1/6 Hot Toys MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Remy. Means a lot coming from you. Might just repaint my other Superman figure like yours.

You're welcome man. :1-1:
I really like how yours turned out. You did an amazing job!!!
I think you should paint the other one. So then you'll have both screen accurate black suit, and the regular suit. :)

Ha ha...gotcha...sure, no prob.
Here's a copy and paste of my post:

Here's what I used

I first used a surfacer black, mixed with thinner.
Painted the suit, then let it dry for a couple of hours.

then I used this Gaia 044 clear blue, mixed with thinner...then put a little EX-07 Silver in it.

Paint thinner

For the v1 belt, I used vallejo acrylic "brass" color.

for V2 belt, I used "copper"

Remy,

WHat colors did you use on the wrist guards and the Boots/Symbol? If I can ask?

The black suit that you painted irok84 is sick! Did you paint the glyph on the base with the black and silver motif as well? What this would really look good with is actually a base that is a pile of skulls, like in the film.

I've wondered if Hot Toys ever planned on perhaps releasing a MoS version of this suit, similar to the way they came out with the evil Superman from Superman III.

In my opinion, I think the MoS line is one of the best lines that Hot Toys has produced that I've seen. The head sculpts are immaculate, the bodies they used are solid and well put together, and the texture of the fabric they used for the suits was spot on to how it seemed to look in the film. I thought the suits they portrayed Kryptonians as having in the film were very ornate, almost seeming like they were based on a mixture of having a medieval and Roman Empire type motif, and Hot Toys nailed them.

It still baffles me though how the MoS Superman figure doesn't seem to be a very popular seller from what I've seen?

The black suit that you painted irok84 is sick! Did you paint the glyph on the base with the black and silver motif as well? What this would really look good with is actually a base that is a pile of skulls, like in the film.

I've wondered if Hot Toys ever planned on perhaps releasing a MoS version of this suit, similar to the way they came out with the evil Superman from Superman III.

In my opinion, I think the MoS line is one of the best lines that Hot Toys has produced that I've seen. The head sculpts are immaculate, the bodies they used are solid and well put together, and the texture of the fabric they used for the suits was spot on to how it seemed to look in the film. I thought the suits they portrayed Kryptonians as having in the film were very ornate, almost seeming like they were based on a mixture of having a medieval and Roman Empire type motif, and Hot Toys nailed them.

It still baffles me though how the MoS Superman figure doesn't seem to be a very popular seller from what I've seen?

Because it had an an extreme mixed review.
Most people either love it a lot, or hated it.
I personally love it, and is one of my all time favorite comic book movie.
I think also for me, not only did I think it met the hype, but it surpassed it. It was even better than I expected.

If the general consensus is an an overwhelming positive, like Guardian's of the Galaxy where everyone seem to enjoy it,
I think we would have had more figures like GotG.
Its unfortunate cause I agree with you, they could have released more figures from this movie.
And the HT MOS is one of the best figures they've made.
JUst look at the Faora thread constantly getting bumped cause the ones who loved the movie want her character.

Because it had an an extreme mixed review.
Most people either love it a lot, or hated it.
I personally love it, and is one of my all time favorite comic book movie.
I think also for me, not only did I think it met the hype, but it surpassed it. It was even better than I expected.

If the general consensus is an an overwhelming positive, like Guardian's of the Galaxy where everyone seem to enjoy it,
I think we would have had more figures like GotG.
Its unfortunate cause I agree with you, they could have released more figures from this movie.
And the HT MOS is one of the best figures they've made.
JUst look at the Faora thread constantly getting bumped cause the ones who loved the movie want her character.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured.

I actually don't recall ever speaking to one person who has said, "Eh, it was alright." I have spoken to people who said after initially seeing it, they weren't too impressed, but after watching it again, they understood it better and it grew on them. There seems to be a definite line of demarcation though, in the sense either you simply loved it or you detested it, as you mentioned. I agree with you though, I think it's actually one of the single best comic book movies to date. What's funny is even before this film broke ground around late 2010 early 2011, I was always telling people that I felt Superman should be reintroduced to society in the exact way that Snyder, Goyer, Nolan & Co. ended up doing. What's funny as well is I think this film pays homage to and gives several nods to Superman's original roots in several more ways than any other Superman movie did. In my opinion, all of the criticisms of this film were all very easily refutable. All of the answers to the criticisms were answered in the film. Maybe not necessarily spelled out for you so to speak, but they were there if you paid close attention either in bits of dialogue, or just observing the surroundings in a particular scene.

Based on the preview trailer so far, I definitely like the direction they're going with Superman in the upcoming BvS. Some love him and see him as a God, some see him as a savior, others despise him and want him to "go home", and some see him as just a "guy trying to do the right thing".

