1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK finally going to try the helmet mod. Did people remove some of the stuff inside the dome? If so any pics? I'm just seeing what was done to the top of the head. Thanks

Satisfied.

Cut apart the sideshow bells to a more accurate shape so they don't have to inaccurately be tucked underneath the shoulder armor. Need to finish his dome. It's a WIP still, positioning needs to be perfected. Still needs his tusks too!

Perfectly happy with him besides those things. Maybe, just MAYBE the gunmetal should be darker but I think I hit the sweet spot with him now.

Also, just for scale sake, there is room to spare with the Sideshow headsculpt in the Kaiyodo. So scale is a non-issue.

4h9ykz.jpg

2i1kopi.jpg

14icr3t.jpg

Dome is still WIP. Started widening the top of the Sideshow dome, and cutting a big chunk of the skirt of the helmet.
30velw7.jpg

This picture also shows the paint quality. The plastic sideshow dome has zero depth compared to the paintjob I did on it. Ofcourse this paintjob is butchered by now but the difference is clear IMO.

Last edited:
So.. all in all:

Midsection swap with normal TT.
Reshaped his right saber hand I believe it was into a join me/power hand.
Used Kaiyodo helmet/shoulder armor.
Cut Sideshow shoulder bells to accurate shape.
Put the Sideshow lenses and headsculpt and tusks in the Kaiyodo.
Resculpted the kaiyodo's eyebrows and reshaped it's mouthpiece.
Working on the Sideshow Dome still.

20150108_224217 copy.jpg

I really like the profile shot at it stands.. I'm reluctant to take more off. Anyone else wanna chime in with opinions?

Last edited:
How about some photos that weren't taken from a spy satellite through a dirty window? ;) We need to see this guy up close and personal like.

At a glance, looking good so far. I think you know that the Shoulder Bells are still wrong/off. They look too small now...and the where actually under the shoulder armor quite a bit during ESB...and sometimes not. I think Sideshow's shape was based on how the looked under the armor...and the got the shape as a whole wrong. Who really knows?

Under:
968911_450552358370093_1672098926_n.jpg

screenESBVAder01 copy.jpg

Not Under:
davidprowsephoto2.jpg

Last edited:
At a glance, looking good so far. I think you know that the Shoulder Bells are still wrong/off. They look too small now...and the where actually under the shoulder armor quite a bit during ESB...and sometimes not. I think Sideshow's shape was based on how the looked under the armor...and the got the shape as a whole wrong. Who really knows?

Under:
View attachment 157186

View attachment 157188

Not Under:
View attachment 157187

Oh you're right. Oh well. I'll have to live with it as is I guess. Or use the Kaiyodo parts!

Last edited:
The Kaiyodo bells are completely wrong. I wouldn't recommend using those, but if you can sculpt extensions at the bottom of the Sideshow bells, you might make them look better. Basically sculpt the amount needed to reach down to the corner edge of the shoulder armor.

I'll get those photos taken of the face masks tomorrow, if the lighting is okay. Have been having a hard time focusing these days, so sorry for taking so long.

Boy, I'd love to get my hands on one of those kaiyodo masks. I've just started resculpting a SS ANH mask and Hasbro dome after seeing that HT wasn't going to do screen accurate.

Shoulder bells, shoulder bells
It's go time on the Death Star
ring- a- ling, laser beam
soon it will be judgement day

I have a Kaiyodo that I'll never finish. Tried to resculpt the center ridge of the chest armor to make it more accurate and attempted the hands on belt pose and cut up the arms for that, so had to make replacement arms out of resin.

Here's the first of the comparison pictures. The side pictures didn't turn out that great so I'll re-photograph those tomorrow.
Kaiyodo009.jpg

Regarding the bells. This may be of use, but doesn't really show how it scales with the chest armor, though.
fx3b.jpg

I have a Kaiyodo that I'll never finish. Tried to resculpt the center ridge of the chest armor to make it more accurate and attempted the hands on belt pose and cut up the arms for that, so had to make replacement arms out of resin.

Here's the first of the comparison pictures. The side pictures didn't turn out that great so I'll re-photograph those tomorrow.
View attachment 157402

Regarding the bells. This may be of use, but doesn't really show how it scales with the chest armor, though.
fx3b.jpg

Thanks for that, just finishing my custom Vader in the next few days.

View attachment 157402

fx3b.jpg

So basically if you add a little to the kaiyodo bells they WOULD actually work, it's just that they're not finished sort of. :O

I would definatly need a front and side comparison with the kaiyodo before I could consider resculpting those parts as well.

Have to repaint the headsculpt AGAIN because I ****ed up with the eyes and got glue on them, after this I tried to fix it and.. well.. let's just say I won't post pictures, the shame is too great. -____-'

Also, bald vader looks weird. :lol

No. The Kaiyodo bells are not accurate at all and I wouldn't use them. The sideshow ones looks like they can be fixed. Though... I've only seen them from the sides and not from the front to show the raised ridges and how they look. Those may hinder any sort of fix.

The bald Vader is a recreation of a plaster cast that was sold on eBay many years ago and may be a copy of the original sculpt. I just thought it looked cool, so decided to recreate it for a bust project I have planned.

Here's a picture of that plaster cast piece that was sold:
Vader - ANH - Face Sculpt - 003.jpg

So.. all in all:

Midsection swap with normal TT.
Reshaped his right saber hand I believe it was into a join me/power hand.
Used Kaiyodo helmet/shoulder armor.
Cut Sideshow shoulder bells to accurate shape.
Put the Sideshow lenses and headsculpt and tusks in the Kaiyodo.
Resculpted the kaiyodo's eyebrows and reshaped it's mouthpiece.
Working on the Sideshow Dome still.

View attachment 157174

I really like the profile shot at it stands.. I'm reluctant to take more off. Anyone else wanna chime in with opinions?

Crazy good work here. The amout of work and attention to detail is fantastic. These 2 shots look great. Nicely done.

As promised, some profile shots. Seems the Kaiyodo lower eyelid is protruding out a bit further than the accurate one, which makes the top facing cheek surface seem so narrow, even with the fix to the frontal face of the cheeks I'm suggesting. And maybe 2mm is too much to add and you definitely need to add more to the top than to the bottom of the cheek face, but definitely making them more vertical.

It was actually rather difficult making them line up exactly, as their center of gravity is different and they tilt easily.

Kaiyodo010.jpgKaiyodo011.jpg

Back