General NBA Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that many players lack fundamentals these days, but they are much better athletes.

Curry could dominate in any era. He does fine with physical play, and does better against aggressive defenses. If a player picks him up full or half court and try's to check him, he can embarrass them with ball handling. It's to his advantage. Look at how he does against someone like Patrick Beverly.

He would be less prolific inside the key, and who knows if his body could take the physical abuse long term, but there is no doubt he'd still dominate from range. Hand checks, screens, etc...it wouldn't matter to Curry from range. He doesn't need much space. He shoots off the dribble at a level nobody else has in the history of the game. I could see the old style defense hurting the game of other guards though, like Kyrie or Wall who aren't great shooters off the dribble.

I think the guy who's game that would be hurt the most by the old school rules is Harden. He'd no longer get all those weak calls in the paint, and I don't think he could survive long if he attempted to drive to the basket like he does today. He's not a great shooter either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but true superstars don't blow 3-1 leads in the Finals. Not Jordan, not Bird, not Magic, etc...

I'm sorry but true superstars don't blow 3-1 leads in the Finals. Not Jordan, not Bird, not Magic, etc...

Totally agree! The Warriors have zero superstars and pretty much suck since they lost last year. So, people shouldn't complain about a super team...they don't even have a single superstar! Why does everyone pick on the Warriors when they suck and have zero superstars? [emoji848]

Totally agree! The Warriors have zero superstars and pretty much suck since they lost last year. So, people shouldn't complain about a super team...they don't even have a single superstar! Why does everyone pick on the Warriors when they suck and have zero superstars? [emoji848]

No sure if serious. They don't have a Kobe, Bron or Jordan, but GS does have 4 All-Stars on their team. Spurs only got 1 and they have 2nd best record. That's got to say something.

No sure if serious. They don't have a Kobe, Bron or Jordan, but GS does have 4 All-Stars on their team. Spurs only got 1 and they have 2nd best record. That's got to say something.

I agree. Durant and Curry have potential to be special all time players but time will tell. A few good years doesn't make one great it's sustained success that they have to prove. At this time their just all stars being very successful.

League doesn't have many greats creating competition which is part of the problem. DWade, Dirk, Lebron about the only ones in the league at the moment and two of them average players at this time

Last edited:
Bodie got banned, and haven't seen any posts from Shatterer of Dreams in a while. Those were the only Lakers fans I remember.

This! I can't say GS sucks. They won 73 games and have been to Finals 2 years in a row, and won a title. That said, I just can't see a situation where the greats of the game ever blow a 3-1 lead in the Finals. This GS team is still in their prime though and their story isn't finished quite yet.

Last edited:
too many 3's these days makes it more boring imo.

That's a part of it, but it goes deeper for me. All the rules changes on D to emphasize scoring, lack of competition, and lack of rivalries also have watered down the League for me. Scoring has never seemed easier and I miss players having to earn their buckets with physical play. The lack of competition is really disturbing. A Superstar can't win a ring on his talented team? No problem, just jump ship to a more talented team so winning a ring is that much easier. Every player is a millionaire nowadays and everyone is buddies in today's league. That leads to my last issue...a lack of real rivalries. No teams really hate each other today. No teams want to beat each other or get over the hump so bad, that they are willing to do just about anything to win. That mentality breeds bad blood and leads to incredibly competitive and entertaining games. Celts vs Lakers, Celts vs Pistons, Pistons vs Lakers, Pistons vs Bulls, and Bulls vs Knicks were EPIC battles. I don't get that feeling watching today's NBA games. IMO, the game is soft nowadays.

Could you ever imagine players like Isaiah, Bird, Magic, MJ, Ewing, Robinson, or Hakeem leaving their teams in their prime just so they can get over the hump and win a championship when they struggled to win on the teams that drafted them? That just didn't happen back then. Superstar players back then were obsessed with beating the team(s) blocking their path to a championship. They did everything in their power to overcome and earn it. It lead to animosity between players and such incredible rivalries that the games were an absolute joy to watch. For me personally, that's the element of the game I miss the most and we won't see anymore. I feel like we live in an era where fans are more passionate about the game than players are.

