Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The movie isn't doing huge business here..dropped to #3 in second weekend? It may struggle to top $200 million or so domestically. We'll see.
Maybe Nolan will announce superhero movie as his next project :lol

200 million is 40 million more then I think it took to make it, add in the international box office, I'd say it's a financial success.

Go to see this yesterday and really liked it a lot.
Plenty of very emotional moments and the score and cinematography were brilliant. I had no problem with the acting or story in general.

Going to catch it again this weekend at IMAX before it leaves the theatre. It's a shame that people don't like it. Loved everything about this and after reading up on the some of the science which I didn't understand, it made me appreciate the movie even more.

Looks like a comicbook is coming!

Before Cooper left his daughter to find humanity a new home in space, there were the Lazarus missions. Led by Dr. Mann, this was NASA’s first attempt to locate a hospitable exoplanet. So what happened to Mann on the other side of the wormhole? We teamed Christopher Nolan with award-winning comic-book artist Sean Gordon Murphy to tell Mann’s story.

Revealed: The Lost Chapter of Interstellar | WIRED

Huh from all the story worth telling, edmunds for exemple, they choose the one where we know what has happened to the character... Nice...

There was a time before Nolan really hit it big that you would have been a hipster to like him. Now it's swung around the other way. It's gas.
I agree, but I think both the term hipster and fanboy are often just copouts out of having to give a real counterargument. Not saying the terms aren't real or what they designate aren't real, but they're overused.
Nah. It's trendy lately to bash everything Nolan does. If you like his movies than you're considered a 'Nolanite.' :lol
There definitely is a backlash going on that the man doesn't deserve imo. I'm a nolan fan, have massive issues with tdkr and was floored by just how underwhelming, sloppy and cliche interstellar was. But nevertheless, imo Nolan's overall someone with a brilliant oeuvre who now just gets a lot of nolan haters crawling out the woodwork now the Nolan-Batman fan gestapo is losing steam. It's all a bunch of nuance-lacking nonsense responses. Being critical doesn't make you a hipster, loving something doesn't make you a fanboy. A lack of nuance makes you either of those too.
Trendy? That's retarded. He made a very bad movie followed by a mediocre one. Given his previous track record, it's something he brought on himself. We have expectations now. Especially if he's going to continue to be snide and stuck up and say things like "real movies don't have after-credits scenes" etc.

All directors lose it eventually. Happened to Spielberg, Lucas, and Tarantino acknowledges it will happen to him which is why he may quit after Hateful Eight. Hopefully Nolan is just in a slump right now.

I don't excuse him, but I at least understand why TDKR sucked. He didn't want to do it. Supposedly so many Imax cameras and the inability to reshoot scenes or do multiple takes played a part. With this one, it was just a bit of a miss/rehash.

I don't really post in the movethreads anymore but I was curious how the response to Interstellar was.

I kinda agree Deckard, although less harshly, but I kinda feel Nolan wanted genuinely to finnish Bruce Wayne's story, but he had no inspiration left to make it a good Batman story. TDKR is not a Batman film, it's a bruce wayne film who puts on the suit one last time. And yeah the technical issues with TDKR, but also Interstellar, are really really saddening.

I feel like Nolan's simply taking too much on his plate. TDKR and Interstellar have so many cliche plot points (and TDKR at least had a better reason for them given the setup of the previous two films), I feel like Nolan's ambition with plot is highly mismatching his ambition technically, and that's starting to show. He seems to confuse simplicity with being cliche. You can have a very simple story and yet make it at least seem less cliche.

But the twists in TDKR and Interstellar are largely abysmal. And if a movie doesn't RELY on twists than that's okay, but Interstellar still relies on twists too much, it's like he's addicted to them. Nolan's starting to become gimmicky with them, and that makes the film imo genuinely Nolan's weakest since Following in all regards but production design. (Yeah Deckard I think the first act of TDKR and the general ambition to give Bruce Wayne an 'ending' makes up for more than just the ambition in interstellar to display a bunch of space physics. So yeah adding up all aspects TDKR is better than Interstellar imo.)

Have any of you read or or heard a summary of Jonah Nolan's original script for Spielberg? It was WAY bigger, but despite the sloppiness Jonah can have (which, as someone who's seen all of person of interest, becomes easy to recognise), I think that film would've been way better than what we got now. It was less human-centric, and it was less of a
Spoiler Spoiler:

It was also way less america-centric, something that, I'm sorry, bothered me as a european in Interstellar. In Jonah's script more nationalities are involved, though mostly the chinese.

The twists in his script were a lot more based on expansion of the world building. What Nolan simplified it down to feels like a space version of
Spoiler Spoiler:

Loved the movie. Seen it three times in true 15/70 IMAX. 10/10 in my book.

200 million is 40 million more then I think it took to make it, add in the international box office, I'd say it's a financial success.

At this point I think they're already calling it 'not a flop' due to its international performance. Not sure it can hit 200 in the US though.

It needs to make way more than its production costs to make proper profit. They probably spent another 100million on marketing. Looks at the Amazing Spider-Man 2 figures to get an idea of what is considered a flop.

Most critics I know keep to a 2 to 2,5 multiplier of production costs to reach the black when it concerns the top blockbuster budgets.

i think Interstellar is the greatest film of all time. i never thought a film could be better than 2001: A Space Odyssey.
hopefully someone will make a 1/6 Cooper in his space suit. it's definitely my most wanted figure now.

i think Interstellar is the greatest film of all time. i never thought a film could be better than 2001: A Space Odyssey.
hopefully someone will make a 1/6 Cooper in his space suit. it's definitely my most wanted figure now.

Bubbles-Disgusted.gif

tumblr_mns2ziaFwV1rs4x0jo1_500.gif

Back