1/6 Hot Toys - MMS284 - Avengers: AoU - Ultron Prime Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, there's just something odd about his proportions. Not bashing the figure but more his design in general. I think it's his torso and shoulders that kill it for me.

Excited to see in hand pics of this one though.

That piece of plastic happens to represent a character that highly appeals to me, and one that in no doubt required a lot of tooling and meticulous sculpting just to churn out 16 inches worth of it with glowing internal lights unlike anything we've seen from an IM figure. I don't see how it being a piece of plastic somehow makes it less worth it when 90% of 1/6 collectibles are made of the damn thing. :lecture

Terminator? Grievous? Cylon? I don't see how being a "combination" of those lessens the impact of the character design, especially when Ultron's entire persona in the comics is a HUGE callback to those very same type of pulpy sci-fi killer robots.

Ooof. Struck a nerve there...sorry about that. Wasn't trying to rain on the parade for those that are into this...as for that "combination" lessening any impact the design has...well, it's more an observation than a criticism. If the design is meant as some kind of visual callback to the whole genre of "killer robots" as you point out, then yes...it's a pretty successful design. I guess it's just not "wow'ing" me right off because of those visual tic's are a little too obvious. But...I won't be surprised if after I get a good view of this thing moving around and talking and whatever else it's going to do in the movie, I'll be right on board....

...and speaking more to influences, just saw another one looking at these pics. Is there a little "destroyer" thrown in that mix? Could that be a bit of a plot point? Stark used a little Asgardian influence in the design there that got away from him? Now see? There is something fun going on here with those visual influences... :)

Pops into thread to see if the price is the only discussion point.

Yep.

Leaves thread.

....and c'mon....these figures are taking quite the quick hike upwards over the last several releases, with no end to the escalation in sight. Of course it's going to be a main topic of the chatter here....

Last edited:
Re: Hot Toys Ultron Prime 1:6 scale figure - official pictures

Yeah...this figure just isn't doing it for me. I don't keep the lights on in my light-up figures so they need to look good unlit. This one doesn't. Especially not for $375. It might be a perfect recreation of the movie figure but it just doesn't have the shelf presence I need. $375 is close to Iron Monger money, but Iron Monger gives you a boatload of shelf presence. This figure...not so much. It just looks like another Terminator exoskeleton. Even if I fall in love with Ultron in Avengers 2 and decide I need this guy after all, the $375 price tag is a deal-breaker. I just don't see the value for money here.

I'll wait to see what the drones look like, or maybe I'll pick up Thanos instead.

THANK GOD it's not diecast crap. Very evident due to the sharp details they got with this. Diecast detail suck ****s compared to plastic.

You guys think this doesn't look good?? The detail is far more impressive than any Iron Man HT has made.

Ultron.jpg

Wow. I was completely excited for this reveal but in my opinion, this looks terrible. I'm actually really surprised at what they've done with this. His face and shoulders look really bad to me.

The shoulders look giant and way out of proportion and his face looks hilarious. All the lines around his face make him look like he has wrinkles or cat whiskers. Looks like old man Ultron. Not very intimidating. I don't know - just looks bad to me, almost cartoonish.

Ooof. Struck a nerve there...sorry about that. Wasn't trying to rain on the parade for those that are into this...as for that "combination" lessening any impact the design has...well, it's more an observation than a criticism. If the design is meant as some kind of visual callback to the whole genre of "killer robots" as you point out, then yes...it's a pretty successful design. I guess it's just not "wow'ing" me right off because of those visual tic's are a little too obvious. But...I won't be surprised if after I get a good view of this thing moving around and talking and whatever else it's going to do in the movie, I'll be right on board....

...and speaking more to influences, just saw another one looking at these pics. Is there a little "destroyer" thrown in that mix? Could that be a bit of a plot point? Stark used a little Asgardian influence in the design there that got away from him? Now see? There is something fun going on here with those visual influences... :)

Absolutely no offense taken. I thought I'd voice out why I'm fine with my purchase and why I feel it's a bit misguided to dismiss this release because of the price. Yeah Ultron is essentially Marvel's poster boy for the classic "killer robot" or "A.I. gone rogue" trope. It should also be noted that, aside from specifics like the humanoid face and intricate body, the overall general look of this design is still very much reminiscent of his modern comic aesthetic.

