"The Dark Knight" 2008 !!!!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that this Batman outfit is going to look its best in darker scenes--for a movie called "The Dark Knight" these initial images are exceedingly well lit. We need to see him lurking in the shadows.
Don't fall into the Tim Burton mindset that "dark" simply means dimly lit. The darkness should come from the TONE and theme of the film, not the photography. At least imho.

In Burton's original film it was so darkly lit in scenes it felt like it could have been shot in someone's living room. Yet, tone-wise, the movie was about as "dark" as a circus for teenagers.

Also, keep in mind that these early stills were taken before post-production, and many times films are darkened during that process (shot day-for-night).

I was just thinking that in Batman Begins, you didn't really see that much of the suit in daylight or well lit interior scenes, yet that is all I saw in these preview images. So that just felt different to me. And a dark or dimly lit shot doesn't at all guarantee a dark tone to the film, your are certainly right bout that.

I remember some of the first LOTR set images being released were of the confrontation at Weathertop, and they just looked weird to me. But after post-production and digital color grading it looked fine and consistent with the rest of the film. There can also be a certain amount of that possible with these new Batman images.

Also, keep in mind that these early stills were taken before post-production, and many times films are darkened during that process (shot day-for-night).

Exactly, in fact, a great deal of films with low-light scenes are shot fully lit and then altered in post; I'd imagine that's true even of Begins. When you shoot in low-light, the cameras pick up more noise/graniness, so if you shoot in good lighting with little to no grain, then alter it in post, you'll get ideal image quality, plus with a film like Batman that's loaded with stunts, it's probably safest to shoot well lit to avoid accidents.

Thanks, but that seems a bit extreme, almost like a religious devotion, which I just can't comprehend, let alone share.

What are you talking about? Trusting a Writer/Director based on their body of work makes one an extremist or as you suggest some kind of religious devotee? I guess moviegoers looking forward to the next Hitchc-ock film back in the day were some kind of Religious cult? What would you call Scorcese fans in the 90s, Branch Davidian's?

It means I have confidence in the intellectual and artistic vision of Goyer and Nolan and that I trust their storytelling and Nolan's filmmaking ability. It's about Quality. Nolan has earned the trust of millions because he delivers quality.That's all it means and I can think for myself thank you. Like an extreme Religious devotion? :lol Get off it, man.

... how well Nolan handled both the story and visual aspects of BB (besides the action scenes) give me confidence that he and I are in sync about what we want to see in a Batman movie. That's where the "In Nolan We Trust" comes from, I think.

Correct DD. He has earned my trust and many others thus far.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Trusting a Writer/Director based on their body of work makes one an extremist or as you suggest some kind of religious devotee? I guess moviegoers looking forward to the next Hitchc-ock film back in the day were some kind of Religious cult? What would you call Scorcese fans in the 90s, Branch Davidian's?

It means I have confidence in the intellectual and artistic vision of Goyer and Nolan and that I trust their storytelling and Nolan's filmmaking ability. It's about Quality. Nolan has earned the trust of millions because he delivers quality.That's all it means and I can think for myself thank you. Like an extreme Religious devotion? :lol Get off it, man.
What I was talking about (that you apparently completely missed) is the way you made a simplistic comment that took an established phrase of religious devotion and applied it to a (mortal) film director. What you mean to say and how it appears to others on an Internet forum are not always the same thing.

Had you said what you just said above in the first place, there would have been no misunderstanding, and no vitriolic backlash from you.

How could you even assume that anyone here would mean that in the first place? This thread is about a Comic Book Movie, what the hell were you thinking!?

It's just a play on words man, what's wrong with you? Didn't Mad magazine used to have an ad using that phrase? In Alfred we trust? You really can't take things so literally without knowing the facts or the members intention in posting their comment.

Last edited:
One more point on the "In God We trust" thing. It is the US National Motto.

From Wikipedia...

In God We Trust is the current national motto of the United States and also the motto for the state of Florida. It was declared as such by an act of Congress in 1956. Though some believe that this Act displaced an already existing national motto, E Pluribus Unum meaning "out of many, (is) one" , the Congressional Record version of the legislation stated: "At the present time the United States has no national motto. The committee deems it most appropriate that 'In God we trust' be so designated as US national motto."

So, if anything "In Nolan we Trust" was a play on the US National motto. I think we can move on now. :lol

Last edited:
Batman 101 Trivia:

Bob Kane said two elements inspired him to create Batman.

