1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like the old applause Vader. A nice vinyl/plastic statue. If you're going to customize, though you're looking at a mego size figure.
Applause vinil statue! Right! It's too little! I know that :huh ,but it makes me sad that a plastic economic toys is more screen accurate than a £200 or more 1/6 collectibles!!

so hopefully you can get it to where you like it. hey it`s not going to be movie quality but if close is good enough I guess that`s where it has to be :)

Yes exactly. Vader is looking great so far, need to finetune a little bit and make sure he's as sharpy sculpted as possible but he's getting there! He will end up like Boba, not quite movie quality but pretty good all things considered!

xawg9v.jpg

Left side still needs some slight work, but the right cheek looks great imo (our right)

Great work eczamurai! :clap I've been really enjoying seeing your progress. Sorry if you have already answered this, but what are you using to sculpt? I'm using Aves Apoxie sculpt to overhaul a SS ANH helmet. It works great but the surfaces are really rough after it cures. How do you get yours so smooth looking?

Great work eczamurai! :clap I've been really enjoying seeing your progress. Sorry if you have already answered this, but what are you using to sculpt? I'm using Aves Apoxie sculpt to overhaul a SS ANH helmet. It works great but the surfaces are really rough after it cures. How do you get yours so smooth looking?

Water and using smooth gloves. Also brushes work.

And I use mili put superfine white. But I'm not familiar with other brands. This is just what I use lol. No specific reason
Thanks for the info! Your posts have inspired my work and helped my own custom a lot. :hi5:

View attachment 161407 Some fantastic work with all the vader mods. Here's my sideshow and kaiyodo bash.
That is gorgeous! What mods have you done on the face mask? I've gotta get my hands on one.

The only Kaiyodo Vaders I ever see on Ebay are those Revoltech super-poseable action figures. That can't be what people are using, can it? Is there some older rare figure people are using, that I can never find?

Thanks for kind feedback. The kaiyodo kit really is beautifully made and more accurate than any of the 1/6 offerings we've seen so far. The only mods i made to the mask was to cut the back out and replace it with the sideshow reveal head. Also replaced tusks with sideshows. A good paint job really brings out the great sculpt of the mask.View attachment 161418 Body is bash of both sideshow vaders shortened to stand just under 13.5 tall

Thanks for kind feedback. The kaiyodo kit really is beautifully made and more accurate than any of the 1/6 offerings we've seen so far. The only mods i made to the mask was to cut the back out and replace it with the sideshow reveal head. Also replaced tusks with sideshows. A good paint job really brings out the great sculpt of the mask.View attachment 161418 Body is bash of both sideshow vaders shortened to stand just under 13.5 tall

That really does look good! Mine is coming along well, what is an easy mod to suggest is taking the sculpt and reshaping the mouth grill the proper way. It's crooked the wrong way. This would mean you had to heat it up thought might ruin your paint might not be worth it.

But it would look accurate. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=155820&d=1420215116.jpg

This picture shows what I mean, I reshaped my Vader's mouth the other way around. With his left tusk lower than his right instead of the other way around.

Last edited:
here's what I resculpted so far:

eyebrows, lower eyelids, his nose with the currect curve to it. reshaped the mouthgrill, resculpted the cheeks. remodeled the small bits between his eyes to be more accurate.

15gawwi.jpg

This is my $25 custom Vader, still a WIP. This is all Hasbro except the Sideshow gloves and codpiece.

The $25 was for those couple of SSC pieces in addition to the Hasbro figure bought back in the day on clearance. I almost donated the figure, but as a customizing exercise I thought I'd see what I could do to make a "background" Vader. Obviously pretty much everything was a long-ways off sculpt-wise (except dome) with undersize rubbery chest box and awful face-mask that needed a ton of dremeling, gluing and fudging just to make it look like Vader.

It is just under 13.5" tall, so at least is in scale. It's for background in my imperials display - NOT for closer inspection. I have a bunch of custom figs I'll be putting up pics of in the next week (mostly imperials.)

Still need to lengthen the arms slightly, polish/gloss all the black armor parts and make a cape collar (I made a chain.) Anyway, I know this isn't technically a custom SSC Vader, but thought I'd post it here (before I post on my custom page) because there's a lot of Vader experts and talented customizers and I thought it might be interesting as a curiosity.

hasbro%20vader%20reboot-XL.png

Some fantastic work with all the vader mods. Here's my sideshow and kaiyodo bash.

Stunning work, one of the best 1/6 Vaders I've ever seen. It easily passes the "man in a suit" test (i.e. looks like a pic of a full size Vader.) Amazing work.:clap

This is my $25 custom Vader, still a WIP. This is all Hasbro except the Sideshow gloves and codpiece.

The $25 was for those couple of SSC pieces in addition to the Hasbro figure bought back in the day on clearance. I almost donated the figure, but as a customizing exercise I thought I'd see what I could do to make a "background" Vader. Obviously pretty much everything was a long-ways off sculpt-wise (except dome) with undersize rubbery chest box and awful face-mask that needed a ton of dremeling, gluing and fudging just to make it look like Vader.

It is just under 13.5" tall, so at least is in scale. It's for background in my imperials display - NOT for closer inspection. I have a bunch of custom figs I'll be putting up pics of in the next week (mostly imperials.)

Still need to lengthen the arms slightly, polish/gloss all the black armor parts and make a cape collar (I made a chain.) Anyway, I know this isn't technically a custom SSC Vader, but thought I'd post it here (before I post on my custom page) because there's a lot of Vader experts and talented customizers and I thought it might be interesting as a curiosity.

hasbro%20vader%20reboot-XL.png

Hard to believe that's the hasbro mask! Looks 100% better!

Looks very nice. The Kaiyodo mask makes the Sideshow dome look better.

Back