1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Understood, but your photorealism, I assume which may me a particular scene or reaction pose, may be different from my expectation of photorealism. I think that's one of the humongous tasks an HT sculptor is faced with: "How can I create a sculpt that doesn't limit the character's overall likeness." That's why a lot of HT headsculpts have neutral expressions. Not every collector is going to want an angry face sculpt of a character or what not. The best way is to make the expression as neutral as possible.

Photorealism is not the same as expression. It is either an accurate anatomical study or it's not. I think the anatomical likeness on the Marty McFly figure is great, but the expression is dull. I passed on it for that reason, it just didn't look 'right' to me in how I'd like to see the character on the shelf.

I'm buying this Han Solo because it's Han Solo and I don't mind the expression at all. But the likeness is definitely not there when seen from most of the angles I've seen in pics or vids.

This is a good example of likeness difficulty, to me. An actual picture of Ford looks Drake'd (assuming there isn't massive distortion going on, due to it being a photo of a TV screen). HT's Solo looks more like Ford than this pic. :lol

Photorealism is not the same as expression. It is either an accurate anatomical study or it's not. I think the anatomical likeness on the Marty McFly figure is great, but the expression is dull. I passed on it for that reason, it just didn't look 'right' to me in how I'd like to see the character on the shelf.

I'm buying this Han Solo because it's Han Solo and I don't mind the expression at all. But the likeness is definitely not there when seen from most of the angles I've seen in pics or vids.
Yeah, fair enough. Ideally I'd love a Ford sculpt that looked like he walked out of the movie, but even with its short comings, I think Han and Chewie on display will be pretty amazing.

That's why that expression stood out to me, I feel like HT has captured his likeness pretty well. No sculpt is perfect but it's pretty damn good if you ask me.

Yeh, it's good enough for me to pay *gulp over two hundred dollars for it. And it's easy to find fault when looking at a hi-res version of a 1/6 doll. Hopefully even without tweaks this will hold up fine in-hand.

I've gone from playing with this:
msFuBX5IC4JecDOXWHMbNUA.jpg

to collecting this
902266-product-thumb1.jpg

I know there are issues here and there with the fig, but overall it's freaking fantastic. I don't know if any sculptors can chime in, but I'm pretty sure sculpting human faces, particularly of famous people or characters, is extremely difficult. It's not like a Iron Man fig where the head is symmetrical and geometrically sound. I'm sure the sculptor of this head looked through hundreds of photos of Ford from the movie and was tasked with coming up with a likeness of Ford as Han Solo. Keep in mind, likeness does not mean the image of the character in a particular scene, likeness means an overall image of the character throughout the whole movie. I know this figure is expensive, but I believe the DX07 was not cheap either. That's the cost of licensing from a major deal like Star Wars, Lucasfilm, Disney, a major star like Harrison Ford, who has to authorize the use of his likeness etc. I'm sure you can get a great sculptor like Rainman to do what you may deem a better sculpt, but you're going to pay a butt-ton more. For me this will do.

:goodpost: :impatient: like he said.

Trevor's Indy head combined with Sideshow Han hair is the closest we've come so far to a good Ford-as-Han likeness - that and, unbelievably, the Medicom Han. there were also some 3 3/4 figures which captured the likeness, like the VOTC Han from 2004. That's it. So it's not impossible, it's just not happening, but why?

Trevor's Indy head combined with Sideshow Han hair is the closest we've come so far to a good Ford-as-Han likeness - that and, unbelievably, the Medicom Han. there were also some 3 3/4 figures which captured the likeness, like the VOTC Han from 2004. That's it. So it's not impossible, it's just not happening, but why?

I think part of the problem is Ford can look so different from picture to picture, or movie to movie. From some angles his face can look rather chiseled and square, and from others it's much much narrow. Or his chin appears to be much bigger in some shots or his nose more pronounced...

Which makes capturing the ideal, perfect Harrison Ford really hard to do. Even Trevor has sculpted it very differently each time he's done it (his Hoth Han so far looks to be much less narrow than his PF and 1/6 Indys, for instance).

Yep, it's an issue with both Ford and Hamill. The likeness is probably spot-on for whichever reference shot they used, but doesn't quite match our collective memory.

Used a code on the exclusive. Will probably cancel but I am curious to see a HT human sculpt in-hand and have had no luck getting Luke at a good price.

I will keep an eye out for you! What prices has the Luke been going for lately?

I actually saw one of the exclusives go for around $355 shipped which seemed fair (though still a lot to spend on anything). But most people start their listings at $400 or higher.

How are people seeing Mark Ruffalo in this sculpt? :rotfl

That's actually who I see a little bit. It might be the same sculptor which could play a part. The beginning of this thread was amazing with all the initial comparisons.

Uh, I can't rep you until I recharge - I spent them all repping the more outrageous posts in the 'Han Solo looks more like...' thread.

I think you're onto something - this could be the only figure a collector will ever need. Looking like so many other characters (other than Han Solo) all you need to do to change up the display is to change outfits every now and again. *poof! It's Bruce Banner *shazam! It's Bank Robber Joker! *Allakazoo! Selina Kyle!

I might have to buy two of 'em.

Back