The Watchmen Figure Thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mask is all right, its feels like the same material presented on screen and on display looks good....not sure how they'd actually make it look any different really.

I'm wondering, and I guess I'm a newbie to the serious 1/6 scale collecting scene so please do not yell at me, but why is everyone messing their pants over these Hot Toys things that are supposedly coming out? Is Jesus Christ employed at Hot Toys making the figures the holiest of artifacts to be found in the world of Watchmen? Excuse my sarcasm, it's all out of love. I'm still waiting on my DC Direct Comedian to come but I hope I will be more than satisfied having him. I have Rorschach and he's better than I could have hoped for. I'm getting a little worried by all of this Hot Toys talk. Like, am I going to have to spend $400 on two more 1/6 scale figures of the Comedian and Rorschach that look modicumly better than the DC Direct ones? I really want to know what makes the Hot Toys figures so amazingly better than what DC Direct has to offer. If someone could be nice enough to explain it to a naive newbie like myself I would be ever appreciative. I understand the want for exact detail to a point, but really they're just dolls, aren't they?

I hope I didn't offend anyone, and I'm really sorry if I did. I want to be a part of the pack and talk about Hot Toys being better than DC Direct and Medicom and Barbie (heh) and all of the other 1/6 scale figures out there but I'm such a greenhorn and I don't know any better. I've been collecting 6" action figures all my life and I only started with the 12" guys when I found Tim the Enchanter at my comic book store.

Again, I'm really, really sorry if this post offends but I'm going to be ballsy and post it now...

Yep, Hot Toys are THAT amazing. Look at their figures, and you'll see why. Beware though. Once you get one HT figure, you will get hooked :lol. Just take a look at their Hellboy, Godfather, Bank Robber Joker and John Connor. Just some of the amazing figures they have produced. They truly are the GOD of 1/6 figures. Your post was fine. I didn't find it offensive at all.

Last edited:
Hot Toys has some very talented artists that go out of their way to create as realistic figures as they can. The amount of stuff they do for the figures is much more than any other company and they aren't afraid to tackle the hard stuff. Plus their figure bodies are much more realistic to actual humans than any other company.

To us these aren't dolls (heh heh)--more like posable statues.

Just compare these:
3882_DSC_0375_3x4.jpg
9617_a_full.jpg

The Hot Toys figure is much much more realistic.
And here's something that no other company would try in 1/6th scale form:
3815_DSC_6342a_3x4.jpg

And their prices are pretty reasonable, they were much more expensive than companies like Sideshow, but Sideshow's prices have gone up but Hot Toys hasn't, and the stuff that you would think would be ridiculously expensive, (like the Iron Man figure) aren't that much more than the regular less complex figures like the Joker.

Wow, those are really cool. If the Hot Toys Comedian blows me away I'll definitely get him, and I hope he does, because I can't get enough of that guy. Thank you for explaining it nicely. It was the "dolls" line that I thought for sure would offend somebody. I think of them as dolls with the very lowest part of my brain because when I was a kid I had a 12" G.I. Joe figure (I was a tomboy and only played with boy figures) that I was teased for because he had removable clothes and could substitute for my friend's Ken doll. I promptly got rid of it and stuck to the smaller figures for most of my life. Also my father likes to call my entire collection "toys and dolls" which grates my nerves. When you spend over $100 on something that was meant to rest on a stand on a shelf, it doesn't qualify as a toy IMO. Anyway I'm getting a little off track (I do that a lot, terribly sorry as I'm sure it annoys). The Hot Toys Joker looks much better than the other one, and the Iron Man is amazing.

EDIT: John Conner looks great, too. His gun fascinates me.

I'm wondering, and I guess I'm a newbie to the serious 1/6 scale collecting scene so please do not yell at me, but why is everyone messing their pants over these Hot Toys things that are supposedly coming out? Is Jesus Christ employed at Hot Toys making the figures the holiest of artifacts to be found in the world of Watchmen? Excuse my sarcasm, it's all out of love. I'm still waiting on my DC Direct Comedian to come but I hope I will be more than satisfied having him. I have Rorschach and he's better than I could have hoped for. I'm getting a little worried by all of this Hot Toys talk. Like, am I going to have to spend $400 on two more 1/6 scale figures of the Comedian and Rorschach that look modicumly better than the DC Direct ones? I really want to know what makes the Hot Toys figures so amazingly better than what DC Direct has to offer. If someone could be nice enough to explain it to a naive newbie like myself I would be ever appreciative. I understand the want for exact detail to a point, but really they're just dolls, aren't they?

