Premium Format Green Goblin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The statue itself is lovely. The dirty teeth and goggles still annoy me...Marvel Adventures Green Goblin had goggles so it's not an entirely made up thing, but Green Goblin NEVER has dirty teeth so I'm not sure why they think that's ok or who at Marvel approved that...but as a #1 Spidey-Fan this excites me! It just has a crazy price. But no EX means this might be easily acquired later for less. No rush to order.

There's no exclusives on this. Its already been confirmed. With that said, I'm priced out on standard sized PF's that are over $500. No thanks!

I'm in California, with tax and freight this'll be right at $600.

I can understand the price hike with a more complex presentation and it would look great opposite Spidey, but I don't have the same love for the character. Makes me wonder what a new Venom would be priced at, or any larger villain for that matter.

I don't know what justifies ss's rising prices, it could be because of overseas competition, I'm not sure, whatever.

What I do know is in the past 2 years ss has shown me beautiful pics of beautiful sculptures and all but maybe 2 have arrived to me with rust, chips, holes, breaks, excessively bad paint mishaps beyond the minor sloppy paint I can ignore, misnumbered bases, parts that don't fit, missing parts, torn clothing and improper tailoring.

Question that list I just provided, I have an example and pics for each f up they sent me.

Meanwhile, I only have 1 XM so far and it's perfect. Well, nothing's perfect, but yal get what I'm saying. And yes, it's only 1. XM has had some f ups as well. But not many. ES 999 or less on all Marvel statues so far, so less opportunities to f up. I paid a lot comparatively, but it was under $1000, not over like many claim.

People who can afford luxury will often pay for it. If ss can't provide luxury product they won't get luxury payment from me. That's just been my experience, I know some of yal out there have experienced differently and that's ok, I can only go by my own situation.
Peedi, you know I get where you are coming from but as far as Im concerned XM has done maybe 3 statues that justify the price and even if you were guaranteed a perfect SSC Goblin inspected by the CEO himself I'd still have a hard going, sure here's $520+shipping for a normal sized mass produced sculpted figure when I just paid $550 for an huge Hulk and $70 less for Green Lantern and Spider-man and $90 less for Aquaman.

Peedi, you know I get where you are coming from but as far as Im concerned XM has done maybe 3 statues that justify the price and even if you were guaranteed a perfect SSC Goblin inspected by the CEO himself I'd still have a hard going, sure here's $520+shipping for a normal sized mass produced sculpted figure when I just paid $550 for an huge Hulk and $70 less for Green Lantern and Spider-man and $90 less for Aquaman.

I know you do Josh, but I think maybe my point was missed a bit. Prices being justified is a matter of opinion, I said people who can afford luxury will pay for luxury but nowhere did I say any of these prices were justified...I don't think I've ever said any price of any statue is justified. These are feel good, non essential, or luxury products, nothing about their prices is justified because nobody needs these things. I just want them...a lot, lol.

My only point was if I'm paying more money for something it needs to come with quality and no issues, and that's NOT what I've been getting from ss. At least elsewhere myself, and it appears more often others as well, are getting better quality. I don't like ss, XM or any other prices, but at least guarantee quality for the high prices.

As for your price comparisons I actually fully agree with you, but that wasn't so much my point.

I was excited to order this but that price is insane compared to the last several PFs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about this justifies $50 more than Spidey? I'm the type that is willing to pay more for something if I think the "value" is better, and that's what some of these other companies are offering with their higher prices. SS was always a no-brainer because of price, but now I don't know if I can justify the extreme price hike. The "value" just isn't there for me.

Just to clarify what I meant, in the past I would order Sideshow pieces even if I wasn't completely in love with them simply because of the prices. Now, though, they have gotten into the realm where I have to weigh how much I like it, and whether it is worth ordering to me rather than just simply buying it.

So unless Alex is blowing smoke for some reason there may not be an Ex for this after all..

It was a project that wasn't intended to have an exclusive. It was looked into really far down the line to see if a possibility of another head could happen but it was too late to even start that process as the item had to go up for order before the end of this year and there just wasn't any time left to sculpt, re-engineer the piece.

I hope there is something else going in here, but I am starting to wonder IF SSC is planning a full out Classic Goblin down the road ala the Moder Batman and Classic Catwoman. I am really starting to think this simply because with talents like the guys at SSC I would be shocked if one of their premiere guys couldn't put something together for a classic head in literally days.... Maybe even hours. I did one one in 3 hrs when I saw he teaser.... Now it isn finished by any means, but it is better than nothing.

Last edited:
Igo himself on the other board said there is no classic head expected for this, back when we first saw the early 3D pics. He also said another character was getting the treatment, supposedly mcfarlane venom.

This is completely inaccurate.

Last time I checked XM pieces edition sizes were in the thousands as well

Your logic is fail

Otherwise sell me your home for half the price of your next door neighbors.

