The Walking Dead - TV Series on AMC ( Comic and Un-aired Spoilers unwelcome!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed the episode. I thought it was needed. They are in Alexandria and all these things are going bad, they have to acknowledge what the locals are thinking. I thought it was mature of Maggi to decide not to go out. Pregnant or not it felt like she evolved as a character. Alot of the non core characters evolved last night. Oh and Rick now has something good going. He almost died last episode. Action is good but they needed some time developing the characters. If not, all the action is meaningless

I'm loving this season so far, along with this episode.

And yes.......I'm a chick, or for you Englishmen.......bird.

:D

...An Alexandria "cool-down" episode was coming and we all knew it. I'd hardly call it boring though...
...They are in Alexandria and all these things are going bad, they have to acknowledge what the locals are thinking... Action is good but they needed some time developing the characters. If not, all the action is meaningless
No offense but it's like you guys think you're the only ones that get the need for an expository episode where the characters take stock of their situation. Yeah, I totally get it (and am not looking for Michael Bay 'splosions 24/7) but IMO it was poorly written and Deanna especially. Walking around with a blank face/scowl for an episode doesn't convey a whole lot that this show hasn't done 10x better before (and the speeches... one after another... ugh). I'll agree on Aaron, though. He's the one character that felt genuine and believable to me. Overall season 6 has been excellent but no chance I'd ever re-watch this episode.

No offense but it's like you guys think you're the only ones that get the need for an expository episode where the characters take stock of their situation. Yeah, I totally get it (and am not looking for Michael Bay 'splosions 24/7) but IMO it was poorly written and Deanna especially. Walking around with a blank face/scowl for an episode doesn't convey a whole lot that this show hasn't done 10x better before (and the speeches... one after another... ugh). I'll agree on Aaron, though. He's the one character that felt genuine and believable to me. Overall season 6 has been excellent but no chance I'd ever re-watch this episode.

But Deanna (and the rest of the Alexandrians) have never been through this before. We, as viewers have been, which is why I think so many get so frustrated so quickly with these episodes.
The whole point of the episode was to fast forward the Alexandrians through the learning curve of how to survive in the world which they showed with Deanna, Jessie, Aaron, Spencer and Denise. I think all of them are now "on board" with knowing what to do to survive.
Was it a slow episode? Sure. Pointless? Absolutely not.

It's quality of dialogue and acting that will carry an episode like this and I thought both were lacking (Deanna and Denise being a couple examples). I would be more than happy with a brooding episode that is 100% character interactions as long as the acting and writing are there (just compare this episode with last week's). This episode I thought the vast majority of exposition felt forced and the conversations implausible (Maggie's speech was maybe the worst). I get what the episode was trying to accomplish but I don't think it did it particularly well. Anyways, I'll leave it there as I want to purge it from my memory. :lol Glad you guys enjoyed it, though! :duff

But Deanna (and the rest of the Alexandrians) have never been through this before. We, as viewers have been, which is why I think so many get so frustrated so quickly with these episodes.
The whole point of the episode was to fast forward the Alexandrians through the learning curve of how to survive in the world which they showed with Deanna, Jessie, Aaron, Spencer and Denise. I think all of them are now "on board" with knowing what to do to survive.
Was it a slow episode? Sure. Pointless? Absolutely not.

:goodpost:

Solid episode. Perhaps my least favorite of the season so far, but that's not meant with negativity because Season 6 has been excellent so far. I still really enjoyed the episode. An Alexandria "cool-down" episode was coming and we all knew it. I'd hardly call it boring though. If you want boring, I'd suggest watching "Slabtown" from Season 5 (the first episode at the hospital). But I digress.

It was nice to take a step back from the core characters and see the Alexandrians get fleshed out instead. Deanna's descent from her throne as visionary leader has been portrayed exceptionally well. She was just done for most of the episode, but her quick rebound from her stupefied catatonia was great. Her fervent stabbing of the walker with the broken bottle was awesome, despite her failure to go for the head. Jessie had some pretty good material too, and the kiss between Denise and Tara was a big surprise.

