1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you all have this figure in hand, yes?

That's the thing. Majority of the people nitpicking do not have it in hand, aka don't really know what they're talking about. Nothing wrong with nitpicking, its a not so hidden purpose of the forum and there are things to nitpick as people with the figure has pointed out - what gets old are people not owning the figure beating the dead horse over and over because they want to justify to themselves and others reasons not to get it or why Vader figure X, Y or Z is better in their eyes.

It just gets old and makes for very boring reading to scroll past between interesting posts, for me at least its nothing to do with getting mad over people criticizing a figure I happen to have bought, if I like something I'm perfectly fine with people thinking it is a pile of garbage, just say it once or twice then move on to threads about stuff thats enjoyable.. lingering here to repeatedly complain when not even owning or seen the figure in hand just to keep justifying why not getting it or why ye olde kaiyodo mask is Gods gift to humanity makes for a lower quality forum experience.

For an experiment, look through the thread and see how many people owning this Vader thinks its good in hand vs how many going "I'll be returning this pile of garbage" ..the writings on the wall.

Agree on the picture quotes :lol

It always goes like this with second or third variations on the same character (Look at all the Nolan-Batman discussions for example...)
Repeatedly complaining about repeated complaints is rather... ironic. :rotfl
Besides, you argue that compainers just want to convince themselves not to buy...while I do think that it is true in many cases, it also indicates that you have to continously "fight" them to justify your purchase for yourself.
If you do indeed like it, just enjoy it. While constant nitpicking may seem boring or annoying, it does help improve the quality of some figures. It often highlights some glaring issues, in this case HT did make the widows peak smaller and made the light-up function more accesible. I'd take some annoying posts any time over less-criticism and lower quality figures. The repeated criticism and nitpicking here may "inspire" HT to fix some things on the ROTJ version even though it is extremely probable right now, that they will reuse this mask.

Part 2 ESB? Are you getting that from the thread title? This is the only ESB version of Vader hot toys has made. The thread is called part 2 because the original thread was locked because of fighting over the last Jedi.

Lol, Yes, I thought hot toys released a 2nd version.
Like I said, I don't frequent the star wars thread, so I assumed hot toys released a 2nd version.
Thanks for the explanation. :duff

So i had some aesthetic defects and requested replacement parts from SS: glue/paint residue or a scuff on the dome, and some gunmetal paint on the chestbox. I came home to the replacement parts they sent today...

IMG_9900.jpg

IMG_9901.jpg

IMG_E9902.jpg
:panic:

I was expecting a small box with the dome and chestbox/vest but i'll take this! :yess:

Worked on my birthday today, so this is a nice reward!

That's a nice replacements parts haul :panic:

Nah I dont need to justify my purchase, I expected the figure to be awesome, not perfect and it overshot my expectations. Got burned by the SS deluxe before. The ESB figure's base is a big bonus too, like the SS's imperial sigil was.

I'm a glass is half full kinda guy and I guess I am trying to tell people on the fence to buy this before its sold out, no guarantee a rotj Vader will be a big/any improvement, especially if they choose to go with 1 head sculpt with reveal function over what they done with their 1:4 Vader.. this ESB helmet the more I look at it seems like a reveal helmet tweaked to only show the back like in the meditation chamber scene.. for now.

Damn, this took a while to power up. HT needs to come up with a simpler batter power design. Boxes, no problem, but that lit sabre arm took me like 45 minutes to snap in correctly.

My note is the same as (ZE501?) remove the helmet, head, armor (velcro) and cape and lay them aside before you start installing batteries. This way you won't damage the head or helmet.

BUT, it is an amazing figure, so well made, every detail in the HS. Now, I have to get my Besbin Luke out and power up his arm as well to get set up for battle poses. Will try to take a pic tomorrow.

Last edited:
So I finally messaged ToySapiens here in Japan regarding this as it was scheduled for release here in June and has been continually pushed back with no communication or reason from them yet the rest of the world got it in August even though release was scheduled for October.

This being Japan, they’ll try their best to just apologize and do as little work as possible to actually give a definitive answer. I told them that’s unacceptable and I want an actual answer to my question. Let’s see if they do....

No worries, man.

Yes, there’s a v1 and v2 ANH Vader. V1 is the MMS279 figure, the one that came out first. V2 ANH Vader is the one that came exclusively with the GM Tarkin two-pack; they didn’t offer the v2 ANH Vader by itself. V2 is essentially an amalgam of parts from the R1 Vader and the v1 (MMS279) ANH Vader. To get the perfect ANH Vader, people usually use parts from the v1 and v2, as both have their pros and cons. The cons on one are pros on the other, and vice versa.

