*BEWARE SPOILERS* Deadpool & Wolverine (July 26th, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a gambit movie by itself outside of x men doesn't make much sense ( they wouldn't even do a black widow movie for the longest time)

its not connected to anything, not part of the MCU. it would be its own thing.
but it could just be a sequel to Deadpool wolverine itself. connect it to Loki or something

a gambit movie by itself outside of x men doesn't make much sense ( they wouldn't even do a black widow movie for the longest time)

its not connected to anything, not part of the MCU. it would be its own thing.
but it could just be a sequel to Deadpool wolverine itself. connect it to Loki or something
I see no problem with that. The Batman isn’t connected to the old DCEU or the new DCU. Neither is Joker.

I think we could benefit from more standalone projects not connected to the MCU like X-Men 97.

The original Gambit movie wasn’t set to be a huge $200 million budget blockbuster either, Tatum wanted it to be smaller in scale and more personal.

He's very good in the Magic Mike movies, especially the third film. He's also very good in A Guide to Recognising Your Saints with RDJ.

When he has the right material, he can do good drama. But he's fantastic in comedies. Especially the Jump Street movies.
Tatum isn't for me. I dislike those Jump Street movies. Never understood why they were comedies; along with Chips, Starsky & Hutch, etc. He's never been in any movie I've liked with the exception of Hateful 8 and I didn't like him in that.

Can’t be getting that stale. This movie has basically taken over the internet for 3 weeks
In three months? Three years? Thirty? These products have no lasting impact. It's fine. It's the Return of the Jedi in the enormously popular DP franchise...

I remember in 1978 someone telling me that Superman the movie type fluff would have no lasting impact.

46 years later a superhero movie is a massive success.

MCU alone has 34 movies.

No lasting impact?

I have enjoyed them all, to varying degrees. Don't get me wrong. I'm just not sure any of these comic book movies will stand the test of time.

DP and Wolverine feels a little less than sum of it's parts. Enjoyable, yes.

I think, despite the box office (the bottom line), Mr. Pool's gimmick is getting a little stale. Leave on a high-ish note.

But, money talks.

Dark Side/Light Side perspectives.

For example, on The Big Bang Theory, we get to see the funny side of Sheldon or the quirky things when dealing with his real life while being on the spectrum. You can play it for laughs and fan service. But there is always the inherent risk going to the part of it where lots of people with Aspergers truly suffer. I mean really suffer and struggle.

Deadpool is clearly mentally ill on multiple levels. He's OK in limited doses that covers the funny side. But there's a line where no one in the casual audience wants to go too far into the dark side of his pathology. The more Deadpool we get, the more saturation that happens potentially with his character, the more the conditions are set to risk losing the casual movie going audience.

Real Life 101 - No one really wants to talk about crazy. Ever. It makes people uncomfortable to be around. That's at least one thing I can say about D&W that rang true in the subtext with his "friends" Once people look at you a certain way ( the way they looked Wade quietly) , that you are irrevocably broken, they will never ever see you the same way again.

Last edited:
In three months? Three years? Thirty? These products have no lasting impact. It's fine. It's the Return of the Jedi in the enormously popular DP franchise...
Wait…are you saying that ROTJ hasn’t had a lasting impact?

I see no problem with that. The Batman isn’t connected to the old DCEU or the new DCU. Neither is Joker.

I think we could benefit from more standalone projects not connected to the MCU like X-Men 97.

The original Gambit movie wasn’t set to be a huge $200 million budget blockbuster either, Tatum wanted it to be smaller in scale and more personal.
but this is Disney's marvel and everything has to be connected

Wait…are you saying that ROTJ hasn’t had

Wait…are you saying that ROTJ hasn’t had a lasting impact?
No, I actually appreciate that film moreso now. The comparison I'm making is that movie franchises that reach the point of success whereupon they seem to be designed to sell products rather than tell cohesive, impactful narratives. I'm not just referring to Deadpool and Wolverine, mind you rather the state of tentpole movies as a whole now. I personally feel that in time, many of these hugely successful movies won't stand the test of time.

Any time I hear, "shut your brain off and just enjoy it" or something like that, it drives me nuts. So being stupid and finding pleasure in mindlessness is fun?

There are moments in DP3 that I enjoyed. Logan's monologue at the campfire, Wade's break up with Vanessa, Logan's "I've got nothin'..." line towards the end. Those moments were impactful.

And then you get claws to the crotch. Seemingly endlessly.

