The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5350666258_a341cc8451_z.jpg

I prefer it to Blu-ray.

Sony lost Beta, but they won Blu-ray. :dunno

Many are with you on that one. Some felt the pQ was better too.

I haven't. I am so upset they lost this one. I still feel that for many titles my HD-DVD's look better. But hey, what can you do.

Believe it or not, I never bought any HD-DVD or Blu-ray when the war was going on. I waited for the winner AND THEN I bought movies like a mad fool again. :lol:lol
Of course there were those movies here and there that I wanted so bad so I bought the DVD anyway, and then later upgraded to Blu.

3D Bluray is now on the rise.

Really ? 3D TV has barely made a dent yet ? Much less the Blu's.

Believe it or not, I never bought any HD-DVD or Blu-ray when the war was going on. I waited for the winner AND THEN I bought movies like a mad fool again. :lol:lol
Of course there were those movies here and there that I wanted so bad so I bought the DVD anyway, and then later upgraded to Blu.

That is surprising. I was greedy. I had just done my theater and wanted Hi-Def goodness ASAP !

I don't regret it. I have three HD-DVD players plus one for parts. So I should be ok. By the time my players go, the titles I do have will be dirt cheap. So I am ok with that.

only the first JP is truly great, the rest are average

Agreed, but what can you do.

That is surprising. I was greedy. I had just done my theater and wanted Hi-Def goodness ASAP !

I know, isn't it?!?!?!?!? There can only be one format at a time in my house. :lol:lol
Once Warner Brothers dumped HD-DVD, I knew what I had to do. Luckily Best Buy has that deal when you buy any Blu-ray player you would get 10 free movies.

First, I've heard back from Universal here in the States. The situation is actually kind of amusing. Over the years, we've discovered that the studio operations in Europe are MUCH more likely to leak details of upcoming titles (prior to official announcements) than their counterparts here in the States. Obviously, the marketing director for Universal in France has done just that (see yesterday's post), indicating that the Jurassic Park films, Scarface and several other titles are on the way to Blu-ray in 2011. The official U.S. studio response is a little more cagey. Essentially, I've been told that Universal IS actively planning to release more of its catalog titles on Blu-ray this year, and the studio acknowledged that the titles mentioned by Eric Legay are under active consideration. So you've heard of a "non-denial denial"? What we have here is a "non-confirmation confirmation". We expect you'll begin to see official announcements over the coming weeks and months. We would imagine that something as big as the Jurassic Park trilogy would be a big late 3rd or early 4th quarter release. So make your (tentative) plans accordingly.

Speaking of leaks out of Europe, there's now word spreading around the Net that Warner will be releasing Stanley Kubrick's Lolita and Barry Lyndon on Blu-ray Disc in Europe on 5/18. Warner hasn't officially announced them yet, obviously, but they've previously acknowledged that they're coming. On that note, we've checked in with our industry sources on this again today, and they've confirmed that Warner Home Video IS going to be releasing Lolita and Barry Lyndon on Blu-ray this Spring (here in the States and elsewhere) as part of a larger Kubrick promotion.

What's more, our sources are NOW telling us that WHV (and their now in-house New Line label) is ALSO planning to release Peter Jackson's long-awaited The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Editions on Blu-ray sometime this year. No kidding. We suspect that, now that The Hobbit films are finally about to begin filming, the studio is eager to get more product on store shelves to keep the franchise fresh in the minds of fans. The Extended Rings films on BD are the obvious choice for this year. Farther down the line, of course, there will be the obvious Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D versions of The Hobbit films, and sooner or later an "ultimate" box set of all the films with all new extras custom created by Jackson. Anyway, our sources tell us to expect some kind of official news on all this (re: Rings: Extended and Kubrick) from the studio in the next several weeks.

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

For those of you that have Danny Boyle's film Sunshine on Blu-ray, there is a replacement program now for it. I just called the number and am getting my replacement via UPS. yay!

