General NBA Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure isn't boring as a Warriors fan. They play at a level that is a joy to behold. They may fall apart at some point, but they are just so damn good right now. I was watching the Kings vs Pellys tonight, and it looks like both of those teams are college teams compared to the Dubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

can't be a good sign when the GSW lose to a "college" team then :dunno

Sure isn't boring as a Warriors fan. They play at a level that is a joy to behold. They may fall apart at some point, but they are just so damn good right now. I was watching the Kings vs Pellys tonight, and it looks like both of those teams are college teams compared to the Dubs.

Being a fan of the game, I prefer competition even while routing for my favorite team. Knowing it's a strong possibility it'll be Cavs v Warriors again for the championship makes the regular season meaningless and boring. The only drama is outside the game like Oakley, Barkley, Jackson, Melo, Lebron, Cupcake etc....the only interesting thing in the game is Westbrook but that doesn't keep my attention for too long.

Being a fan of the game, I prefer competition even while routing for my favorite team. Knowing it's a strong possibility it'll be Cavs v Warriors again for the championship makes the regular season meaningless and boring. The only drama is outside the game like Oakley, Barkley, Jackson, Melo, Lebron, Cupcake etc....the only interesting thing in the game is Westbrook but that doesn't keep my attention for too long.

My sentiments exactly. It's just boring if you only have two good teams in a league. I agree with Stephen A Smith in that these super teams are killing basketball. I'm sure, rooting for teams like UAlabama, Golden State, even Pats, can be comforting as your team typically wins. But as a fan of the sports, team loading is so frustrating in that the overall competition is lacking. Baseball and football have better competition levels right now.

I'm not sure how old you guys are...but how did you feel during the MJ era? When the Bulls were going for 3-peats. Or even the Kobe/Shaq Lakers?

I love being able to see a team perform at the highest level. To raise the level of the game. To see something historically good. Even if you're not a fan of the team, it's awesome to see something like the MJ Bulls steamrolling. And this is coming from a guy who hoped the Bulls lost.

Plenty old enough to remember the Jordan / Pippen and Shaq / Kobe but there was a bit more balance in the league. Jordan had to go thru Pistons, Celtics and Knicks while west was more open Blazers, Lakers, Jazz, Sonics whatnot all faced the Bulls. The same with the Lakers run it wasn't a "given" those teams would make it each year. They fought for seeding and had conference playoff games that were competitive and no series forgone conclusion who the winner would be. While I get nothing is "given" and Cavs and Warriors can loose in playoffs it's less likely because their the two most loaded teams in the league.

I root for Cavs simply because their an Ohio team so I understand the dispair of a team sucking for a long period of time. Now their good so awesome but doesn't make the games anymore enjoyable. I don't find these super teams making history....they can load up on all the talent in the league, win a record nbr of games and rings but imo their tainted because how they arrived to those nbrs. That is me tho....

Plenty old enough to remember the Jordan / Pippen and Shaq / Kobe but there was a bit more balance in the league. Jordan had to go thru Pistons, Celtics and Knicks while west was more open Blazers, Lakers, Jazz, Sonics whatnot all faced the Bulls. The same with the Lakers run it wasn't a "given" those teams would make it each year. They fought for seeding and had conference playoff games that were competitive and no series forgone conclusion who the winner would be. While I get nothing is "given" and Cavs and Warriors can loose in playoffs it's less likely because their the two most loaded teams in the league.

I root for Cavs simply because their an Ohio team so I understand the dispair of a team sucking for a long period of time. Now their good so awesome but doesn't make the games anymore enjoyable. I don't find these super teams making history....they can load up on all the talent in the league, win a record nbr of games and rings but imo their tainted because how they arrived to those nbrs. That is me tho....

The Warriors have to go through the Spurs, Clips, Cavs, etc too. I don't see how this is any different when you look at a team like the 1991 Bulls.

As for super teams and whatnot, let's look at the Warriors. Where did the get Steph? Draft. Klay? Draft. Draymond? Draft. So the only big piece they got as an acquisition was KD. Five years ago the Warriors sucked, and they drafted well (and were lucky).

If we go back to almost any great team there were big acquisitions. Bulls didn't draft Pippen. Bulls didn't draft Rodman.

Lakers didn't draft Kobe, Shaq, Gasol, etc.

So I don't see why people think the Warriors were made in a laboratory or something. The drafted well, have a great front office, have a great coaching staff, etc. The biggest thing that turned the Warriors into a winner was new ownership, period.

Not buying it grim. They did raft well with those three players. But they banked other good players who took less money to be there (much like Miami heat did). It's just not fun when there's almost givens in the league. I honestly don't think there's anything you can say or provide that would change that sentiment.

Luck is always involved with good teams.

Yes, they drafted well, but they also lucked out with their picks...after all, in the same draft, the Warriors drafted BOTH Harrison Barnes (at 7)and Festus Ezeli (at 30) before Draymond Green (at 35). It's not like they were 100% certain that Draymond would turn out to be the player he is.

The Bulls didn't draft Pippen, BUT he was obtained in a draft day trade...which it can be argued is the same as drafting the player. They also drafted Toni Kukoc, who was a key to their success as well.

Also, one underrated reason that contributed to their success is Steph Curry's injured ankles. Sounds crazy, but remember, five years back it wasn't certain he could stay on the court for an extended period of time. As a result, he signed a reasonable contract paying him $12 million a year, which allowed them to the cap space to afford Durant.

GS lost last night to the Nuggets last night, their ninth loss in 55 games. They didn't record their ninth loss until the 72nd or 73rd game last season, IIRC.

