1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have him on my desk and he is really amazing.
20240921_085521.jpg

I remember reading in this thread somewhere that the DX27 or the MMS338 Vader bodies can be used as a swap on the too short ESB body. Is that true?
Depends on the helmet sculpt. I tried it myself but I seem to remember the R1 body with ESB head was an awkward fit. I think the attached peg from the ESB head was a bit too short for the MMS338 neck. For my ESB kit bash I ended up using the body, helmet, and shoulder armor from MMS338 with the ESB costume parts. Works for me.

Besides a little to big mouth triangle and a little to small noseplug this updated RoTJ sculpt is pretty much perfect, as good as if not better then the 1/4 scale figure. I was surprised today when taking a little time to recreating the lighting from scenes in episode 5 and 6 in a room how spot on this figure is, notably since they got the paint tone right this time it is like having Vader walk off the screen with the right lighting, it gets that uncanny realism effect their best headsculpts get when you look at them.

Out of the box this and dx28 clean mask both look really great but with the right lighting this figure jumps ahead and is imo their best Vader by quite a bit, and the Shaw sculpt is just the icing on the cake if the OT is your jam.

My 1/6 Vader madness

From L to R...Custom DX28, HT ANH (customized), MEDICOM V1, HT TESB (customized), HT ROTJ, KAIYODO/SS custom and SIDESHOW DELUXE

View attachment 726815
I've been wondering what you did with your kaiyodo Vader!
That's a great line-up.

Still don't think a single Vader release in 1/6 has nailed onscreen Vader yet. In Matrix's line up his Kaiyodo custom to me still seems closest to "nailed," even though the new HT ROTJ version is a nice bump in accuracy over the HT ESB.

Like Indiana Jones, it just may be that Vader will forever be on the list of characters that can only really get 98% to fully nailed with a ton of fan customizing love. If the stunning (but decade long) TooMuchGarlic custom Vader 3D sculpt project ever crosses the finish line then that may finally be the day that Vader is conquered in 1/6.
Agreed that no Vader has come to 100% yet.

I don't think that is impossible to obtain though. Some human sculpts are so difficult to capture it seems impossible to get right, but Vader is technically only painted sculpted pieces, the bodysuit and black fabric.

I'm currently on a mission to get my 1:4 HT to a 99%+ accuracy to ESB.

That's actually the TMG ANH Vader in the bottom left corner. I've been using it as reference for my 1:4. I just sold my custom HT ANH, and I'm planning on building my TMG ANH in 1.5 years or so.

Besides a little to big mouth triangle and a little to small noseplug this updated RoTJ sculpt is pretty much perfect, as good as if not better then the 1/4 scale figure. I was surprised today when taking a little time to recreating the lighting from scenes in episode 5 and 6 in a room how spot on this figure is, notably since they got the paint tone right this time it is like having Vader walk off the screen with the right lighting, it gets that uncanny realism effect their best headsculpts get when you look at them.
Those are exactly some of the elements I'm fixing on the 1:4.

Here's where I am so far, still a ways to go.

20240921_224301.jpg

Back