Hot Toys - MMS179 - The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
52b1f122-b897-4e2c-aaeb-ceca2a02f71f.jpg

:hi5::clap

I still think HT's needs to take this idea and roll with a Toby redo. After all if they can make 5 to 6 versions of the Bale Batman, I don't see a redesign on the Spidey suit out of the question :lecture

C'mon HT's make it happen! They can use the Spider-man 2 design because that was my favorite suit and film of Raimi's trilogy!

Nice pics bro. That's what I was planning on doing. Can you post a pic with the Toby head on TASM body next to cap or wolverine?

I was toying with the idea of making him taller to match Garfield's height. I peeled back the boot from the calf was pleasantly surprised.
a8uhy2eq.jpg

4u8ynaga.jpg

vy2ygu6u.jpg

It's a lot like the other spidey designs except the whole boot is not rubber under the fabric like the SM3 figs. It's hard plastic. The only part that's rubber is the foot and ankle. It's glued onto the end of the ankle which actually inhibits posing. It tends to prong back on its own.
utu8ehag.jpg

jane8e3y.jpg

nu9yma3a.jpg
you can also separate the lower leg from the knee. The fabric for the legs is actualy tucked under the connecting pieces. There is plenty of fabric to pull some out and make spidey taller if you want.

Last edited:
The foot and ankle have a foot peg that allows for posing. Very similar to any other hot toy. All one would need to do to extend his height a bit, say 1/4 inch so he'd be 5'10.5", would be to put a longer foot peg into the foot. Then just pull some of the fabric out from under the knee and drop it down to cover the gap on the shin.
nytemeqy.jpg

4e3yqyvu.jpg

jy4aqyne.jpg

The foot now has much more pose-ability that it's separated from the ankle. You can twist it from side to side and it stays I'm place better once put in a position.
2ehysa7u.jpg

ugeny9et.jpg

sapy5u5y.jpg

I was toying with the idea of making him taller to match Garfield's height. I peeled back the boot from the calf was pleasantly surprised.
a8uhy2eq.jpg

4u8ynaga.jpg

vy2ygu6u.jpg

It's a lot like the other spidey designs except the whole boot is not rubber under the fabric like the SM3 figs. It's hard plastic. The only part that's rubber is the foot and ankle. It's glued onto the end of the ankle which actually inhibits posing. It tends to prong back on its own.
utu8ehag.jpg

jane8e3y.jpg

nu9yma3a.jpg
you can also separate the lower leg from the knee. The fabric for the legs is actualy tucked under the connecting pieces. There is plenty of fabric to pull some out and make spidey taller if you want.

Thanks JJ , now I just have to find a longer foot peg :wave

Okay fellow freaks this is worked for me..

When people think of this piece they think Uhhh..The Shoulders!

Why HTS..WHY!!!!

The first thing I thought there is got to be way, no way would HTs screw up this! I decided to hold it in my hands and see just what kind of shoulders am I dealing with then it came to me..You know what this is the shoulder system of the DX Luke!

So this what I did,

what you want to do is use your fingers like a makeshift wrench.

Every movement you make grip the shoulders carefully and apply pressure as you turn the joint, you will feel the movement almost like when you move a wrench to tighten or untighten, in a way you can feel your fingers move like a wrench. As you turn the shoulders grip and release the pressure, that's how you feel the joint moving with the suit's fabric

See..upward movement no harm

Wow Ma Look what I did!

Same with the sides

Look at this extension..

Guess what once this process works for you, you can easily do this movement

And this

What's left..Well...

And...

See nothing to it!

My thoughts..this is a solid figure absolutely, everything feels solid with no loose joints or even a plastic feeling to it. I feel it has a heaviness to it which is a good thing, but you can still pose him in the craziest positions IMO without a sense that he's going to keel over or feel loose like some TT bodies in the past.

Every pose I attempted have held out well, the boots have a nice weight to it.

I'll say it again I love the shoulders because it gives more depth and range to the articulation flow of a human. Believe it or not I like the wrist pegs and I usually hate the HTs wrist pegs, but the soft vinyl material on these gloves are perfect for popping on and off. I hated switching the hands on the Toby figure, not so with this. Kudos to Ht's for fixing this issue.

One thing that needs to be perfected is the neck movement. the head joint is fine but the neck pegs have no tilt or movement whatsoever, meaning you can only tilt the head so much, if HT's does the ASM2 version, they need to adjust the neck so it at least pivots or tilts.

Other than that, I can't say enough of how great a piece this is to add your collection.

For a spidey, I think as a whole it's fantastic, Height is not an issue for me, he's spidey not Superman after all, I'll look into JediJim's mod idea but for now no worries.

The only mark that doesn't make this my favorite Spidey is the source..Not a fan of Garfield, and probably won't be. The film itself is great, but not one of my all time favorites.

Last edited:
Good questions all.

Like I said, pinch with pressure the rotating joint, you will feel the joint as you touch it and then release the pressure during the movement slowly, again what you want to feel is like your fingers acting like a vice or a wrench, you will literally feel the joint turning with your fingers applying the pressure and movements.

I guarantee if you do it slowly, you feel the arm making an action, even a sound as the same sound or reaction you get when you use a wrench to tighten or loosen something.

Best practice I can recommend is if you have the DX Bespin Luke..There you go, I'm 90% positive that ASM uses the same shoulder system.

With this in mind..Practice with Luke

1. Shoulder joint to start ( Exactly where finger is resting, on the proper joint, again, when you touch the spidey shoulder through the fabric you will know the right joint to move)

2. Grip the shoulder while applying the pressure and release (the wrench method)

(I'm right-handed so I shot this with my left hand, naturally you will use the proper fingers)

Extension you want and need to feel (Pay close attention to my fingers, and where I'm gripping, notice that I'm not gripping the shoulder blade, however with the other hand you want to brace the shoulder blade from moving)

Side view extension

To flex extension in the front..follow same steps, although no pressure needed.

Back extension

Last edited:
^You don't have to extend the shoulder out.... It's right there for you to hold on as spidey's body lacks the ABS exterior torso holding the shoulder assembly.

It's not the standard slim body.. Extending the shoulders out does stop the shoulder assemble from stessing the one joint.

Last edited:
Back