1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used clear gloss brushed on in thin coats,works well for me and gives great results. Tweaked my vader a little,sanded down the shoulder bells to get something more close to accurate. Also added the chain from ANH vader to the DX cape,works pretty good. Tweaked the gloves a little too and sanded a little more off the back of the helmet flare. All bells and whistles at the end of the day,but it's fun just going back over it and make little improvementsView attachment 165819View attachment 165820View attachment 165821View attachment 165822

So, I found the testors, they're called model masters in Europe apparently. :D

Now to chose between the one called ultra gloss and the glosscote...

Ultra gloss SOUNDS better.............. I asked the store which one they recommend. Still waiting for a reply.

I wouldn't use super gloss. Contrary to what people think the armor parts were never a high gloss shine, but rather crude buffed gloss - you can get this result by using regular clear gloss coat.

Definitely a nice Vader.

I'm just going to put a photo of one of these Vaders on my shelf wrapped around a bottle. Of tequila, so I can take a shot before really looking at it closely.

Star-Wars-Episode-VI-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Darth-Vader-darth-vader-18356167-1050-656.jpg

Looks high gloss to me. Vader is so weird, he looks different in every movie, and even then he looks different scene to scene.

Outstanding! :clap It really incredible the difference just the mask alone makes. :) One of the big things other than the mask that is a big sell for me on the Kaiyodo kit is the shin guards and the boots. They are MASSIVE on the Sideshow Vaders and if you want to down size him they look ridiculous.

That Sideshow mask is just awful. I've been working on my ANH Vader, and even that mask is a lot better.

Yeah Although from a certain angle it can look ok. But straight on? Horrendous. The ANH mask is definitely better for me as well.

2hmhmp3.jpg

WIP. really happy with how he's turning out.

It's always a pleasure seeing a new project from you, eczamurai. :)

I'm a girl and really don't get this....

Everyone else has done amazing mods, so instead of taking the time and expending the effort in doing it all over for myself, I can just put up a photo of one of the great examples in my cabinet. To give it some dimension I'd wrap it around a bottle. To make it more convincing as a figure, rather than the photo it is, that bottle would be filled with alcohol that I can take a shot from to cloud my judgement.

It just doesn't have the same levity when it's all spelled out.

Looks high gloss to me.

They had someone adding and removing white and grey highlights on all the parts scene to scene. ;)

Vader is so weird, he looks different in every movie, and even then he looks different scene to scene.

Imagine the hilarity behind the scenes when the prop guys talked about someone making collectibles based on their work. :)

Outstanding! :clap It really incredible the difference just the mask alone makes. :) One of the big things other than the mask that is a big sell for me on the Kaiyodo kit is the shin guards and the boots. They are MASSIVE on the Sideshow Vaders and if you want to down size him they look ridiculous.

Yeah Although from a certain angle it can look ok. But straight on? Horrendous. The ANH mask is definitely better for me as well.

It's always a pleasure seeing a new project from you, eczamurai. :)

Absolutely,i had vader down around the correct height before i got the kaiyodo kit,but it still looked awful. There's no hiding those horrible boots etc. SS just can't get it right scale wise in that department. I still think their tusken raider is the best SW piece they've done.

I still think their tusken raider is the best SW piece they've done.

Did you do a body swap? The arms on the original are comically short. I'm so tempted to swap the body on mine, but equally tempted just to use a different less revealing pose.

Back