1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2hmhmp3.jpg

WIP. really happy with how he's turning out.

I like this pic.

2lm2ps9.jpg

Show's off the resculpt nicely. The part between his eyes isn't quite there but it's good enough for me, should be narrower. It's been a long journey but it's been worth it. Almost ready for the final gloss coat. After I paint the gold details on his head. :)

20150211_232620.jpg

Finished the paintjob. I will now search for the best gloss coat that can take some handling when posing. The molotov I used didn't end up liking my fingertips ( it was thoroughly dry) I guess it's not that ideal for action figures.. :(

How is the testors gloss coat? Is it glossy enough? Their dullcoat is awesome. I just want the best one available that's not risky to use!

View attachment 165645

Finished the paintjob. I will now search for the best gloss coat that can take some handling when posing. The molotov I used didn't end up liking my fingertips ( it was thoroughly dry) I guess it's not that ideal for action figures.. :(

How is the testors gloss coat? Is it glossy enough? Their dullcoat is awesome. I just want the best one available that's not risky to use!

Very well done,that's looking fantastic:clap

Testors gloss is perfect for the ESB/RotJ Vader look. I used that when originally painting my Kaiyodo helmet way back then and it turned out great and handled well. However, it may react to paint from another brand, which is why you should never mix and match various brands when painting.

Testors gloss is perfect for the ESB/RotJ Vader look. I used that when originally painting my Kaiyodo helmet way back then and it turned out great and handled well. However, it may react to paint from another brand, which is why you should never mix and match various brands when painting.

The dullcoat works fine with this brand. I assume the gloss would too?

Okay. But I would suggest you test the combination on something unimportant first. It would just be a damn shame it it reacted to the other brand paint.

Another tip is to mist a few layers of gloss coat first before applying a wet coat. Though, if you are brush painting it on, then I guess thin layers before doing a full covering thick layer.

Okay. But I would suggest you test the combination on something unimportant first. It would just be a damn shame it it reacted to the other brand paint.

Another tip is to mist a few layers of gloss coat first before applying a wet coat. Though, if you are brush painting it on, then I guess thin layers before doing a full covering thick layer.

What does a wet coat mean? :)

Well, it's basically a fully covering coat, compared to a dry coat which is basically just misting it on thinly. At least I think that's correct.

I know, but do I need the one called Testor's glosscote or the one called testor's high gloss? Considering the paint is acrylic and the model is vinyl, there might a difference?

High gloss sounds more appealing but I have no idea if it actually is glossier and more suited for Vader.

Last edited:
Back