As for the Destroyer reference, while there's no concrete info if his design was partly inspired by it, it wouldn't really surprise me given how even in the comics there's actually a Destroyer-inspired version of Ultron . :)

tumblr_lkqcq1hJdc1qbn6jwo1_500.jpg

I'm just happy enough we haven't yet reached the $500 mark with Ultron's release. Now that I'll finally be able to get Ultron as a 1/6 figure, HT can continue hike up their prices and I wouldn't care one bit. :lol

I can't wait for this to go on wait-list and watch half the people here complaining about it scramble to get on it. :rotfl

Not bashing the fig but I think wait list is highly unlikely. $400 shipped, no exclusive, nrd, and its being dependent on light up functions. When is the last time a non exclusive hot toys preorder with nrd went wait list before hitting the market? I don't remember any recently.

Do we have any good shots of how he looks in the movie? Don't have much to compare this by.

Actually that's what I'm wondering about. All this time, most people have just been comparing the figure with promo shots and artworks. While yeah, Ultron doesn't really have much in the way of an actual "actor" likeness, but a lot of the time promotional artworks of the MCU characters don't really give an accurate representation of what they'll look like in the film.

If I had to make a guess, I think the reason why the shoulders look so big is because the outer plating don't really sit flush on the shoulders and act more as a covering to make room for the articulation. Because of this, in some pics it almost looks like he has blatant shoulder pads instead of just having bulky shoulders.

Just compare the following pic with HT's proto. If you look closely, there's a very obvious break between the shoulders and the "collar bones" whereas in the film still it's meant to transition smoothly between the two parts.

dTFIVVh.jpg

While I don't really hate it since the figure seems like it's designed with the articulation in mind, it does seem to detract the overall accuracy of the sculpt.

you know the first time i actually bought a figure from HT, (MK 3 iron man) back in 2009, i got into a fight with my dad, and his argument was exactly the same, spending a thousand HKD on a piece of plastic.
people just don't understand do they...

Decided fix it with photoshop knowledge. The big problem is neck, you can see on trailer ultron is much more bulky

Attachments

• ultron fix.jpg
    ultron fix.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 293
All this talk about price..how does everyone rate the job Hot Toys did on the figure? I wanna see it unlit the way it's gonna look on my shelf. Wish they used some type of red phosphorescent glass crystal inside to get it to shimmer in natural light-then the price might be more justified. This is one figure that needs the batteries/lights on to really pop !
That's exactly what I was thinking. I stated in another thread that it looked horrible without the lights and someone said what did you expect it to look like?

Decided fix it with photoshop knowledge. The big problem is neck, you can see on trailer ultron is much more bulky

No offense but he looks a bit TOO thick and muscular in your edit, both in the neck and the overall body. Ultron may be big, but he should also look sleek. If anything, I'd like to see someone move the shoulders down closer to his main frame similar to the trailer screencap I showed above. Do that and I think this figure will look much better.

EDIT - Nevermind, I made my own edit:

sIBluqH.jpg

Figure looks great, will wait for a coupon though.

Frankly, I'm disappointed the only EX we've gotten for this line was the Mark 43. The lack of EXs prevents me from Day 1 POs, not to mention I just think its lazy on HT's part.

View attachment 165695

I said it from the start, the sculpt looks fantastic! I think it'll only get better as more production photos come out. It's definitely true though, that this would look a lot more stunning if the lights were always on. Powered-down Ultron loses a bit of presence. The body still looks okay, but the face loses all life instantly. Though I'm sure some would argue that it wouldn't be a Hot Toy without lifeless eyes :lol

Still, I think those who do purchase him will be really happy in the end! Though those upset or turned away by the price are justified as well...even though some will no doubt change their mind once they see the movie. But I mean, that always happens! Who doesn't want everything after they leave the theater? :lol

Thanks for posting this Pic Golden_Boy ! I needed to see him unlit. Hot Toys should have been bold enough to post a shot of him unlit and not rely so much on the light feature . And Any of us who collects Iron Man knows those lights don't last very long they go dim in no time. He loses a lot without them. But your right when we see the movie and if the James Spader voice is infectious and were loving Ultrons performance, especially if the film excels at how he beats down the Avengers, most of us will be picking him up like hot cakes.

you know the first time i actually bought a figure from HT, (MK 3 iron man) back in 2009, i got into a fight with my dad, and his argument was exactly the same, spending a thousand HKD on a piece of plastic.
people just don't understand do they...

"Just plastic" arguments baffle me. Can they shape plastic to form these masterful works?? Not in a million years.

Figure looks great, will wait for a coupon though.

Frankly, I'm disappointed the only EX we've gotten for this line was the Mark 43. The lack of EXs prevents me from Day 1 POs, not to mention I just think its lazy on HT's part.

I wonder if they might add things after the movie is released. We might be walking out of the theatre in May going Ultron, Cap or some other figure should have come with ...... and maybe it will be added later like baby Groot. I think all HT has at this point is what the suits look like not any advanced info on things that might make a good EX.

Back