jurassic Park/MCU era....

It began, insidiously, with Feige hiring low end writers:horror:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-captain-marvel-directors-20190228-story.html
Unlike many of her predecessors in the MCU with introductory origin stories, Danvers, played by Larson (who segues effortlessly from indies such as “Room” to franchise fare such as “Kong: Skull Island”), arrives on the big screen already a super-being.
“Captain Marvel” is, notably, a film in which a woman overcoming her harshest, and primarily male, critics — the ones who have said her entire life that she’s too emotional and can’t possibly make it on her own — is key to her self-actualization.
“That has completely changed today. Not only because, with ‘Captain Marvel,’ we said, ‘We must hire a woman to direct it’ internally, but also because the entire world has changed. And there will be many more announcements to come. Put it this way,” he said enigmatically: “it’s only the beginning.”
According to Feige, Marvel will continue to look to hire inclusively, adding that it “also makes for better movies.”

IMO we won't know for years if Feige was pressured by Disney, who wanted to tap the cash of female, foreign, and "alternative" audiences. Needless to say, CM had a bull-in-the-china shop approach; co-opting better films, better heroes; disrespecting legacy characters, and the biggest success of the film was a cat - to be overused in the next film - and a lot of wood plank acting.

Subsequent D+ efforts, and not much has changed :pfft: , with some few bright spots like Loki and Mandalorian (which kept to the lore). It's not whether it's female directors, or writers - it's hiring these showrunners and writers who don't know what they don't know:thwak; and don't step back for a nanosecond to ask themselves if their "fun, edgy, indifferent-to-lore" approach really the right one?

And if it isn't, is it REALLY because of all the ***-cists, or because the material you're mutilating had universal archetypes with classic appeal; and there's nothing appealing at all about watering down or outright denigrating original characters and narratives?

I'm just framing it as "the dark times". Living through order imposed by the Empire😁.

Just sayin' an ANIMATED SERIES has better characters, better writing, better music than this *&^%-oh-lyte. Even if some witches showed up.:monkey3 (And Ezra wasn't a Gary-Sue, he messes up a lot, tempted by the Dark Side, etc,)

Anyway, I figure if nothing else, Disney stockholders aren't gonna keep putting up with it. They're used to big profits. Sooner or later there's gonna be a house-cleaning.

Last edited:
Why is it that the last season of an animated Star Wars show “The Bad Batch“ is some of the best Star Wars that we’ve gotten in the last few years?… And now it is been canceled/wrapped up? This is just IMHO of course.

Early on I thought Mae was a subconscious force projection of Osha’s. A traumatic result of losing her actual sister. I thought that spin was a neat trick.

Why is it that the last season of an animated Star Wars show “The Bad Batch“ is some of the best Star Wars that we’ve gotten in the last few years?… And now it is been canceled/wrapped up? This is just IMHO of course.

I ask the same about Andor, tho, IMO, both series ended/will end satisfyingly. I'd be surprised if Andor's quality drops off. I'm rewatching various SW off and on; remain impressed about the best of the writing/character development/character arcs.

Even with some of Filoni's cheesiness there's some great lines; and the actors/actresses/animators did amazing work, including voice work.

&^%$-o-lyte I figure is a Disney business loss tax write-off. :pfft:

I ask the same about Andor, tho, IMO, both series ended/will end satisfyingly. I'd be surprised if Andor's quality drops off. I'm rewatching various SW off and on; remain impressed about the best of the writing/character development/character arcs.

Even with some of Filoni's cheesiness there's some great lines; and the actors/actresses/animators did amazing work, including voice work.

&^%$-o-lyte I figure is a Disney business loss tax write-off. :pfft:
And they'll blame it on someone other than themselves. Heck, Amanda Stenberg already did with that so-called "music" video she posted.
Completely lost any respect for her after she pulled that ****.
And for sure! Disney will push out a season 2. And 3, And maybe even 4. Just wait and see.
CW did the same thing with Batwoman, which was sitting at a 2-point something rating after season 1. And they still made TWO more seasons! And I won't even get into detail how they replaced the actress with a certain stereotype, as if that would make any difference at all for it's **** writing. It still sits at a 3.6 on IMDB. lol
But again, CW went and blamed the viewers. Same as the Acolyte cast and crew is doing right now. And honestly, it's not even the show that ticks me off. It's the overall mentality and attitude from the cast and crew working on it. They're seriously all f***ed up in the head.
You're given a 180 million budget! How freaking hard can it be to take a little bit of time out of your day to write a good story? I mean holy crap, it's Star Wars! Do they even know how much lore (and ideas) are out there that they could have created something amazing from?! 🤬

Back