Things I Hate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still weird.

The phrase "gorilla enclosue" feels like a dare.

I always took them for climbers. West Seattle zoo had them behind glass (or something). Like a butterfly collection without the pins. Actually looked a lot like the one in crows' video. Maybe they should try the pins.

vlad_s_victims.gif

At the end of the day nobody but those immediately involved know the circumstances and events leading up to the child being in that enclosure.

I've got kids. Taking your eye off them for a minute is something that happens to parents almost every single day.

The reports I've read is that the enclosure was easily accessed by anyone inclined to climb a low fence and crawl past a bush - just the type of adventuring one would expect from a four-year old.

A zoo housing a gorilla needs to keep their house in order. If it's easy enough for a parent to keep their kids from wondering then it must be even easier for a zoo to prevent a four-year old from accessing one of its enclosures.

A few seconds is all it takes to have a child slip from view. You turn around, they're gone. You look around. Maybe you don't look in the right direction at the right time. There are loads of other people around, you have to look through and around all of them. In the meantime, maybe just a few metres away, the kid has crawled through the bush that apparently leads straight to the gorilla enclosure.

What isn't clear is what the parents did. What is clear is that a kid shouldn't be able to find away into an enclosure housing potentially dangerous creatures.

Maybe they're rubbish parents, maybe they're not.

The zoo though has undoubtedly failed in its duty of care to its patrons.
I don't appreciate your nicely articulated and well thought out posts. Its much better to immediately condemn everyone and cry for a gorilla.

Please sir, in the future, adhere to interweb rules of behavior.
It's weird that you can still kidnap gorillas and charge money to look at them.
Well less than 100 years ago you could see Native Americans in a zoo, maybe 100 years from now people will stop imprisoning intelligent creatures :dunno

Careless parenting? Yes.

A child doing some dumbass child ****? Yes.

Total failure by the zoo to properly prevent an incident like this from happening? Yes.

Should an animal be killed if even there is a slight chance it could kill a child? Yes.

For a second, imagine if it was your child/niece/nephew in there, would you hesitate to shot that gorilla to save them? I wouldn't. Sorry gorilla, my negligence has led to the immediate threat of death to my child, now you must die.

Hey zoo, get your **** together.

​Whatever the zoo was doing, they got it right for 38 years. There are so many different reports out there. Some say it was easy, some say it wasn't.

I've worked with 4 year olds all my adult life. I know what they are capable of. Have one that is set loose...no fence or barrier will deter him.

Those are the ones you either hang on to, or leash.

Back