But yeah, that makes sense as to why they're not a hot seller. Obviously non-Superman fans would pass on it, but I figured that a lot of true Superman fans would be purchasing it. But as you said, being that the film was pretty much divided down the middle among fans of Supes, that would even further curtail potential buyers.

Had the current ones been better sellers due to the film being more a consensus fan favorite like GotG as you said, they could have made so many more figures from this film. Black suited Superman, Faora, maybe a Lois, and another version of Zod in his Kryptonian suit without the armor, for instance.

I'm someone who doesn't love or hate MOS. Ultimately, I think it got more right then wrong, but some of the things it got wrong are pretty tough to ignore. Namely Clark letting Jonathan die. I just don't think that's something Superman or Clark would ever do. I also don't like the fact that Clark never really seemed to come to any sort of conclusion on his own. He was forced into action by Zod, and while I think it's reasonable to assume he would have revealed himself to the world eventually on his own, we should have seen that moment in the film.

I'm someone who doesn't love or hate MOS. Ultimately, I think it got more right then wrong, but some of the things it got wrong are pretty tough to ignore. Namely Clark letting Jonathan die. I just don't think that's something Superman or Clark would ever do. I also don't like the fact that Clark never really seemed to come to any sort of conclusion on his own. He was forced into action by Zod, and while I think it's reasonable to assume he would have revealed himself to the world eventually on his own, we should have seen that moment in the film.

Good points.

Jonathan's death on MoS is something I spent some time digesting and thinking about. Ultimately, I think the fact that Clark indeed could have saved Jonathan, is what they did get right with the scene, and why it worked.

This particular article juxtaposes the death scenes of Jonathan in the original 1978 Superman and in MoS, and why each one works and is very fitting for the theme of each film. It is a very good read, and if you get a chance, check it out.

In Defense Of The Now Infamous 'Tornado Scene' In MAN OF STEEL

I also have to disagree with Clark not coming to any sort of conclusion on his own. He was indeed forced into action so to speak by Zod, so conflicted, he sought advice from the pastor. That conversation went as follows:

Pastor: Do you know why they want you?
Clark: No. But this is General Zod. Even if I surrender, there's no guarantee he'll keep his word. But, if there's a chance I can save Earth by turning myself in, shouldn't I take it?

(Clark was apparently thinking that one of his options was simply quietly surrendering himself to Zod on his own and thus saving Earth, because Zod had stated that he would spare Earth if Clark/Kal was handed over, obviously not knowing what Zod's true intentions were at this point)

Pastor: What does your gut tell you?
Clark: Zod can't be trusted. (Clark dubious on whether Zod would actually keep his word and simply leave if he surrendered) The problem is, I'm not sure the people of Earth can be either.

Clark then gets up to leave.

Pastor: Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith first, and the trust part will come later.

This is the pivotal scene in my opinion where with simply a bit of advice (which we all need once in awhile), Clark came to the conclusion on his own that he was indeed going to reveal himself to the world. Still somewhat on his own terms, being that he was also contemplating not revealing himself at all and surrendering himself to Zod and thus, helping Earth if Zod simply left Earth alone. However, as his gut told him, Zod couldn't be trusted, and had he simply turned himself in, Earth would have undoubtedly been the new Krypton.

I still think it beats the helicopter rescue where everyone sees a man literally fly up and grab Lois, and nobody thinks anything of it. As if it's the most natural thing. I can't really think of any other way that would be considered a fitting way for him to reveal himself to the world on a large scale.

My one issue with MOS is actually the Kent death scene.
And my issue is not with Clark not saving his dad, because he was gonna do it, but hesitated when Jonathan signaled no.
And I think he didnt mean to see his dad die...he hesitated cause he is conflicted on what to do...but then its too late...
My issue with this is with Jonathan thinking, its not time yet, so let me die.
So basically, its like Jonathan has a death wish.
So what if the timing isnt probably the right time, you have a wife and son that still needs you.
You have a son that still needs guidance. And youre gonna selfishly let your wife become a widow cause you didnt think the timing is right?
That's my one big issue with the movie.

I love watching the MOS quite a bit to to check out the action sequence, to see the cool costume, etc.
But I have a hard time watching this scene so I always fast forward it.

But pretty much, I love everything else.
Two of the big critism I hear all the time is the Too much destruction at Metropolis fight, and the Superman killing Zod.
I have no problem with either one.
In fact, I'm really glad that Snyder didnt pull any punches with the Fight scene with Zod, because you have to Supermen fighting...two gods fighting in a city...of course the destruction is catastrophic beyond belief. These are two gods fighting in our little planet.

