Hot Toys - MMS179 - The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it needs to be acknowledged that every figure has it's limitations. Generally 1/6th figures are not very posable. Sure you can get Thor to hold his Hammer in the air (oh no you can't) or Batman to hold his EMP gun properly (you can't), Batman on the Batpod? cat woman on the Batpod (barely). Bane, boss pose..etc etc.. What can Keaton Batman actually do? Barely raise his arms? It's still one of my favourite HT figures ever.

The problem here is the property. Spiderman is by his very nature a mass of flying limbs and arms. This just can't live up to that which is unfortunate. I'm not excusing the weak shoulders though, but for me that has been a problem on several figures not just this.

This is a great Spiderman figure, just not a perfect one IMO. You can pose him, just not like the CG character in the movie. I'm ok with that though, I wouldn't be even slightly interested if this was fixed in a statue pose, no matter how iconic and cool it was.
I will never buy one of their Powerpose figures, I just don't see the point myself. But each to their own i guess.

Just a quick update and a note of hope...

...last week I ordered a loose body to mod it and solve the tight shoulder issue.

...well, happens it won't be necessary as the shoulders on that one move pretty well even though I'm still careful.

...so maybe it's from a second batch, and maybe the issue's been addressed! Or maybe it's just you have to be lucky and get a good one!

Just got my spare body from eBay.
revysy9e.jpg

2yhavyta.jpg

7a6ezyja.jpg

a7ehy5e3.jpg

You just need to be sure of a few things.
1. Make sure the figure is not cold straight out of the shipping box. Bring it to room temp before posing.
2. The shoulder joint to raise the arm forward and back are tight ratchet joints. You need to loosen the a bit before trying a full on arm extended forward or backward pose.
3. Grip the shoulder joint mechanism tight before wiggling it back and forth to loosen. Then slowly while gripping the shoulder move it backward 30 degrees and forward to straight up and down before attempting to move it forward at all.
4. Once it feels loosened some grip the shoulder tight so it does not move at all and slowly with pressure move the arm to a forward position at 30 degrees. Do this back and forth to loosen the joint before proceeding. Back 30 straight down forward 30.
5. Feeling brave? Test the shoulder by moving it backward 90 degrees then down and forward 90 degrees. After that feels a bit looser go for another 30 forward.
zezevenu.jpg

he6y7ura.jpg

mybytemu.jpg

ubejadeq.jpg

rube3yre.jpg

Keep in mind that these need to be warm before articulating. By maneuvering the joint in this fashion will allow you to get the stiffness out of the joint. It will pose easier after several "exercises" but always keep in mind how easy it could be to snap.

This figure is turning me on so much.

For real though, it's good to know that maybe he'll be okay after going through a few physical therapy sessions!

revysy9e.jpg

2yhavyta.jpg

7a6ezyja.jpg

a7ehy5e3.jpg

1. Make sure the figure is not cold straight out of the shipping box. Bring it to room temp before posing.
2. The shoulder joint to raise the arm forward and back are tight ratchet joints. You need to loosen the a bit before trying a full on arm extended forward or backward pose.
3. Grip the shoulder joint mechanism tight before wiggling it back and forth to loosen. Then slowly while gripping the shoulder move it backward 30 degrees and forward to straight up and down before attempting to move it forward at all.
4. Once it feels loosened some grip the shoulder tight so it does not move at all and slowly with pressure move the arm to a forward position at 30 degrees. Do this back and forth to loosen the joint before proceeding. Back 30 straight down forward 30.
5. Feeling brave? Test the shoulder by moving it backward 90 degrees then down and forward 90 degrees. After that feels a bit looser go for another 30 forward.
zezevenu.jpg

he6y7ura.jpg

Sounds like a lot of work to make this figure pose but thanks for the input and giving us hope that the figure can be posed without breaking it.

mybytemu.jpg

ubejadeq.jpg

rube3yre.jpg

Keep in mind that these need to be warm before articulating. By maneuvering the joint in this fashion will allow you to get the stiffness out of the joint. It will pose easier after several "exercises" but always keep in mind how easy it could be to snap.

Oh great, I thought you said by doing these exercises would get rid of this fragile problem. :thud:

I think it needs to be acknowledged that every figure has it's limitations. Generally 1/6th figures are not very posable. Sure you can get Thor to hold his Hammer in the air (oh no you can't) or Batman to hold his EMP gun properly (you can't), Batman on the Batpod? cat woman on the Batpod (barely). Bane, boss pose..etc etc.. What can Keaton Batman actually do? Barely raise his arms? It's still one of my favourite HT figures ever.

The problem here is the property. Spiderman is by his very nature a mass of flying limbs and arms. This just can't live up to that which is unfortunate. I'm not excusing the weak shoulders though, but for me that has been a problem on several figures not just this.

This is a great Spiderman figure, just not a perfect one IMO. You can pose him, just not like the CG character in the movie. I'm ok with that though, I wouldn't be even slightly interested if this was fixed in a statue pose, no matter how iconic and cool it was.
I will never buy one of their Powerpose figures, I just don't see the point myself. But each to their own i guess.