That's a part of it, but it goes deeper for me. All the rules changes on D to emphasize scoring, lack of competition, and lack of rivalries also have watered down the League for me. Scoring has never seemed easier and I miss players having to earn their buckets with physical play. The lack of competition is really disturbing. A Superstar can't win a ring on his talented team? No problem, just jump ship to a more talented team so winning a ring is that much easier. Every player is a millionaire nowadays and everyone is buddies in today's league. That leads to my last issue...a lack of real rivalries. No teams really hate each other today. No teams want to beat each other or get over the hump so bad, that they are willing to do just about anything to win. That mentality breeds bad blood and leads to incredibly competitive and entertaining games. Celts vs Lakers, Celts vs Pistons, Pistons vs Lakers, Pistons vs Bulls, and Bulls vs Knicks were EPIC battles. I don't get that feeling watching today's NBA games. IMO, the game is soft nowadays.

Could you ever imagine players like Isaiah, Bird, Magic, MJ, Ewing, Robinson, or Hakeem leaving their teams in their prime just so they can get over the hump and win a championship when they struggled to win on the teams that drafted them? That just didn't happen back then. Superstar players back then were obsessed with beating the team(s) blocking their path to a championship. They did everything in their power to overcome and earn it. It lead to animosity between players and such incredible rivalries that the games were an absolute joy to watch. For me personally, that's the element of the game I miss the most and we won't see anymore. I feel like we live in an era where fans are more passionate about the game than players are.

I will say that OKC and Memphis had a decent (not legendary) rivalry over the past decade. Those two teams really hated each other for a while. People wanted OKC and Dallas to be rivals but it hasn't really clicked. The only really (and forced) rivalry is GS and CLE....unfortunately.

I will say that OKC and Memphis had a decent (not legendary) rivalry over the past decade. Those two teams really hated each other for a while. People wanted OKC and Dallas to be rivals but it hasn't really clicked. The only really (and forced) rivalry is GS and CLE....unfortunately.

Yeah, however none of those rivalries can compare to the ones I mentioned because all of those teams were killing each other to win championships. With Durant jumping ship to try and win a ring, OKC isn't a threat anymore. The level of competition in today's NBA is nothing compared to the old days. We are essentially in a 2 team league with no real up and coming teams. I don't care for Cleveland or GS and I can't see another team that I can say is on the cusp of winning a championship.

Maybe there'll be an influx of new players that'll help me become more interested in the NBA in the future. However, the existing mentality of jumping to other teams to more easily win a ring isn't going away any time soon. It all started in Boston (with the Big 3), continued in Miami, and now resides in GS. The Spurs are the only team left I enjoy watching but they are old and at the end of a long successful run. Today's NBA just doesn't hold much interest for me. I loved the old school mentality...to be the best, you had to beat the best. Today's mentality is...if you can't beat them, join them.

Last edited:
Seems like our formative NBA years were the same time, Filip. Like you said, it'll never be that way anymore, Why? 1) AAU. All the top prospects have played with or against each other since they were young, and 2) Social Media.

Seems like our formative NBA years were the same time, Filip. Like you said, it'll never be that way anymore, Why? 1) AAU. All the top prospects have played with or against each other since they were young, and 2) Social Media.

Yeah, it's just a different era and there's no going back. I look at guys like Reggie Miller who stayed and played his heart out to try and win a championship for his team and city and I realize that won't happen today. Ewing was another player cut from that same cloth. They were competitive players that gave everything they had for their teams and even though they never won a ring, I respect the hell out of them. They didn't look for an easy road to a championship. They looked to build one.

I wonder if GS fans get bored with winning so much? I remember back when the University of Oklahoma was winning constantly a few years back (and by LARGE margins). Fans said they would get bored at the games as it would be like 38-3 at half. I like when my team wins, but I also like the gamble that anything can happen. NBA is plagued with predictability. At least baseball and NFL have better competition.

I wonder if GS fans get bored with winning so much? I remember back when the University of Oklahoma was winning constantly a few years back (and by LARGE margins). Fans said they would get bored at the games as it would be like 38-3 at half. I like when my team wins, but I also like the gamble that anything can happen. NBA is plagued with predictability. At least baseball and NFL have better competition.

They only won one ring. Not a dynasty yet.

Nope, I have no issue with them winning. I'd be happy if they won every game by 30. [emoji848]

Back