Things I Hate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fat-man.jpg

Paul Sr. is really letting himself go.

I hate it when your fence falls over in the wind and the neighbor thinks they should only pay 40% even though they have a German Shepard and a pool.

His rational? A few years before we moved in, they paid to have the front section of the fence replaced (so he says).

Last edited:
I hate it when your fence falls over in the wind and the neighbor thinks they should only pay 40% even though they have a German Shepard and a pool.

His rational? A few years before we moved in, they paid to have the front section of the fence replaced (so he says).

Never share anything like that with a neighbor. It only causes problems. I have no idea how this is set up, but put a fence a few inches into your property just for you and the hell with him. You take care of your own and he can get his own or do without. Also, if you have no need for a fence at all, then let him deal with it. He has the pool and dog.

The thing to be aware of with fences is in many communities if you put up a fence you are surrendering ownership of anything outside the fenceline. It may only be a few inches now, but it can be a few thousand dollars in resale value later. Know your local law before putting up a fence.

The thing to be aware of with fences is in many communities if you put up a fence you are surrendering ownership of anything outside the fenceline. It may only be a few inches now, but it can be a few thousand dollars in resale value later. Know your local law before putting up a fence.

If it's your fence, and you want to sell, you could always take it down.

Like I said, I have no idea what your set up is, but sharing things like that with a neighbor can be a constant headache when it comes to getting it fixed or replaced or painted or whatever. Since you do share it now, and the wind blew it down, then he should be responsible for half.

I hate it when my neighbor's fence falls over in the wind (according to them) and they think paying 60% is unfair even though when they moved in a few years ago, I paid to have the front section of the fence replaced. Then they even had the nerve to complain about my pimp ass pool and German Shepard named ÜberDoggenSchnell.

Never share anything like that with a neighbor. It only causes problems. I have no idea how this is set up...if you have no need for a fence at all, then let him deal with it. He has the pool and dog.

I should have clarified; it is a property line fence for the backyard which is required per California Civil Code in most Southern CA suburban neighborhoods and is considered mutual property. I was pissed off when I posted earlier because I have talked to the neighbor before about the fence being in...disrepair, but I don't want to start some neighbor war. If I wanted to be an ass, I could call the city to have it inspected because we know it wouldn't pass code and, since they have a pool, the city would ticket them with a Compliance Order.

I hate it when my neighbor's fence falls over in the wind (according to them) and they think paying 60% is unfair even though when they moved in a few years ago, I paid to have the front section of the fence replaced. Then they even had the nerve to complain about my pimp ass pool and German Shepard named ÜberDoggenSchnell.

Again, I should have clarified that it is a property line fence so it is mutual property. He actually came over to our house because the back section (8 sections total) is currently being held up by garbage cans and the wind blew them over. He claims that he replaced the front section before we moved in. The home was a foreclosure when we bought in 2008 so as far as we know the bank had it done to pass city inspection. We have no problem with their pool or their dog, but it is unreasonable to expect us to pay 60% for something done a year before we moved in. Either way, your sarcastic other-perspective was entertaining.

Last edited:

Easily resolved. Tell him if he's paying 40%, you'll be picking the contractor (hint at day laborers), the type of fence going up, the wood being used, and promise him/her that every single ugly board with a knot, crack, stain, etc., will be facing their yard. We had this same problem with neighbors who pulled the whole, "No habla Anglaise" BS. After we told them that (in Spanish no less), their English improved about 200% and we were able to fix the fence at a 50/50 ratio. :lol

Back