My beef is mainly with the delays. I know these figures will never be able to move like a real person would....hell, even the actors portraying these characters had trouble moving in them.

As for posing and all those bells and whistles, I never ran into any issues with stiff posing or breakage. NONE, especially with the latter. As long as I set some realistic expectations with the figure, it's all fine and dandy. It's a shame when a figure like Spider-Man has issues raising his arm due to probability of breakage....

...but in the end, it's just effin ridiculous with how long everyone had to wait for this figure. I wish the next person that interviews Howard chan has the ***** to ask him hard hitting questions like why the spike in prices, wtf is up with the delay on certain figures (ESPECIALLY this one), and why are HT becoming so arrogant with their fan base and complaints. Enough with the proverbial knob shining and back patting. Jee-zus!!:slap

My beef is mainly with the delays. I know these figures will never be able to move like a real person would....hell, even the actors portraying these characters had trouble moving in them.

Yeah hence why they mainly use CGI for Spiderman swing from building to building and fighting and dodging people.

As for posing and all those bells and whistles, I never ran into any issues with stiff posing or breakage. NONE, especially with the latter. As long as I set some realistic expectations with the figure, it's all fine and dandy. It's a shame when a figure like Spider-Man has issues raising his arm due to probability of breakage....

You obviously didn't own the old Medicom figures then. :lol

...but in the end, it's just effin ridiculous with how long everyone had to wait for this figure. I wish the next person that interviews Howard chan has the ***** to ask him hard hitting questions like why the spike in prices, wtf is up with the delay on certain figures (ESPECIALLY this one), and why are HT becoming so arrogant with their fan base and complaints. Enough with the proverbial knob shining and back patting. Jee-zus!!:slap

They are probably delayed because they have too many characters in the works, how many figures do they push out a year now?

I'm just curious about their Arkham City figures. I remember hearing about them about two years ago. Hot Toys announced them and, as far as I know, absolutely nothing has happened. No prototypes shown, no info, nothing. Are those still happening? Just seems weird that they do stuff like this. Announce figures, then drop them or leave them for over a year without anything happening.

Yeah hence why they mainly use CGI for Spiderman swing from building to building and fighting and dodging people.

Believe it or not, in ASM, a lot of the shots you'd think are cgi were in fact done for real, same thing with MoS. I love that. Brings a level of realism to scene.

QUOTE=Darkavatar;6277736]
You obviously didn't own the old Medicom figures then. :lol
[/quote]

Lol I do own medicom figures. Medicom Jedi Luke was my first 1/6 figure.

QUOTE=Darkavatar;6277736]
They are probably delayed because they have too many characters in the works, how many figures do they push out a year now?[/QUOTE]

Well, medicom also have a bunch of licenses and they manage to release theirs either on time, early, or slightly delayed.

revysy9e.jpg

2yhavyta.jpg

7a6ezyja.jpg

a7ehy5e3.jpg

zezevenu.jpg

he6y7ura.jpg

Good to see that you can get the arms in a raised position with the proper movement techniques as I figured.

Mine should be here in a day or so. I never shy away from challenged figures with tricky articulation and I'm not about too.

When I get mine, I'm going to pose the hell out of him! :lecture

I just want to know why Jim is sitting in a car with a tarp over the windshield? Does someone need to come and rescue you?.

Good to see that you can get the arms in a raised position with the proper movement techniques as I figured.

Mine should be here in a day or so. I never shy away from challenged figures with tricky articulation and I'm not about too.

When I get mine, I'm going to pose the hell out of him! :lecture

Please do report on how that goes:lecture

Please do report on how that goes:lecture

I'll show it in my pics!

don't worry I'll prove once and for all that HT's is still king in my book as far as collecting figures for detail, articulation and design to the actual movie character! :lecture

I'll show it in my pics!

don't worry I'll prove once and for all that HT's is still king in my book as far as collecting figures for detail, articulation and design to the actual movie character! :lecture

Certainly look forward to your pics and poses!

Believe it or not, in ASM, a lot of the shots you'd think are cgi were in fact done for real, same thing with MoS. I love that. Brings a level of realism to scene.

Not saying you are wrong but for TASM I find that very hard to believe. Looks like I better so some research on that movie then. I can usually tell CGI a mile away like those drawn planes and helicopters in white house down. Guess I was not paying much attention to this movie because I didn't like it but I like the look of the modern suit.

Lol I do own medicom figures. Medicom Jedi Luke was my first 1/6 figure.

Then you should know that Medicom figures were known for being very fragile like that comic Spiderman, it broke just by moving any body part if you were not careful. Some already came broken in the box. Glad that this is not the case now as Medicom figures don't seem to be fragile anymore.

Well, medicom also have a bunch of licenses and they manage to release theirs either on time, early, or slightly delayed.

Yeah but look at their paint jobs and head sculpts as far as realism and likeness goes compared to Hot Toys. Nuff said really.

Back