NBA is still fun to follow for me, but until the playoffs roll around, and unless there's a blockbuster trade, the regular season is a warm up. I have no doubt GS will be in it at the end.

One random thought: I don't know the cap situation, or even if trade pieces are available, but the Orlando Magic is looking to move Serge Ibaka. The Cavs could use another athletic big who can protect the rim and shoot as well.

Not buying it grim. They did raft well with those three players. But they banked other good players who took less money to be there (much like Miami heat did). It's just not fun when there's almost givens in the league. I honestly don't think there's anything you can say or provide that would change that sentiment.

I don't see how it is any different. Players took pay cuts to make room for more talent on other contenders (Duncan, Wade, etc). What other players did the Warriors get super cheap? Zaza? I guess you could say David West, but he's a shell of himself this year. Do you think it is Zaza or West that makes them a "Super Team"?

Iggy is getting $12M a year, Livingston is getting $6M a year (mid level exemption I believe), the rest of the team are youngsters or unwanted players like Javale McGee (who's career seemed over before this season).

Yes, you can look at Steph's small contract as being a blessing, but I only see one really big addition, and that's KD. All the other key players were drafted or picked up way before anyone even thought the Warriors were even a contender. Other than KD, I don't see any major additions to the Warriors that made them into a "super team".

Glad your a loyal fan to your team but most would admit not the same NBA. Comparing Spurs, Clips or anyone Cavs face to 76ers, Celtics, Pistons that the Bulls went thru is a joke.

The league had more parity than the current era...these "super teams" face no real competition in the regular season little in the playoffs until the finals then it's hit n miss. Warriors are a good team but I'd be more impressed with their streak if a few other teams out west had legendary players they had to go thru. Paul, Westbrook, Aldridge, Hardin etc.....good players but not great or legends of the game. Dirk, Kobe and Duncan all in their twilight years... Cavs have the same issue.

Jordan went thru Bird, Barkley, Ewing, Malone, Stockton, O Neal, Johnson......on and on. I'm not a believer in the term GOAT but mighty impressive list of legends Jordan routinely face to get his. It's all a matter of opinion that's mine.

Glad your a loyal fan to your team but most would admit not the same NBA. Comparing Spurs, Clips or anyone Cavs face to 76ers, Celtics, Pistons that the Bulls went thru is a joke.

The league had more parity than the current era...these "super teams" face no real competition in the regular season little in the playoffs until the finals then it's hit n miss. Warriors are a good team but I'd be more impressed with their streak if a few other teams out west had legendary players they had to go thru. Paul, Westbrook, Aldridge, Hardin etc.....good players but not great or legends of the game. Dirk, Kobe and Duncan all in their twilight years... Cavs have the same issue.

Jordan went thru Bird, Barkley, Ewing, Malone, Stockton, O Neal, Johnson......on and on. I'm not a believer in the term GOAT but mighty impressive list of legends Jordan routinely face to get his. It's all a matter of opinion that's mine.

I think you are underestimating today's players. I think if you list players the Warriors have faced, it's pretty impressive- Duncan, Kobe, LeBron, KD, Harden, Dirk, Paul, Westbrook, etc. All of those players should be first ballot Hall of Fame inductees. Plus there are up and coming players like Anthony Davis, Boogie, etc.

For sure, this is the best era of point guards. Guys like Mark Price or even John Stockton wouldn't make an All Star team in this era.

I do under value many of today's players because their lack of basics.....Beyond Lebron I don't see a current player close to "legendary" in their prime at this time. Plenty young guys with potential just not there yet.

Same argument could be said about players today playing in the 80's WWE slug fest.....Curry wouldn't be the player he is with the hand checking and physical nature of play back in the day. He struggles in this era's physical type of play...Oak set a screen or Payton push him around not allowing for the fluid motion of his shots he'd be a different player. Tit for tat...

I do under value many of today's players because their lack of basics.....Beyond Lebron I don't see a current player close to "legendary" in their prime at this time. Plenty young guys with potential just not there yet.

Same argument could be said about players today playing in the 80's WWE slug fest.....Curry wouldn't be the player he is with the hand checking and physical nature of play back in the day. He struggles in this era's physical type of play...Oak set a screen or Payton push him around not allowing for the fluid motion of his shots he'd be a different player. Tit for tat...

I agree that many players lack fundamentals these days, but they are much better athletes.

Curry could dominate in any era. He does fine with physical play, and does better against aggressive defenses. If a player picks him up full or half court and try's to check him, he can embarrass them with ball handling. It's to his advantage. Look at how he does against someone like Patrick Beverly.

He would be less prolific inside the key, and who knows if his body could take the physical abuse long term, but there is no doubt he'd still dominate from range. Hand checks, screens, etc...it wouldn't matter to Curry from range. He doesn't need much space. He shoots off the dribble at a level nobody else has in the history of the game. I could see the old style defense hurting the game of other guards though, like Kyrie or Wall who aren't great shooters off the dribble.

I think the guy who's game that would be hurt the most by the old school rules is Harden. He'd no longer get all those weak calls in the paint, and I don't think he could survive long if he attempted to drive to the basket like he does today. He's not a great shooter either.

And...Kevin Love just had knee surgery, out 6-8 weeks.

Ouch. Brown not going to be happy.

Serge Ibaka to Toronto for Terrance Ross and a 2017 first round pick.

Excellent acquisition. Ibaka has elevated his offense, but regressed on defense.

Just looking at the list Jordan had to go through is crazy. No question the league was much more arduous back in those days.

Back