And on Superman killing Zod, many times, people say, well superman is a good guy and he doesnt kill so that was completely wrong.
Superman is not an anti hero like some of the cliche bad ass Heroes that we have nowadays where they just kill and shoot as they please.
Superman is still the good guy that tries to save the people of earth...but if his only choice is to kill, he would do it.
Not because he is a bad ASS...but its because its his only choice to save someone.
I myself wasnt expecting that scene, so when it happened...I was like Whoa...it caught me by surprise.
But I understood why he did it. And I love that scene where he screams after killing Zod...I thought that was a powerful scene.

I also thought that Henry was perfectly casted like Christopher Reeve.
Both have a good natured person look to them, but they also have a presense that they are someone you do not want to cross with.

My one issue with MOS is actually the Kent death scene.
And my issue is not with Clark not saving his dad, because he was gonna do it, but hesitated when Jonathan signaled no.
And I think he didnt mean to see his dad die...he hesitated cause he is conflicted on what to do...but then its too late...
My issue with this is with Jonathan thinking, its not time yet, so let me die.
So basically, its like Jonathan has a death wish.
So what if the timing isnt probably the right time, you have a wife and son that still needs you.
You have a son that still needs guidance. And youre gonna selfishly let your wife become a widow cause you didnt think the timing is right?
That's my one big issue with the movie.

I love watching the MOS quite a bit to to check out the action sequence, to see the cool costume, etc.
But I have a hard time watching this scene so I always fast forward it.

But pretty much, I love everything else.
Two of the big critism I hear all the time is the Too much destruction at Metropolis fight, and the Superman killing Zod.
I have no problem with either one.
In fact, I'm really glad that Snyder didnt pull any punches with the Fight scene with Zod, because you have to Supermen fighting...two gods fighting in a city...of course the destruction is catastrophic beyond belief. These are two gods fighting in our little planet.

And on Superman killing Zod, many times, people say, well superman is a good guy and he doesnt kill so that was completely wrong.
Superman is not an anti hero like some of the cliche bad ass Heroes that we have nowadays where they just kill and shoot as they please.
Superman is still the good guy that tries to save the people of earth...but if his only choice is to kill, he would do it.
Not because he is a bad ASS...but its because its his only choice to save someone.
I myself wasnt expecting that scene, so when it happened...I was like Whoa...it caught me by surprise.
But I understood why he did it. And I love that scene where he screams after killing Zod...I thought that was a powerful scene.

I also thought that Henry was perfectly casted like Christopher Reeve.
Both have a good natured person look to them, but they also have a presense that they are someone you do not want to cross with.

My sentiments as well Remy.

I see your point with Jonathan's death scene. Although I personally didn't have an issue with it, and I thought the intended message in it was very powerful. My sentiments regarding it are exactly that as what is described in the article in the link I posted. The entire theme of the movie was supposed to be "sacrifice", so the way he died in this rendition fit with that theme.

Aside from that, like you said, the biggest two complaints and criticisms of MoS was of course, the killing of General Zod, and they felt Superman did absolutely nothing to try and limit the amount of casualties and destruction in Metropolis. And you are absolutely right in your analysis of it. Like I said, a lot of these criticisms are easily refutable, and I think a lot of people missed the point of this film. This was intended to be a movie about Clark/Kal becoming Superman; a fledgling Superman if you will. He hadn't even been "Superman" for a full 48 hours before he was essentially tasked with being the only hope Earth had from total genocide of the entire human race.

To add to your analysis and echo your sentiments, as far as Supes being the cause of the destruction and too many casualties in Metropolis, I usually quote General Zod in this case just before he engaged Superman in the epic, final climactic battle.

"I'm going to make them suffer Kal. These humans you've adopted, I'm going to take them all from you one by one."

Zod WANTS as much collateral damage as possible. Superman foiled his plan to turn Earth into Krypton, so now his only option for revenge was to kill and destroy as much human life as possible. He essentially just told Superman to stop him if he can. What was Superman supposed to do? Ask him to step outside the city into a desert, or try and lure him out of the city by flying into a desert, similar to what he did in Superman II? In Superman II, Zod and Co. wanted to kill Superman. The objective was different. In MoS, Zod wanted to eliminate human life in revenge for his defeat of his initial intended plan. He wanted to stay in the city, and Superman trying to lure him to an open area would have done nothing but leave the people on their own to try and combat Zod. As you also said, you essentially had two super powered Gods fighting in a major metropolitan area. I recall someone stating that would essentially be like putting two bulls inside of a glass store, and expecting nothing to get broken. It's not going to happen. And as for all of those buildings that got destroyed, many of them also got evacuated while Zod was deploying his world engine and attempting to terraform. At the point the final battle took place, many of them were likely vacant. Also, there were instances where after Zod shed his armor, that Supes attempted to keep the fight in the air. He punched Zod in the air, and even flew him out to outer space. Once Zod got away, he brought the fight right back to where he wanted it.

