The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spanish site Zona DVD is reporting that Warner Home Video is preparing the Blu-ray release of Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition, including all the existing Superman movies (Superman: The Movie, Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace and Superman Returns); note that III and IV are new to high-def. The pack will reportedly consist of seven discs, with similar content to that of the standard-definition set released in 2006.

The release date has not been set yet. Although the new Supes movie, Superman: Man of Steel, is slated for theatrical release in December 2012, ZonaDVD states that it is highly likely that this BD set will come out as early as 2011.

:yess:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced Stand By Me for Blu-ray release on March 22. This celebrated 1986 coming-of-age story, directed by Rob Reiner and based on a short novel by Stephen King, centers around a group of friends in a late-1950s Oregon town. This BD will exclusively offer a new BonusView picture-in-picture track.

Special features include:
25 Years Later: A picture-in-picture commentary retrospective with director Rob Reiner and actors Wil Wheaton and Corey Feldman
Audio commentary with director Rob Reiner
Featurette: Walking the Tracks: The Summer of Stand by Me including interviews with Stephen King and Rob Reiner
Music video: Ben E. King, "Stand By Me"

:yess:

Excited for Superman and Superman II! :yess:
Oh wait, I already have those, so I guess I won't need the Ultimate box since it's just a repack! :hi5:

But 1 did ? I think they are both along the same lines. I enjoyed 2 a little more as I think it presented a challenge for him more so than 1. I don't know.

But 1 did ? I think they are both along the same lines. I enjoyed 2 a little more as I think it presented a challenge for him more so than 1. I don't know.

True. The first doesn't hold up that well either. All that stuff at the beginning of 2 where Lois is trying to prove Clark was Superman was way over the top.

I heartily recommend The Richard Donner Cut of Supes 2, which is available on Blu for about 10 bucks. Since a good deal of what eventually became Superman 2 was shot by Donner, it's tonally much closer to the original film than all the slapstick nonsense(such as the cornpone small town America filtered through British sensibility crap) that plagued Richard Lester's version. The presence of Brando as Jor-El gives it greater weight than the studio sanctioned film, as well.

The only thing that hurts it is the re-use of the "turn the world backwards" ending, albeit presented differently, that became the first film's finale. However, it's certainly better than the ridiculous "amnesia kiss" they ended up using.

Last edited:
On January 30 (yes, a Sunday), Best Buy will exclusively offer the Blu-ray edition of Almost Famous. Cameron Crowe's award-winning semi-autobiographical look at the world of 1970s rock music will be presented in its longer "bootleg cut," with a 162-minute run time. It carries a list price of $24.99, and is now up for preorder for $19.99.

Special features include:
Audio commentary with Cameron Crowe and Alice Crowe
Audio introduction by Crowe
Featurette: The Making of Almost Famous
Interview with the real Lester Bangs
Cameron Crowe's Top Albums of 1973
Music video: "Fever Dog"
Stillwater's Cleveland Concert
"Small Time Blues"
Stairway
"B-Sides" behind-the-scenes footage
Seven Rolling Stone articles with audio introduction by Crowe:
-The Allman Brothers from Dec. 6, 1973
-Led Zeppelin from March 13, 1975
-Neil Young from Aug. 14, 1975
-Peter Frampton from Feb. 10, 1977
-Fleetwood Mac from March 24, 1977
-Van Morrison from May 19, 1977
-Joni Mitchell from July 26, 1979

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Almost...1824115&lp=1&cp=1&ref=39&CJPID=3594900&loc=01

Apparently today is Retailer Exclusivity Day. Sony Pictures' animated cult movie Heavy Metal, initially announced for Blu-ray release on January 25 and later cancelled (see Blu-ray.com, November 15 and December 6, 2010), is now available for preorder exclusively at Best Buy, with a release date of February 1.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Heavy+...9472%20&lp=1&cp=1&ref=39&CJPID=3594900&loc=01

https://www.blu-ray.com/

I heartily recommend The Richard Donner Cut of Supes 2, which is available on Blu for about 10 bucks. Since a good deal of what eventually became Superman 2 was shot by Donner, it's tonally much closer to the original film than all the slapstick nonsense(such as the cornpone small town America filtered through British sensibility crap) that plagued Richard Lester's version. The presence of Brando as Jor-El gives it greater weight than the studio sanctioned film, as well.

The only thing that hurts it is the re-use of the "turn the world backwards" ending, albeit presented differently, that became the first film's finale. However, it's certainly better than the ridiculous "amnesia kiss" they ended up using.

Agreed. I actually enjoy the second one much more than the first one.

I have the Donner version on HD-DVD and I loved it. If you watch it without the first one in mind you don't mind the ending. I like it more the Donner way.

Spinning the Earth backward as a time travel device bugged me as a kid and bugs me even more today. I mean, Superman probably killed everybody on the planet by his shenanigans. I know boy blue isn't portrayed as the brightest individual, but you'd think he would've taken an elementary school science course back in Smallville.

Back