I hope I didn't offend anyone, and I'm really sorry if I did. I want to be a part of the pack and talk about Hot Toys being better than DC Direct and Medicom and Barbie (heh) and all of the other 1/6 scale figures out there but I'm such a greenhorn and I don't know any better. I've been collecting 6" action figures all my life and I only started with the 12" guys when I found Tim the Enchanter at my comic book store.

Again, I'm really, really sorry if this post offends but I'm going to be ballsy and post it now...

Great post. And Hot Toys are brilliant but if the DC Direct does the job for you then that's what you should own. It's up to you!

As for saying 'really they're just dolls, aren't they?'...I disagree. That might be true of most companies (cough, SS, cough) but I think oriental companies like HT, Enterbay and to a lesser extent Medicom are producing these dolls as a kind of art form which seems to be more widely appreciated in the Far East than in the West. That's the impression I get. Sculptors like Yulli, Arnie Kim and Kojun are producing durable pop art as much as toys. That's what I love about owning a HT figure - some people love the detail or the sculpts or the fact that a Hot Toys Batman is probably the 'ultimate' version of that character. Whether it ever justifies the price is between you and your pocket book. I'd say 'no'...if I wasn't insane!

I'm amazed that that Batman's legs are spread so far apart and yet his feet are both flat on the ground. But then when I ordered my Rocketeer RAH he looked like that, and in reality his boots don't flex at all. Batman's probably do knowing how everybody here praises these figures. Did the Don come with his chair? :D

Ohh, if the Hot Toys one is so marvelous I'm sure I'll pick it up no matter what the price is. I think I own every piece of Comedian merchandise there is, and I'm not going to let an amazing figure get past me. *sigh*

I'm amazed that that Batman's legs are spread so far apart and yet his feet are both flat on the ground. But then when I ordered my Rocketeer RAH he looked like that, and in reality his boots don't flex at all. Batman's probably do knowing how everybody here praises these figures. Did the Don come with his chair? :D

Ohh, if the Hot Toys one is so marvelous I'm sure I'll pick it up no matter what the price is. I think I own every piece of Comedian merchandise there is, and I'm not going to let an amazing figure get past me. *sigh*

Yup there is articulation at the ankles and the boots are soft enough to allow you to move the feet.

Don will indeed come with his chair. His cat is also included.

yaaaay hot toys.

anyway, did anybody get the 13" Manhattan yet? how much should i expect to pay for a loose one?
i'm considering getting it to use for a Vietnam setup with the 7" Comedian figure.

yaaaay hot toys.

anyway, did anybody get the 13" Manhattan yet? how much should i expect to pay for a loose one?
i'm considering getting it to use for a Vietnam setup with the 7" Comedian figure.

He's really just a barebones 13" body with a new head. I would scour ebay and look for the best deal you can find. You can probably get him for $40 or less.

He's really just a barebones 13" body with a new head. I would scour ebay and look for the best deal you can find. You can probably get him for $40 or less.
yep. i read the Crawford review of it and i'm kinda shocked at the price point.
that's why i'm looking for a loose one. nothing turning up on ebay yet, though.

You know, I wondered a lot of this myself being (brand) new to collecting. And then I bought my fiance the Hot Toys Dallas and Kane from Alien for Christmas, and was just blown away by the amazing attention to detail and dedication to screen accuracy that some other figure companies simply do not have.

And am I satisfied with my DC Direct Rorschach? Sure, it satisfies my basic needs for a figure that looks enough like the character and a reasonable likeness to Jackie Earle Haley. But if Hot Toys made the figure, I would absolutely drop more money on it in a heartbeat, because I know that it would be extremely detailed, screen accurate, and have more than a passing likeness to JEH, because that's just what Hot Toys does--they attempt to truly recreate the character for you, rather than just give you a reasonable facsimile that you'll be okay with.

yaaaay hot toys.

I ordered off of EBay, you shouldn't be paying much there. In fact, you'll probably get it for less than half the retail price for a new one. The figure does come with an excellent suit though. Check out https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_030609a.htm for the review on him.

yep. i read the Crawford review of it and i'm kinda shocked at the price point.
that's why i'm looking for a loose one. nothing turning up on ebay yet, though.

You just have to be patient.:D I was just checking EBay for less than a week after I read Michael Crawford's review and got him for $35 brand new.

Back