1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just hoping the two pack is still available in February. I'd rather PO R2 now since it's cheaper. I can do both but it will kill me financially this month.

Yeh, I wouldn't worry. Even if the Han Solo proto was a home run they'd still have a whole stack of these. As it is, I think most sensible people will wait for in-hand pics before laying down nearly $500 on a set that isn't entirely convincing. I PO'd the set, NRD and flex, and I'm not especially excited about it. I could be completely wrong, but I'd guess the set won't waitlist until after release.

BBTS got me that stupid DX Jack Sparrow long telescope exclusive that overseas buyers were getting their knickers in a twist about missing out on. NRFB :lol

I'm going off this figure really fast. What with them screwing up the Han and Ben sculpts and Chewbacca not showing any signs of improvement, and Vader's ridiculous price, I may just save the money and splurge on the Rainman Jack Torrance or save up for a past figure I want to catch up on or something. Really disappointed at the moment.

Flipped through ANH earlier for sandtrooper reference; coming across Han I wondered what the HT sculpt would like under the DX07 hair piece...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gone from playing with this:
msFuBX5IC4JecDOXWHMbNUA.jpg

to collecting this
902266-product-thumb1.jpg

I know there are issues here and there with the fig, but overall it's freaking fantastic. I don't know if any sculptors can chime in, but I'm pretty sure sculpting human faces, particularly of famous people or characters, is extremely difficult. It's not like a Iron Man fig where the head is symmetrical and geometrically sound. I'm sure the sculptor of this head looked through hundreds of photos of Ford from the movie and was tasked with coming up with a likeness of Ford as Han Solo. Keep in mind, likeness does not mean the image of the character in a particular scene, likeness means an overall image of the character throughout the whole movie. I know this figure is expensive, but I believe the DX07 was not cheap either. That's the cost of licensing from a major deal like Star Wars, Lucasfilm, Disney, a major star like Harrison Ford, who has to authorize the use of his likeness etc. I'm sure you can get a great sculptor like Rainman to do what you may deem a better sculpt, but you're going to pay a butt-ton more. For me this will do.

Yep, I'd agree with that, too. As far as customs go, IMINIME's Ford wasn't any better than this, IMO, and generally they do a fantastic job (Ford is obviously very hard to capture). At the end of the day, I will be very happy to have Solo and Chewbacca on the shelf.

Well said, Criterion. I look forward to the day the dynamic duo arrives on the doorstep. I love this year so much, the year of STAR WARS! :rock

I never liked Rainman's style personally, even though I like some selected sculpts he's done. But people often buy his stuff precisely for his unique interpretation of characters. When I buy a Hot Toys or any other high end figure I'm not interested in the artist's unique stamp, I'm after photorealism.

They just need to change the hair and I'd be happy.

Honestly wish they would just leave out the second hair piece and have it all one sculpt. They did fine with Bespin Luke's removable hair so idk why they couldn't get Han's to sit lower.

I thought the sculpt looked great in the budget stark video, maybe it's a sculpt that doesn't photograph well but looks great in person. That Ben Kenobi on the other hand...

Well, to each his own. I'm not really sure if I will buy the Rain Man Jack Torrance figure - the probable price is a deterrent, but I just think I would rather keep the $225 for a figure I'm fully willing to pay that price for.

I never liked Rainman's style personally, even though I like some selected sculpts he's done. But people often buy his stuff precisely for his unique interpretation of characters. When I buy a Hot Toys or any other high end figure I'm not interested in the artist's unique stamp, I'm after photorealism.

Understood, but your photorealism, I assume which may me a particular scene or reaction pose, may be different from my expectation of photorealism. I think that's one of the humongous tasks an HT sculptor is faced with: "How can I create a sculpt that doesn't limit the character's overall likeness." That's why a lot of HT headsculpts have neutral expressions. Not every collector is going to want an angry face sculpt of a character or what not. The best way is to make the expression as neutral as possible.

Back