Im not gonna lie, when Sideshow delivers a great piece-- ill flat out say it

And to be honest Sideshows Goblin looks way better than XMs

If im struggling to justify domestic price of $500 -- I dont see how $900-1200 is justified for a comparably sized statue

Last time I checked XM pieces edition sizes were in the thousands as well

Your logic is fail

Otherwise sell me your home for half the price of your next door neighbors.

Im not gonna lie, when Sideshow delivers a great piece-- ill flat out say it

And to be honest Sideshows Goblin looks way better than XMs

If im struggling to justify domestic price of $500 -- I dont see how $900-1200 is justified for a comparably sized statue

I missed this post.
XM edition size on Marvel pieces is capped at 999.
Sideshow does AT LEAST 2000 pieces (double) as a minimum. Brown Wolverine is considered a "poor seller" and he still has 1500 Ex + 2500 Reg, that's 4000 pieces right there. There are huge differences in production costs and revenues between 1000 sold pieces and 2-3-4 thousands, I hope you realize this, you can do math on your own.
And, sorry but, your logic is fail. This is not about an individual selling a single good (me and my house), it's about a company selling a good in the thousands, economies of scale apply etc etc.
Sideshow at 400$ and 4000 pieces would still make more than XM at 600$ and 999 pieces and most likely sell those 4000 pieces much quicker instead of having them around for two years because people need to see the finished piece before purchasing.
You're adding random points like which one is better in your opinion (which is non relevant) or that when Sideshow delivers a good piece you say it, which is fine but still, doesn't really have much to do with what is being talked here. I was just pointing out that competition is not the cause of Sideshow's increased price imho, or they would have started raising prices years ago when their so called grails were selling for 3-4 times retail.
Increasing labor costs in China and more complex sculpts are surely factors. Improved QC might be a reason but I won't jump to that conclusion too quickly, Sideshow hit some home runs lately but people like to forget about things like Godzilla. But "we raise prices because competition is more expensive"? That's a flawed logic unless they want to pull something major in terms of complexity (like Red Sonja). The reaction to this Green Goblin speaks for itself, I agree with you that I wouldn't spend neither 500 or 700 or 1000$ on the character and there seems to be a good consensus on this point, looking around.

Igo himself on the other board said there is no classic head expected for this, back when we first saw the early 3D pics. He also said another character was getting the treatment, supposedly mcfarlane venom.

Yeah Dave has been right up front from the start about there being no classic head. What I was saying is I don't totally get why one couldnt be added. I know approval time lines are tight, but given the power of ZBrush I just can't imagine that a truly talented artist couldn't have modified the head to have a more classic look.

This is completely inaccurate.

Yeah the highest XM had said they will go is 999 which is basically 1000 pieces. However, the prices quoted for importing an XM piece are pretty close to bent accurate, and it might be more for us Canucks now that out dollar has fallen so far.

Yeah Dave has been right up front from the start about there being no classic head. What I was saying is I don't totally get why one couldnt be added. I know approval time lines are tight, but given the power of ZBrush I just can't imagine that a truly talented artist couldn't have modified the head to have a more classic look.

Take this with a grain of salt, but some time ago Macaluso said that to shorten production times, companies were sending pieces in production months before the actual preorder. This would explain why some of the recent pieces (Arkham Batman and Joker) took only, like, 6 months from PO to release.
By reading what Alex said, this could be the case, that the statue is already ahead in production and they don't want to make any kind of change/addition. He might have the head fixed to the body, or they might just not want to delay production due to deadlines, dunno.
Why on Earth this piece wasn't made with a classic switch out portrait from the very start is beyond me too, btw. I'm no expert of the character, what would change between this and a full classic version, other than the head?

Not sure how I feel about the stylized smoke vs. somewhat realistic looking GG. The price is a chapter on its own as well. Dayum things are going up.

If next year at SDCC they have this on display with Spider-Man, Venom and another villain and they look great together it's gonna be hard to pass up for Spidey fans.

Venom is the villain I am waiting for. But I'm sure they'll make som dynamic pose so he's just all over the place and impossible for me to fit in next to Spidey CQ (old) in a Besta. Sniff... :(

If next year at SDCC they have this on display with Spider-Man, Venom and another villain and they look great together it's gonna be hard to pass up for Spidey fans.

And for the budget concious buyer, we offer 8 easy flex pays of just $58 a month! Seriously though, that is how they keep people that dont want to spend that much in the game. Otherwise they would have lost them a LONG time ago.

I have swung back and forth from, nope to, well think of how damn good it will look with that Spidey I ALREADY COMMITTED TO BUYING. So your point is taken, and it is why I will eventually lock this in.

This argument is really no different than ANY old thread where prices rose. People were bitching up a storm when it went from 250/275 to 300. Black Beard was scandalously expensive at $400 when it was put up for sale in 2008.

I will be stunned if there really is no EX though. I thought Igo had confirmed there was one, just not a classic head.

Back