Look I get it. This isn't meant to be serious cinema. It should be, and sometimes is entertaining, even a distraction from painful reality. But it doesn't have to be mindless. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
No, I actually appreciate that film moreso now. The comparison I'm making is that movie franchises that reach the point of success whereupon they seem to be designed to sell products rather than tell cohesive, impactful narratives. I'm not just referring to Deadpool and Wolverine, mind you rather the state of tentpole movies as a whole now. I personally feel that in time, many of these hugely successful movies won't stand the test of time.

Any time I hear, "shut your brain off and just enjoy it" or something like that, it drives me nuts. So being stupid and finding pleasure in mindlessness is fun?

There are moments in DP3 that I enjoyed. Logan's monologue at the campfire, Wade's break up with Vanessa, Logan's "I've got nothin'..." line towards the end. Those moments were impactful.

Look I get it. This isn't meant to be serious cinema. It should be, and sometimes is entertaining, even a distraction from painful reality. But it doesn't have to be mindless. Does that make sense?
i know this is Deadpools movie and I know he's the focus and he's Ryan's baby.

but Deadpool ruined so many scene with so many awful jokes. so many annoying lines. so many flirting stuff

wolverine was completely correct in the car. not even the x men would take him and they take everyone.
people love the movie but you couldn't last one day with him in real life

Dark Side/Light Side perspectives.

For example, on The Big Bang Theory, we get to see the funny side of Sheldon or the quirky things when dealing with his real life while being on the spectrum. You can play it for laughs and fan service. But there is always the inherent risk going to the part of it where lots of people with Aspergers truly suffer. I mean really suffer and struggle.

Deadpool is clearly mentally ill on multiple levels. He's OK in limited doses that covers the funny side. But there's a line where no one in the casual audience wants to go too far into the dark side of his pathology. The more Deadpool we get, the more saturation that happens potentially with his character, the more the conditions are set to risk losing the casual movie going audience.

Real Life 101 - No one really wants to talk about crazy. Ever. It makes people uncomfortable to be around. That's at least one thing I can say about D&W that rang true in the subtext with his "friends" Once people look at you a certain way ( the way they looked Wade quietly) , that you are irrevocably broken, they will never ever see you the same way again.

Well said. "Irrevocably broken". That rings true. When they take this sort of thing seriously, it can truly strike a chord. Just examine the nature of Jackman's performance in "Logan", and even glimpses of it here. The character is haunted. Personally, that's the parts I enjoy. That's the "product" I would prefer to "consume"...

but Deadpool ruined so many scene with so many awful jokes. so many annoying lines.

Deadpool 1 had the advantage of catching people by complete surprise. Also his "humor" is laced with a lot of unpleasant truth to it. It helped to assess Wade as creative and even intelligent, but again horribly broken and shades of possible mental illness were not hard to see upfront.

D&W , the dialogue shifted away from a more intelligent witty kind of Deadpool to just one trying to create a narrative counterbalance between Logan and Wade. They don't like each other, but they need each other. At best, they can settle for respecting each other. Since Logan is typically stoic, the only thing Ryan Reynolds could conceive of was just pure bombardment.

Deadpool 1 gave Wade a complete arc. So there was very little room left to take the character. I'll give Reynolds credit in that he tried hard to not make the character go backwards and he recognized that this needed to be a Hugh Jackman tribute film instead of a Deadpool film. This latest installment badly missed TJ Miller. Whatever people think of him off the camera, he brought a different realistic kind of voice to Wade in the first two films.

Ryan Reynolds does not have a particularly great level of range as an actor. Wade desires to mean well, but he's lazy and mentally ill, but the end result is he's generally always a terrible person based on his actions. That's a pretty difficult kind of character to pull off. Reynolds is better off writing for Deadpool to improvise on an individual level, but the larger scope stuff is probably best handled by other more skilled writers. Reynold's general narrative instincts are actually pretty good, but his level of execution is lacking quite a bit.

Breaching the industry "A List" is extremely hard. But staying there for any amount of time is insanely difficult. Those who do usually have the core building blocks of a good industry writer within them. You can find a lot of people who can read a script and explain why it's a non viable/non marketable/bad script. But what's more rare is someone who can salvage that kind of script into something functional. Reynolds is sort of showing his potential there in that regard. I enjoyed D&W, but I can see multiple fracture points where it could have really sank. But it didn't.

I assure you, Reynolds in private hates the Deadpool typecast way more that you and others might.

I think the Deadpool IP should never take itself seriously. It’s baked into the character since he constantly breaks the fourth wall.

I would never put it up against the OG Trilogy in terms of lasting impact but I’m happy with the results since IMO it’s being true and respectful to the source material.

Back