The real hero of this episode for me was Aaron. Taking the full blame for the Wolves' attack was noble, and his scene with Maggie in the sewer ("I have to live with that and you do too," followed by the hug) was great. His best scene though was at the end when they were wiping names off the wall and he told Maggie that "Aaron" or "Erin" works for a boy or a girl depending on how you spell it. That made my face light up more than Maggie's. Props to Ross Marquand (whom I met a few months ago, he's one of my favorite TWD actors I've met) for his portrayal of Aaron, who has quickly become one of my favorite characters.

I was expecting more from the "fight" between Ron and Carl, but it was comical nonetheless. Like father, like son. :lol Something is majorly fishy with Ron. He has expressed contempt toward Rick and Carl all season, and now suddenly he's interested in having a civil discussion with Rick and learning to shoot. There is no way that will end well.

Just my thoughts after my first viewing of the episode. Again, not my favorite, but I thought it was far from pointless or boring.

:goodpost::lecture

Agreed.

It's quality of dialogue and acting that will carry an episode like this and I thought both were lacking (Deanna and Denise being a couple examples). I would be more than happy with a brooding episode that is 100% character interactions as long as the acting and writing are there (just compare this episode with last week's). This episode I thought the vast majority of exposition felt forced and the conversations implausible (Maggie's speech was maybe the worst). I get what the episode was trying to accomplish but I don't think it did it particularly well. Anyways, I'll leave it there as I want to purge it from my memory. :lol Glad you guys enjoyed it, though! :duff

That's fair. The acting in this one didn't bother me, but it didn't knock me out of the park either, aside from Ross as Aaron who was 100% genuine. Thank you for being respectful of the opinions of those who enjoyed it. I wish more discussions in this thread could be courteous and respectful like this one. :duff

^That peaceful exchange was nice to see but there's an insinuation there that I can't agree with.

Speaking for myself I don't recall criticising the show where I simultaneously disrespected those who enjoyed it. If anything I've seen the opposite being the case in this thread - person 'x' saying they didn't like a given episode (with no reference to let alone insult directed at those who did) and then a bunch of people making passive aggressive remarks about 'haters' and 'whiners' with person 'x' undoubtedly in mind :dunno

Last edited:
Uhhh no, I'm a guy. I hardly see how my gender would make any difference with my thoughts on the episode anyway.

You hated the episode and that's fine. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Cool? Cool.

The theory is probably that chicks would be more likely to swoon over a kissy-face hour of The Walking Dead. Probably not a terrible theory. My wife applauded the Jessie kiss. I wasn't moved to react at all.

I get why the episode is narratively necessary. Need to show the Alexandrians coping with the attack , do a little character work on Jessie, Deanna, and Aaron (and Dr. Lesbian, I guess ... what's the opposite of a plot twist?). Need to show Rick growing on the town. Maggie reacting to Glenn's "death". Etc.

Just because it's necessary for the story doesn't mean I'd ever be inclined to rewatch it, though. Necessary doesn't make it great. Eh. It'll suffice 'til next week.

SnakeDoc

^That peaceful exchange was nice to see but there's an insinuation there that I can't agree with.

Speaking for myself I don't recall criticising the show where I simultaneously disrespected those who enjoyed it. If anything I've seen the opposite being the case in this thread - person 'x' saying they didn't like a given episode (with no reference to let alone insult directed at those who did) and then a bunch of people making passive aggressive remarks about 'haters' and 'whiners' with person 'x' undoubtedly in mind :dunno

Interesting... so you can infer remarks, passive aggressive or otherwise, when person "y" points out a viewpoint other than criticism, but you can't see it the other way around too? It goes both ways.

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't the episode with Glenn's "death" end with a cliffhanger as Rick was stuck in the RV while walkers were slowly surrounding it?

