Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally saw this movie. Absolutely loved it. What an amazing experience. I hope Nolan doesn't get put off by all these hipsters bashing on this film. We need more movies like this and I hope he doesn't stop. Can't wait to watch it again next week.

Have to agree, his movies have to be perfect or else they suck, but if you say one of his movies are perfect, then you’re a Nolanite.

Last edited:
No movies are perfect, Nolan flicks either.
People have the right to like them, they do have big qualities.
Now they also have flaws. Like any movies.
But what makes you a Nolanite is that you can come up with great excuses for lazy ideas and poor writing.
Seriously paying taxes, no armies, less food but going to baseball matches and no anarchy?
Ranger ship that zoom out like xwings on heavy gravity planets but need thruster to lift off from earth?
I'm fine with these as long people don't force THESE MOVIES ARE INTELLIGENT down my throat.

Nah. It's trendy lately to bash everything Nolan does. If you like his movies than you're considered a 'Nolanite.' :lol

It got nothing to do with trend.
His movies are less and less interesting.
Personally since Inception, I think that Nolan has lost "it".
DKR was the cherry on top, it was as dumb as any super blockbuster of that type.
Now he does ambitious movies, with cool concepts but the way they are wrote, directed are not better than what's out there.
they are entertaining flicks and I will keep going to see them but if people could stop trying to sell him as the next Kubrick, it that he makes intelligent flicks that would be great. Would that have been Anybody else who used that crazy astronaut trope people would be laughing at him when you defend stupid lazy ideas and poor writing like these that's when you could be called a Nolanite.

Last edited:
Just watched it again, you know if you go into the theatre expecting an epic Twilight Zone episode it's more enjoyable. There are a couple of stinker parts and performances that really pull it down. But a lot of it is just fantastic. That conference room wall though! I was looking out for it this time, it's just silly.

Trendy? That's retarded. He made a very bad movie followed by a mediocre one. Given his previous track record, it's something he brought on himself. We have expectations now. Especially if he's going to continue to be snide and stuck up and say things like "real movies don't have after-credits scenes" etc.

All directors lose it eventually. Happened to Spielberg, Lucas, and Tarantino acknowledges it will happen to him which is why he may quit after Hateful Eight. Hopefully Nolan is just in a slump right now.

I don't excuse him, but I at least understand why TDKR sucked. He didn't want to do it. Supposedly so many Imax cameras and the inability to reshoot scenes or do multiple takes played a part. With this one, it was just a bit of a miss/rehash.

Trendy? That's retarded. He made a very bad movie followed by a mediocre one. Given his previous track record, it's something he brought on himself. We have expectations now. Especially if he's going to continue to be snide and stuck up and say things like "real movies don't have after-credits scenes" etc.

All directors lose it eventually. Happened to Spielberg, Lucas, and Tarantino acknowledges it will happen to him which is why he may quit after Hateful Eight. Hopefully Nolan is just in a slump right now.

Ridley Scott aswell perhaps....

He's on the cusp. His director's cuts are still pretty good(just a little long for most). But if he ruins Blade Runner, he's done for.

I still enjoy Spielberg's films actually though he is perhaps done making 'classics'

That's a good way to describe Scott as well.

Untitled Blade Runner Project
2014 Exodus: Gods and Kings
2013 The Counselor
2012 Prometheus
2010 Robin Hood
2008 Body of Lies
2007 American Gangster
2006 A Good Year
2005 Kingdom of Heaven
2003 Matchstick Men
2001 Black Hawk Down
2001 Hannibal
2000 Gladiator

Not awful movies, aside from The Counselor. But no classics since BHD/Gladiator.

2013 The Counselor
2012 Prometheus
2010 Robin Hood
2008 Body of Lies
2007 American Gangster
2006 A Good Year
2005 Kingdom of Heaven
2003 Matchstick Men
2001 Black Hawk Down
2001 Hannibal
2000 Gladiator

Not awful movies, aside from The Counselor. But no classics since BHD/Gladiator.

I've seen most of that list, but the only ones I loved were the two you mentioned.

2013 The Counselor
2012 Prometheus
2010 Robin Hood
2008 Body of Lies
2007 American Gangster
2006 A Good Year
2005 Kingdom of Heaven
2003 Matchstick Men
2001 Black Hawk Down
2001 Hannibal
2000 Gladiator

Agreed. BHD and Gladiator were the last films of his that blew me away. Mind you, I haven't seen all of those listed...

The thing that gets me is how Nolan is defending the sound mix problems and claims that that is how they're intended. He did the same thing with TDKR and before that when there were legitimate criticisms about the prologue voices. I think at one point he even said "you don't have to understand what the villain is saying, that's an artistic choice".

I'm sorry, if your soundtrack is blaring over hard to hear dialogue, you have a problem. I remember when I saw the rerelease of the Dark Knight when it came back to IMAX December 2008 you couldn't even hear Gordon's dialogue at the end because Zimmer's a Dark Knight score was destroying it being cranked to 11. Sound problems are legitimate issues that shouldn't be taken lightly. I don't remember Lucas or Cameron having those problems with their movies.

Ridley Scott is on the cusp of losing it?

Almost everything his name has been attached to in the past few years has turned out to be absolute crap.

Nolan hasn't made a bad film yet, while I think Insomnia was mediocre and Inception was a little bit better than okay he's nowhere near being past his prime. Let's wait for him to actually make a stinker, something on the level of The Counselor, before we start saying the guy is slipping.

Prometheus and Robin Hood weren't crap. They weren't great but they aren't crap like The Counselor.

The Dark Knight Rises was an absolute turd. Regardless of how you personally view the script, the technical issues are everywhere. Continuity, poor acting, mixing problems. That's got nothing to do with a poorly received script or story that isn't appealing. That's bad directing.

Back