1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting to think waiting for the ESB vader is the better move.

Yeah if I was ever going to replace my ROTJ SS Vader it would be for the ESB or ROTJ Hot Toys figure, not this ANH offering. I'm actually pretty excited for their take on Vader's reveal face and the accessories they'll pack with it. I hope it wouldn't cost $350 tho..

I'm trying to hold out for an Empire version myself but it might be tough once pictures start flowing.

Hmm, I can't split hairs between ANH and ESB/ROTJ. Both are essential and substantially different from one another.

I like elegance and sophistication of the ESB/ROTJ Vader. I get the appeal of the bruiser thug aspects of ANH, but to me it just looked like a cheap movie costume compared to its sequel versions. The lights on his chest box didn't even turn on.. It kinda seemed like Vader was "in between" suits and had to use an old one he didn't really like. :lol

I like elegance and sophistication of the ESB/ROTJ Vader. I get the appeal of the bruiser thug aspects of ANH...

That's exactly it. ESB Vader is like a classic Bond villain, whereas ANH Vader is more like a henchman.

I grew up with ANH first, so that Vader has appeal for me beyond the 'type' or production limitations though. I also like how, at the time, it felt like Vader had risen up the ranks in ESB to become more of a commander than just "the Emperor's representative" as it felt in ANH.

I will get both, I'm sure.

I wonder how the lightsaber will light up, considering that it would be really cumbersome to remove an entire fore arm on Vader.

You guys think we'll get an empire and a Jedi Vader? They're pretty similar. I'd be fine with just Jedi

That's exactly it. ESB Vader is like a classic Bond villain, whereas ANH Vader is more like a henchman.

I grew up with ANH first, so that Vader has appeal for me beyond the 'type' or production limitations though. I also like how, at the time, it felt like Vader had risen up the ranks in ESB to become more of a commander than just "the Emperor's representative" as it felt in ANH.

I will get both, I'm sure.

I get that. It's kinda cool to think of Vader as a guy on the rise. But that was back when people knew nothing about Vader and thought his first name was "Darth.." I don't think we really got an idea of his importance until Empire in his meditation room when he contacts Palpatine. Also when looking at the whole saga with the books too, Vader's representation in ANH makes more sense to me. Especially his relationship with Tarkin.

I like how he got to do whatever he wanted and everyone was terrified of him. Except that prick on the Death Star that gets choked :lol

Also, knowing he is the Emperor's apprentice and a Sith Lord gives a different meaning to his actions. He isn't ladder climbing, he's just operating for his master. In part because of loyalty, but also fear, as the emperor can kill him at any time, and part of Vader hates him for that.

And I think calling Vader a Bond villain is kinda off. Most Bond villains were awful and make me cringe. Vader is one of the most intimidating and complex villains ever imo.

But yeah, if HT make a ESB/ROTJ Vader that tops the SS one (which is likely), I'll be all over it.

I meant it as a high compliment. Don't correct people so much. Remember, its only your opinion.

I agree with Wor in terms of 'Bond Villain' being complimentary...but if you want to make assertions as to the character: intimidating yes. Complex is a stretch. He was a scenery-chewing bad guy in each film with a capricious and wasteful management style, and a weird way of connecting with his long-lost son. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of now i'm passing on this and waiting for an EP6 version (even though i'm vaderless ATM) It's once pics come out that i'm worried.

Back