Hot Toys - MMS DX 11 - TDK: The Joker 2.0 Collectible Figure specs and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a problem with the screening, it's just enlightening to see their techniques. I've always wondered how they got the consistent detail like that. It's fascinating to me and frankly, so small, that you won't even see it with the naked eye.

To me it's no different than looking at the behind the scenes stuff on a movie. "Oh, that's how it's done"

I'm not upset that they've scanned a prototype and let a computer replicate the paint. But I do wish if they're going to automate something like that they wouldn't charge nearly 300 dollars.

Spoke with a rep from SS thru email...I keep getting a different answer out of those people than some ppl on this forum. ive mostly seen ppl saying they're being told February, yet the guy I talked with says March is when HT is shipping them to SS. WTF?

Here's the best example of what we're talking about when we say "print" and not hand painted,

8363940604_893c636531_b.jpg

That is a good picture for showing the pattern. I wonder if they did a print base, and hand painted over it. Parts of it look painted as per usual.

I don't have a problem with the screening, it's just enlightening to see their techniques. I've always wondered how they got the consistent detail like that. It's fascinating to me and frankly, so small, that you won't even see it with the naked eye.

:exactly: Hopefully.

Cool. The **** retentive gang arrives, just in time. :yess:

Weren't you just saying earlier that you weren't sure if you wanted it anymore?

I think it's noticable because they are very close up, high quality shots.
It oftens seems to be forgotten how physically small these things are when in hand.

That's a good point, one of which I'm keeping in mind.

Im okay with the screening personally. To hand paint each figure with all the details would take hours and drive up costs(increase price)...screening keeps it consistent and cheap and thats a-okay with me...

Spoke with a rep from SS thru email...I keep getting a different answer out of those people than some ppl on this forum. ive mostly seen ppl saying they're being told February, yet the guy I talked with says March is when HT is shipping them to SS. WTF?

I called sideshow and spoke directly with one of their CS people. This morning they had a note in their system that HT has confirmed this for Febtober. You can call them personally at 800-474-3746. If they give you a different answer, let us know.

I see exactly what everyone is talking about, but I think the print dots are a necessary evil to achieve the messed up paint app on a mass produced figure. The messed up make up looks better than it did on the Bank robber joker IMO. I think we could easily be looking at TFOY 2013.

It could also be that the white makeup on his face required that technique to give it a layered/textured look. Or even more simply, to make sure the makeup runs and smudges are consistent. If it wasn't, people here would be up in arms that so and so's Joker has a better smudge than theirs does.

OMG said this was his pick as best DX since DX06. I doubt he'd have been so effusive in his praise were the stippling obvious to the naked eye.

When I zoom these images out to 1:6 size I cannot see the pattern. I'm going to guess in hand you won't see it either unless you actively look for it.

I not upset that they've scanned a prototype and let a computer replicate the paint. But I do wish if they're going to automate something like that they wouldn't charge nearly 300 dollars.

Exactly.

If they were up front with it, I doubt many people would care. Who cares how it's done, as long as it looks good. But this is as cheap as it comes, especially when they're toted as hand painted. We all know that the production of these things are cheap as well, we've seen the behind the scenes production lines.

It's less costly to simply print and graft them out on the face as opposed to the common technique of painting them.

Now some people may call that nitpicking, but aren't these "high end collectibles" that keep pushing and pushing already high prices? I mean, these are techniques that Hasbro and Mattel use for their mass produced figures but we wouldn't dare allude that they're similar.

I see exactly what everyone is talking about, but I think the print dots are a necessary evil to achieve the messed up paint app on a mass produced figure. The messed up make up looks better than it did on the Bank robber joker IMO. I think we could easily be looking at TFOY 2013.

24671702.jpg

Back