What were they?

I was kidding. Wasn't he originally bird man?

All his life, Bob Kane maintained that he was inspired by several different sources to change the name “Bird-Man,” but this claim is a thoroughly fallacious subterfuge. As we’ll see in our next chapter, one source -- and one source ALONE -- inspired the change of the prefix of the new hero’s name from “Bird” to the mysterious and nocturnal sounding “BAT.”

Then, as recorded in The Steranko History of Comics, Finger recalls, "I got Webster's Dictionary off the shelf and was hoping they had a drawing of a BAT, and sure enough it did. I said, 'Notice the ears! Why don't we duplicate the ears?' I suggested [Bob] draw what looked like a cowl. I had suggested he bring the nosepiece down and make him mysterious and not show any eyes at all. I didn't like the wings, so I suggested he make a cape and scallop the edges so it would flow out behind him when he ran and would look like bat wings. He didn't have any gloves on. We gave him gloves.”

The next problem: What SETTING should the writer and artist use for their new hero’s first front cover image? Again, let’s copy the superstar -- Superman. The cover of the then-recent issue of Action Comics (#7, Dec. 1938, shown left) showed Superman dragging a terrified criminal high above the city.

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, Finger and Kane (or possibly Kane on his own) may have decided their NEW hero should do exactly the same. So Kane drew a similar scene, substituting the figure he had swiped from Flash Gordon for Superman. Kane's drawing, which was to be used almost unaltered for the cover of Batman's first adventure, looked something like this:

https://www.dialbforblog.com/

Click on the link and scroll down to see the resemblance's between Flash Gordon and Kane's Batman.

I was kidding. Wasn't he originally bird man?

Bob Kane credits DaVinci's sketch of a human glider (man strapped with Bat like wings) and Zorro as his inspiration for BatMan in 1939.

Cool shot Coco! The DK batsuit doesn't look that bad there, not as "busy gothic" as I feared. Still like the BB suit better.

Eli, Re: Kane. My source was Bob Kane himself. He mentioned his inspiration for Batman was the DaVinci human glider sketch with bat notation and Zorro more than once in the 89 Batman SE DVD.

Eli, Re: Kane. My source was Bob Kane himself.

Yeah, but Bob Kane was renowned as an outlandish liar and a plagiarist. He seemed especially fixated with stories of a man fighting crime in a childish costume.

Bad news! Death on the set:

A crew member involved in the filming of the new Batman movie has died in a car accident on the set, according to Reuters.

The Dark Knight special effects technician was killed when his 4x4 vehicle crashed into a tree during a dummy film run involving the Batmobile.

The incident happened on a property near Chertsey, Surrey, on Monday afternoon.

Surrey Police and the Health and Safety Executive said they were investigating a workplace fatality on a London film set.

From Variety today...

Warner Bros. has applied for local permits to shoot a portion of Batman sequel "The Dark Knight" in Hong Kong this fall.
In director Christopher Nolan's follow-up to "Batman Begins," the caped crusader will leave Gotham for the first time in the history of the film franchise to fight evil in another city -- or cities -- although it's unclear whether Hong Kong will be called Hong Kong or a fictional metropolis.

As it stands, the Warner Bros. project is hoping to touch down in the former British colony for a skedded nine days of shooting in November.

Warners wouldn't confirm the reports. Pic, whose plotline is being kept under tight wraps, also is lensing in Chicago and London.

"Dark Knight" returns Christian Bale to the bigscreen as Batman. Heath Ledger and Michael Caine also star.

Hong Kong production services companies have been abuzz for months with talk of what may be the highest profile foreign shoot for several years.

Warner has apparently applied for permits to shoot in the glossy business district of Central and neighboring Western. And one sequence could include the nightly Symphony of Lights laser show, a key tourist trademark for the city.

Local politicos have suggested that helicopters and night shooting could cause traffic chaos and noise pollution.

"We welcome the movie but want to ensure arrangements are hassle free," said Kwok Ka-ki, a local legislator.

It is not clear whether the Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures production will make use of the new Shaw Studios. State-of-the-art facility has lain unused for best part of the two years since its skedded completion, though it has recently been home to some commercials, including one shot by Ridley Scott's RSA, and is hosting Josh Hartnett-starring movie "I Come With the Rain" by helmer Tran Anh Hung.

Dark Knight outside of Gotham? The whole Joker storyline is set up in Gotham....maybe a return of Ras Al Ghul?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back