We had the Morgan episode, which of course was a break, but this episode started with Rick running towards Alexandria screaming for them to "Open the gate!".

Did I miss something? I know it's plausible that Rick just decided to ditch the RV and hightail it out of there, but it seemed like the show runners were setting it up for something else.

The theory is probably that chicks would be more likely to swoon over a kissy-face hour of The Walking Dead. Probably not a terrible theory. My wife applauded the Jessie kiss. I wasn't moved to react at all.

I get why the episode is narratively necessary. Need to show the Alexandrians coping with the attack , do a little character work on Jessie, Deanna, and Aaron (and Dr. Lesbian, I guess ... what's the opposite of a plot twist?). Need to show Rick growing on the town. Maggie reacting to Glenn's "death". Etc.

Just because it's necessary for the story doesn't mean I'd ever be inclined to rewatch it, though. Necessary doesn't make it great. Eh. It'll suffice 'til next week.

SnakeDoc

Agreed. Never said it was a great episode. Just that it wasn't pointless either. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.

Any theories on the blood leaking down the wall at the end of the episode?

Could be...
1.) Something bad happened to Jessie's son while on watch? Self inflicted? Wolves?
2.) Something bad happen to Spencer while on watch?
3.) Random Walker blood oozing through wall?

Other ideas?

Interesting... so you can infer remarks, passive aggressive or otherwise, when person "y" points out a viewpoint other than criticism, but you can't see it the other way around too? It goes both ways.

And so it should. But it just doesn't seem to go like that in this thread at all.

Why can't we simply disagree with the points someone is making about the show without the additional inferences and remarks about the people who are making the comments.

Ultimately this is pointless, I know, even if a small subset of people come to a peaceful understanding and truce - this is an open forum - any randomer can come in and upset the balance and start off more ***t.

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything, and I'm truly sorry if I did. Poor choice of words on my part. "Peaceful" would have been a better word to use rather than "courteous" or "respectful." I made a mistake, and I apologize. Disagreeing isn't the same as disrespecting, as long as insults aren't thrown back and forth. Participation in this thread is most enjoyable when people peacefully agree to disagree; that's all I'm trying to say with no further implications. :duff

I mean, I wasn't swooning over it, but I was certainly enjoying it. My remark about the Rick/Jessie kissing scene wasn't one suggesting that I had an "Omg I've been shipping this since last season and I can't believe they finally kissed!" reaction, but more of an "It's about damn time those two stopped beating around the bush and confirmed what has been so obvious for the last 10 episodes!" reaction. I was relieved to see some semblance of happiness amid the overwhelming dread from the past several episodes. I get what you're saying though. I assumed my username (which is literally my first and last name) was a sufficient indication of my gender, since I've never met a chick named "Zack" (but anything is possible I guess). So, I perceived it as more of a not-so-funny joke than a serious question. Maybe a misunderstanding, maybe not. I'll let it go.

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything, and I'm truly sorry if I did. Poor choice of words on my part. "Peaceful" would have been a better word to use rather than "courteous" or "respectful." I made a mistake, and I apologize. Disagreeing isn't the same as disrespecting, as long as insults aren't thrown back and forth. Participation in this thread is most enjoyable when people peacefully agree to disagree; that's all I'm trying to say with no further implications. :duff

You say you didn't intend to insinuate anything and I believe you, in which case I apologize to you, the mistake was mine. :duff

Any theories on the blood leaking down the wall at the end of the episode?

Could be...
1.) Something bad happened to Jessie's son while on watch? Self inflicted? Wolves?
2.) Something bad happen to Spencer while on watch?
3.) Random Walker blood oozing through wall?

Other ideas?

At first I thought it was blood but after watching it a few time I think it's a split in the metal wall forming from all the pressure of the walkers up against it. If metal gets worked back and forth enough it will split. It's going to open up allowing the walkers a way in to cull the Alexandrians.

Back