Hot Toys - Batman 1966 Live-action TV Series - Batmobile

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The batmobile guy said that was recorded a year ago

Now that Warner Brothers is promoting the DVD and Blu-ray release showing clips of me in their 30 minute infomercial, the non-disclosure agreement is pretty much null and void!* In November, WB sent a filmmaking team to Logansport, Indiana*to shoot a segment about Fiberglass Freaks*for their special features.* Apparently our segment will come under the "Collectors" heading, after Ralph Garman and Kevin Silva.**

And the Batmobile was shown over two years ago...Hot Toys hasn't called it cancelled so as of right now, it's still coming.

Well, the last word we had was "production problems" and they were still trying. Since the figures weren't a home run I think it's still iffy about it coming out.

Production problems don't equal cancelled. So as of right now...it's still coming. Might be a long shot but until they give the official word that its dead in the water, it's officially still coming out.

They also said they are developing more characters for the line in the same interview...even with the slow sales.

I think it's likely they just over shot demand. And for the price, it's got a ton of competition in the market. Hot Toys, for better or worse, is also experiencing a canabalization of sales for their product. Even the Iron Man products aren't selling out anymore.

Simply a glut of product to chose from with only so much mad money to spread around. Lots of collectors are experiencing it.

Last edited:
I think Hot Toys pulled a Sideshow and thought demand for their products was a lot higher then it actually is... All this does is kill the secondary market on these products, especially for people who pre-ordered and paid full price... Now their figures are only worth about 70% of what they paid. After several years it will probably balance itself out but for the short term it sucks if you need to sell...

I think Hot Toys pulled a Sideshow and thought demand for their products was a lot higher then it actually is... All this does is kill the secondary market on these products, especially for people who pre-ordered and paid full price... Now their figures are only worth about 70% of what they paid. After several years it will probably balance itself out but for the short term it sucks if you need to sell...

Not to be unkind, but if someone needs to resell these and the loss of $$ value is that critical to their financial health, they shouldn't be buying them in the first place.

Not to be unkind, but if someone needs to resell these and the loss of $$ value is that critical to their financial health, they shouldn't be buying them in the first place.

Whether you like it or not resale value is very important in any healthy collectible market. Sure you may be ok with losing money but that is not the norm.

Not looking to get into the right or wrong reasons for collecting 'debate' as it is personal and varies. Yet as a 'whole', the above statement has proven true time and time again.

I agree with you 100% if we were dealing with $9 action figures... But when these figures start pushing the $250 mark, resell value does come into consideration... only someone who was rich or someone who is not very wise with their money would argue otherwise. Take into consideration that most people don't have large display areas, so in order to keep the hobby going for them they need to sell older figures off in order to get new ones, if you were losing 30%+ every time you sold one then that could be a lot of money your throwing away.

I agree with you 100% if we were dealing with $9 action figures... But when these figures start pushing the $250 mark, resell value does come into consideration... only someone who was rich or someone who is not very wise with their money would argue otherwise. Take into consideration that most people don't have large display areas, so in order to keep the hobby going for them they need to sell older figures off in order to get new ones, if you were losing 30%+ every time you sold one then that could be a lot of money your throwing away.

I have a tough time seeing these figures as anything more than an entertainment expense, purchased with discretionary income. If I pay for a move ticket, a round of golf, a vacation or an expensive meal, I'm not getting any resale action on those items. The fact that I could get anything back reselling something I purchased for my own personal enjoyment is a plus, I certainly don't buy Hot toys figures and expect them to retain or increase their original value. If anyone is banking on these as an "investment", that's foolish, there are much better was to invest. If you get upset because the "market value" of one of your figures drops 30% below what you paid, you need to re-evaluate if it meant enough to you to buy it in the first place.
I enjoy the '66 Batman and Robin on their own asthetic merits, if they're worth $10 tomorrow it won't affect my enjoyment in the slightest, except it makes it easier to justify buying another set to display in the hopefully-forthcoming Batmobile.

Banking on these as an investment is foolish, you're right, but, at the same time, we're not exactly talking nickles and dimes here, and I feel like we're talking about Apples and Oranges when you're comparing these things to movies and vacations. A vacation isn't even a physical product, it's an experience. You're paying for the enjoyment factor, and you can't physically hold that in your hands. A movie ticket's what? $9-$11; hell, here in Ohio, I can go to a matinee for $5.50 with a $2 surcharge for 3D. Now, I can say "you're all peasants! $250 is spare change to me," but that doesn't make it true of everyone. Traditionally speaking, these things are expensive, and it's to be expected that there might be some trepidation from certain parties when purchasing something like this. I highly doubt that Hot Toys would have the customer base they do now, if these things only retained 10% of their original retail price, in terms of value.

You can say that it's like going on vacation all you want, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of the people who buy these are accustomed to paying $20-50 for action figures, and taking a $25 loss is much easier to swallow than a loss that's 10 times that amount. Some people have collections that are worth upwards of $5,000 on here. Now, perhaps we should just agree to disagree, but there's comfort in security. Even if you have no intention of selling them, it's still nice to know that, if circumstances should arise that would require you to do so, you still have that peace of mind.

Banking on these as an investment is foolish, you're right, but, at the same time, we're not exactly talking nickles and dimes here, and I feel like we're talking about Apples and Oranges when you're comparing these things to movies and vacations. A vacation isn't even a physical product, it's an experience. You're paying for the enjoyment factor, and you can't physically hold that in your hands. A movie ticket's what? $9-$11; hell, here in Ohio, I can go to a matinee for $5.50 with a $2 surcharge for 3D. Now, I can say "you're all peasants! $250 is spare change to me," but that doesn't make it true of everyone. Traditionally speaking, these things are expensive, and it's to be expected that there might be some trepidation from certain parties when purchasing something like this. I highly doubt that Hot Toys would have the customer base they do now, if these things only retained 10% of their original retail price, in terms of value.

You can say that it's like going on vacation all you want, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of the people who buy these are accustomed to paying $20-50 for action figures, and taking a $25 loss is much easier to swallow than a loss that's 10 times that amount. Some people have collections that are worth upwards of $5,000 on here. Now, perhaps we should just agree to disagree, but there's comfort in security. Even if you have no intention of selling them, it's still nice to know that, if circumstances should arise that would require you to do so, you still have that peace of mind.

QFT. :lecture

I have to agree with Warlock664 on this one.
The fact that these figures and pieces are in any way re-sellable is purely a bonus, regardless what the cost is. In the end, they are toys. Expensive toys, but still only toys, and if a person buys them with the intention of selling them later, then maybe they should re-evaluate their buying criteria. I am fortunate enough to have the disposable income to afford this hobby, but I still have very specific buying criteria, and I stick with it. Because of that criteria, I only buy figures I have no intention of selling, and it keeps me from overspending.
If folks want to constantly turnover their collection, that's great. If they lose money on the sale, they should consider that loss (eg.30% or whatever) as the cost of the enjoyment of owning the figure for that time period. Kind of like a car lease, or renting a movie....

Having just been charged for my first Flexpay earlier this week for the dynamic duo, I really hope this happens, along with a ****load of villains, but, I'd be happy to get one or two more figures and the car.:lecture

Back