"Finally this morning, those of you who are fans of Fox's Sunshine on Blu-ray - and have Sony players (or the PS3) recently firmware upgraded to be Blu-ray 3D compatible - will no doubt be aware that there's been some problems playing the Sunshine disc since the upgrade. The resolution to the problem apparently requires that Fox reauthor the disc to be compatible... and thanks to the lobbying effort of a group of fans of the film on Facebook, the studio has now done so. To arrange a replacement copy, call 1-888-223-4369. They'll need your name, mailing address, and the make/model of your Blu-ray player. Replacement discs should be mailed out in 1 to 2 weeks."

The Criterion Collection has announced six titles for Blu-ray release in April. On April 12, it will release Le Cercle Rouge (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1970) and White Material (Claire Denis, 2009). A week later, it will release Kes (Ken Loach, 1969) and Sweetie (Jane Campion, 1989). And finally, on April 26 it will release Blow Out (Brian De Palma, 1981) and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Terry Gilliam, 1998). With the obvious exception of Le cercle rouge, all digital transfers are director-approved.

Special features include:

Blow Out:
New hour-long interview with De Palma, conducted by filmmaker Noah Baumbach
New interview with star Nancy Allen
Cameraman Garrett Brown on the Steadicam shots featured in the film within the film
Select on-set photos from photographer Louis Goldman
Original theatrical trailer
A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow and Pauline Kael's original New Yorker review

Le Cercle Rouge:
Excerpts from Cinéastes de notre temps: "Jean-Pierre Melville"
Video interviews with assistant director Bernard Stora and Rui Nogueria, the author of Melville on Melville
Thirty minutes of rare on-set and archival footage, featuring interviews with director Jean-Pierre Melville and stars Alain Delon, Yves Montand, and André Bourvil
Original theatrical trailer and 2003 Rialto Pictures rerelease trailer
A booklet featuring essays by film critics Michael Sragow and Chris Fujiwara, excerpts from Melville on Melville, a reprinted interview with composer Eric Demarsan, and an appreciation from director John Woo

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas:
Audio commentaries:
Terry Gilliam
Stars Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro and producer Laila Nabulsi
Author Hunter S. Thompson
Deleted scenes, with optional commentary by Gilliam
Selection of Thompson correspondence, read on camera by Depp
Hunter Goes to Hollywood, a short documentary by filmmaker Wayne Ewing
A look at the controversy over the screenwriting credit
Profile of Oscar Zeta Acosta, the inspiration for Dr. Gonzo
Collection of artwork by illustrator Ralph Steadman
Audio excerpt from the 1996 spoken-word CD Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, featuring filmmaker Jim Jarmusch and actor Maury Chaykin
Fear and Loathing on the Road to Hollywood, a 1978 BBC documentary with Thompson and Steadman
Storyboards, production designs, stills gallery, theatrical trailer, and TV spots
A booklet featuring an essay by critic J. Hoberman and two pieces by Thompson

Kes:
Making "Kes," a new documentary featuring Loach, Menges, producer Tony Garnett, and actor David Bradley
The Southbank Show: "Ken Loach" (1993), a profile of the filmmaker, featuring Loach, Garnett, directors Stephen Frears and Alan Parker, and other Loach collaborators
Cathy Come Home (1967), a feature directed by Loach and produced by Garnett, with an introduction by film writer Graham Fuller
A booklet featuring an essay by Fuller

Sweetie:
Audio commentary featuring Jane Campion, director of photoraphy Sally Bongers, and screenwriter Gerard Lee
Making "Sweetie," a video conversation between stars Genevieve Lemon and Karen Colston
Campion's early short films An Exercise in Discipline: Peel, Passionless Moments, and A Girl's Own Story
Jane Campion: The Film School Years, a 1989 video conversation between Campion and critic Peter Thompson
Gallery of behind-the-scenes photos and production stills
A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dana Polan

White Material:
New interviews with Clare Denis and actors Isabelle Huppert and Isaach de Bankolé
Short documentary by Denis on the film's premiere at the Écrans Noirs Film Festival 2010 in Cameroon
Deleted scene
Theatrical trailer
A booklet featuring a new essay by film writer Amy Taubin

562_BD_box_348x490.jpg

218_BD_box_348x490.jpg

175_BD_box_348x490.jpg

561_BD_box_348x490.jpg

356_BD_box_348x490.jpg

560_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Back