They only make this one ESB Vader. There’s no two versions of him.

So if your goal is to have a Vader with shiny armor, regardless of what iteration it is, I’d keep your newly acquired R1 Vader for now, and see what RotJ Vader offers first. Then from there, you could either decide to just keep R1 Vader, or sell him for either ESB or RotJ.

However, both ANH Vaders and this Vader I think are more in scale with other figures. They made R1 Vader too tall, which I suppose if you’re displaying him on his own, wouldn’t matter.

Thank you very much man, this really helps a lot.
I wasnt aware.
The only Vader thread I checked out every once ina awhile was R1, cause I loved how it looked, and I loved the shiny finish.
But when it sold out, I wasn't really sure about paying eBay prices.
So when I saw an R1 on eBay with a great price, I jumped on it.

Yes, for my personal preference, I want the shiny Vader. Lol.
I'll stick with my R1 then for now, and I can wait and see if I eventually want to trade it up for ROTJ.
Thanks bud for the detailed explanation. That really helped . :1-1:

So i had some aesthetic defects and requested replacement parts from SS: glue/paint residue or a scuff on the dome, and some gunmetal paint on the chestbox. I came home to the replacement parts they sent today...

View attachment 425646

View attachment 425647

View attachment 425648

I was expecting a small box with the dome and chestbox/vest but i'll take this! :yess:

Pretty sure they'll make you destroy the other stuff. They did the same to me and later messaged that they hadn't received destroyed pics, but never said anything about that in their original message

I guess you just had to be there in 1980. That moment was up there in the top 5 most chilling/memorable moments of ESB for me. It opened up so many questions and possibilities about who/what Vader was.

Hearing it dismissed as an "ugly scar" - like it's a moment where we got an accidental glimpse of Vader's tramp stamp as he got into the shower - just sounds kinda funny.

It should have been done right. It's a major moment.

"Extra cool details" that never get seen shouldn't affect the main display of the figure - this one does. The addition of this inaccurately done hidden feature made necessary the somewhat wonky/insecure dome attachment and also makes the bolts/greeblies visible from the front - when Vader's helmet is never like that onscreen in ESB.

The whole idea to simply use the ROTJ helmet glued shut is the problem - ie a cost-cutting move. As I said, its created mask inaccuracies like the too-shallow angle on the mouth grill, the too-big mouth due to a top/lower half seam and the quite visible gap/break in the tusk rail.

Had HT simply done a "clean" ESB Vader helmet without the split/reveal feature none of these issues would be present - and visible.

But the top of the helmet encloses the head too much to fully paint it the way it is in ESB.

But yeah - you'd think HT would have at least done the way cooler/grosser "burn victim" ESB skin color instead of the silent-movie-star baby powdered face coloration we got in ROTJ.
I was there. The scar was probably the least memorable thing about ESB to me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not to mention it's really not that bad in hand so just because it isn't a perfect replica of the actual scar it's still pretty damn good. You guys make it sound like my six-year-old did it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

View attachment 425646

View attachment 425647

View attachment 425648

If you are selling the scuffed up helmet I’ll buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I picked this guy up on impulse (and a great deal) but now have to either sell him or the Vader Tarkin 2 pack... thoughts? havent opened either yet so just looking for others opinions

That's a nice replacements parts haul :panic:

Nah I dont need to justify my purchase, I expected the figure to be awesome, not perfect and it overshot my expectations. Got burned by the SS deluxe before. The ESB figure's base is a big bonus too, like the SS's imperial sigil was.

I'm a glass is half full kinda guy and I guess I am trying to tell people on the fence to buy this before its sold out, no guarantee a rotj Vader will be a big/any improvement, especially if they choose to go with 1 head sculpt with reveal function over what they done with their 1:4 Vader.. this ESB helmet the more I look at it seems like a reveal helmet tweaked to only show the back like in the meditation chamber scene.. for now.

Yeah that's another reason I finally decided to order, as there's no guarantee the ROTJ version will be any better (and I don't have much interest in a full reveal mask anyway).

Just grabbed a parted out helmet for my SS Vader Deluxe and a couple of gripping hands for my ANH V1 Vader from TA. Pretty happy.

Robe over or under armor?

White switches or gray switches on chest box?

Square green lights or rectangular green lights on boxes?

Big chin grill or small chin grill?

Gloves with vertical lines or horizontal lines?

Mean eyes or wide eyes?

I simplified mine. Easier for the Vader impaired... :wink1:

Back