Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quality Kong pieces of any version of the character have been hard to come by, this is one of the best I've ever seen, despite being 6" shorter, it totally blows away the $35 Walmart Kong I have, it's a definite want. They did go going with a slightly more dynamic pose than the more traditional Godzilla type pose.

Apparently that kong is a sculpture and not vinyl, so the end result will depend on how different the softer texture feels

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It will be sold as one, but apparently the guy onsite said that one is a sculpt our of resin I believe. I'd love to be wrong but I swore I read that.

Interesting, maybe there will be multiple offerings, these pieces have never been released under Star Ace before. As long as one comes around $100-$150 shipped I'll be happy.

Yeah I'll be happy with that. The star ace thing is new for me. I wonder why them and not diamond?

Well someone said Star Ace and X-Plus are associated as companies, where Diamond is a distributor, it probably has to do with licensing for the design, WB owns this Kong at the least, Star Ace is doing a lot of WB properties with figures so my guess is that the WB contract is with Star Ace and that's how this can get released. As long as it means a more affordable U.S. option and the ability to get first release and not wait for a diamond reissue, I'm good with it, and maybe this could lead to something for X-Plus Godzilla 2 pieces.

The business end of things is quite intriguing. WB/Legendary own rights to Kong, Toho doesn't, but, WB/Legendary has some rights to their iteration of Godzilla but so does Toho, so maybe, Toho trumps WB/Legendary as far as Toho owned characters, and that'll continue even with Godzilla 2, but Kong is an exception since it's all WB/Legendary.

I'd like to see a Kong and Skullcrawler from X-Plus that could be setup fighting one another, this piece now is too much of Kong king of the island in his posture, not at all like he's ready to fight, so a lone skullcrawler to go with this would look silly.

X-Plus would probably price this at a yen equivalent of $160-$200 USD. Add shipping and you're looking at a total of at least $190-200. Going off Diamond prices, I predict a North American-distributed version being maybe $20 less.

The business end of things is quite intriguing. WB/Legendary own rights to Kong, Toho doesn't, but, WB/Legendary has some rights to their iteration of Godzilla but so does Toho, so maybe, Toho trumps WB/Legendary as far as Toho owned characters, and that'll continue even with Godzilla 2, but Kong is an exception since it's all WB/Legendary.

I'd like to see a Kong and Skullcrawler from X-Plus that could be setup fighting one another, this piece now is too much of Kong king of the island in his posture, not at all like he's ready to fight, so a lone skullcrawler to go with this would look silly.

I thought nobody knows who really owns the rights to kong. I remember there being a big dispute with Nintendo and everything and universal. Some vid I watched said that the King Kong rights are all over the place so they usually can’t use King Kong but just kong.

I think the first pic is the coolest angle of him but nearly impossible to display like that lol

as cool as the overall pose is, it does seem like from low viewing angles, which many folks seem reduced too because of his size, there are less flattering angles, at the shows where he could be shot from above, there seemed to be a lot more options that flattered the piece.

G1f6WSnh.jpg

CAN'T. WAIT. TO. SEE. RIC.

:explode:

It shouldn't be too much longer. I would think within the next two weeks, since
X-Plus likes to release stuff in either the third or fourth week of the month. I'm
ready to get my RIC, and I'm probably going to try to pick up a standard also.

Back