HBO: The Last of Us

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the casting of Kaitlin Dever as Abby, I heard on a YT video yesterday that Naughty Dog may de-bulk the game model to bring her more in line with how Kaitlin may look. Take with a massive pinch of salt though, I have doubts as to whether that will happen. It was only the game model of Abby that was ever built that way anyway, if you see videos and pics of Jocelyn Mettler (Her head model in the game.), even she is normally built.

Regarding the casting of Kaitlin Dever as Abby, I heard on a YT video yesterday that Naughty Dog may de-bulk the game model to bring her more in line with how Kaitlin may look. Take with a massive pinch of salt though, I have doubts as to whether that will happen. It was only the game model of Abby that was ever built that way anyway, if you see videos and pics of Jocelyn Mettler (Her head model in the game.), even she is normally built.
They’re not gonna do that lol

Joshua Roper

8 h ·

431977173_7797240280300858_6700250566036494036_n.jpg

Seeing photos of the season 2's production popping up almost daily put me in the mood to watch the series for a third time.

It still holds up for me. As 'a version' of The Last of Us it does well, and has the feels in the right places - particularly the pivotal moments between Joel and Ellie.

What struck me most on this watch was just how much more brutal Joel's rescue of Ellie appears in live action. He repeatedly implied to Ellie he wasn't a good person, and as a viewer we bear witness to the lengths he'll go to.

No different in essence to the game, but in live action it really hits as a point of no return, setting up the events of the next season. The final line in the series hits just as hard as the game,

Last edited:
Ive only rewatched the bill and frank episode, the henry and sam episode and the winter episode since the show came out. Those episodes are crazy good. Otherwise I think the game did everything so much better and it’s not really worth rewatching. I think the ending was especially poor. The whole firefly hospital part only lasting 5-10 minutes…. Making a PG friendly montage of Joel killing all the fireflies with a sad song in the background. So bad. That scene shouldve shown Joels ruthlessness, his dark side. By cutting away from all the action and putting a sad song behind it it completely ruined the inner conflict the watcher is supposed to feel. Its so clear that the shows creators are biased towards what Joel did was the right thing to do, not leaving any room for the viewer to question Joels actions. We shouldve gotten raw footage of Joel mowing them down, lots of blood everywhere to show just how psycho Joel went. The game DOES provoke you to think about whether Joels actions were worth it, considering Ellie made it clear she was depressed and was willing to die for the cause and Joel just pulled her away. That and of course the fact that her operation couldve made a cure for mankind. But this was completely lost in the show in my opinion.

And gosh the left behind episode felt like a total boring filler. The game did it so much better. Them being attacked by one zombie and it being foreshadowed so far in advance made it incredibly anti climactic.

That was my rant for the day lol.

Ive only rewatched the bill and frank episode, the henry and sam episode and the winter episode since the show came out. Those episodes are crazy good. Otherwise I think the game did everything so much better and it’s not really worth rewatching. I think the ending was especially poor. The whole firefly hospital part only lasting 5-10 minutes…. Making a PG friendly montage of Joel killing all the fireflies with a sad song in the background. So bad. That scene shouldve shown Joels ruthlessness, his dark side. By cutting away from all the action and putting a sad song behind it it completely ruined the inner conflict the watcher is supposed to feel. Its so clear that the shows creators are biased towards what Joel did was the right thing to do, not leaving any room for the viewer to question Joels actions. We shouldve gotten raw footage of Joel mowing them down, lots of blood everywhere to show just how psycho Joel went. The game DOES provoke you to think about whether Joels actions were worth it, considering Ellie made it clear she was depressed and was willing to die for the cause and Joel just pulled her away. That and of course the fact that her operation couldve made a cure for mankind. But this was completely lost in the show in my opinion.

And gosh the left behind episode felt like a total boring filler. The game did it so much better. Them being attacked by one zombie and it being foreshadowed so far in advance made it incredibly anti climactic.

That was my rant for the day lol.

The games will always be the prime version.

Mowing enemies down in video games is par for the course, but watching Pedro make his way through the hospital taking out each of the Fireflies in a systematic manner felt more brutal. For practical reasons he killed the one who surrendered because he didn't have time to deal with them. In a time of war that would literally be a war crime. He'd already done the same to the last of the truck ambushers. It's something that doesn't happen often enough in movies and series because it crosses the line, but in reality leaving such enemies alive is asking for trouble later.

After shooting Abby's dad he could so easily have shot the nurses as well in the frame of mind he was in.

I think the HBO hospital scene does show the extent of Joel's ruthlessness, and does so less ambiguously than the game because it is live action.

Whereas the game left me with the moral dilemma of murdering to save Ellie, I think the show goes further to set up the justification for Abby's revenge, which may help non-gamers find greater acceptance for Abby herself.

The final scene reminded me again of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Joel lies to conceal the terrible truth from Ellie, just as Marlow lied to Kurtz' Intended to conceal the reality of Kurtz' insanity and evil ("Exterminate all the brutes!")

Unfortunately for Joel (and Ellie), she isn't as naïve as Kurtz' Intended, who's faith in Kurtz was a "great and saving illusion that shone with an unearthly glow in the darkness."

Joel's saving of Ellie is the trigger that will plunge her into the heart of darkness of Part II.

However, we wouldn't have it any other way. Joel could do nothing else but save her, and it makes for a challenging storyline.

Back