As General Zod told him: "I was bred to be a warrior Kal, trained my entire life. Where did you train, on a farm?" Superman was only one man with no prior military training, possessing no finely tuned fighting skills. All he knows is that he has great power and strength, and his first task after just receiving his suit is facing the army of his home world, who theoretically possess far more greater combat skill and tactical knowledge than he does. He was doing the best he could.

As far as him killing Zod, like you said, Superman's first objective is to protect human life. If his only choice of eliminating evil so good can prevail is by killing what is evil, he will do it. Again, he is intended to be a fledgling Superman in this film. In literally an instant, he was tasked with playing judge, jury, and executioner all at once. He begged with Zod. He pleaded for him to stop. Zod refused. He literally had a second to make the decision he did. And also, at this point, what sort of prison on Earth would be able to contain Zod? What else is he supposed to do with him? As you said though, I love how he screamed after doing it. It was indeed very powerful, and shows that he recognizes the magntude of what he just did. Not only did he kill, but he also killed off what he believes as being the last remaining tie to his home world.

As much as I love the Reeve films, I do think Zod's death scene in this carried much more weight, power and emotion than it did in Superman II. Where he first stripped him of his powers, made him mortal, crushed his hand, smirked at him, then threw him to what was presumed to be his death in the icy depths of the Fortress of Solitude. Everyone who seems to slam MoS for Supes killing Zod in it, seems to forget what happened in Superman II. And them attempting to use the excuse that he didn't kill Zod in other unused versions of this scene, is a straw man argument to me. In the final, theatrical released version, he killed Zod.

In addition, I noticed another criticism some people had is the scene where Superman speared General Zod in mid flight when Zod was threatening Martha for the codex. The, "You think you can threaten my mother?!" scene. Again, the "disregard for people" that Supes allegedly had when he speared Zod in mid flight with as much force as he could muster, carried him across the cornfield and then plowed through the gas station in Smallville that was apparently on the other side of the cornfield. Up until this point, Clark had never exerted any of his energy or force into anything. He had been taught his entire life to hold back after being bullied by the likes of Kenny Braverman and Pete Ross, and not to mention the trucker at the diner. Now, for the first time in his life, finally, he had good reason and a target to summon all of his energy from years pent up frustration of being told to hold back. It's logical to think that in a situation like this, one would naturally be a little over zealous.

Like you said, Henry, like Christopher, was an excellent choice for the role. Good natured, but definitely someone you would not want to make angry.

Amazing looking repaints. Makes me wish I picked up a couple of extras when they were on crazy discounts, so I could commission some of you guys :wink1:

Shame sideshow sold out of these now, but ultimately good for the line. I shall have to wait for BvS.

Agree on all points Silverstar.
I commend Snyder for having the balls to be gutsy in some of his decisions in the movie.
But of course, for those who dont agree with Snyder's gutsy decisions, its easy to see how you can also not like the movie.

Amazing looking repaints. Makes me wish I picked up a couple of extras when they were on crazy discounts, so I could commission some of you guys :wink1:

Shame sideshow sold out of these now, but ultimately good for the line. I shall have to wait for BvS.

Yeah, I was really shocked when some of these were going for just a little over $120 with the huge discount.
Havent seen HT prices like that in years. And the fact that I think this is one of the best Hot Toys made, it was a steal.

Is the MoS Supes only available on the secondary market now?

I know at one point, I think he was down to roughly 179 on SS. Did he get even lower than that? I recently looked on eBay and a lot of them seem to be selling around the 210-225 range when I looked last week out of curiosity.

I got mine as a Christmas gift last year from my brother, who got a steal for a brand new unopened one off of eBay for 50 bucks. The seller didn't have a reserve price and it was simply just to the highest bidder.

Like Remy stated and I stated before, I think the entire MoS line (all 3 of them) are some of the best figures HT has produced. I haven't found any flaws with these figures that I think could have been done better. The head sculpts, the suits, all right down to the boxes. I think the boxes for the MoS line are the best HT boxes I've seen. I love how it has the feel of the texture of the suits, the murals of the arctic, Zod's main ship over Metropolis and Krypton for Supes, Zod and Jor-El respectively, and the magnetic lid they have so you can unlatch it and easily view the figure inside.

Is the MoS Supes only available on the secondary market now?

I know at one point, I think he was down to roughly 179 on SS. Did he get even lower than that? I recently looked on eBay and a lot of them seem to be selling around the 210-225 range when I looked last week out of curiosity.

I got mine as a Christmas gift last year from my brother, who got a steal for a brand new unopened one off of eBay for 50 bucks. The seller didn't have a reserve price and it was simply just to the highest bidder.

Like Remy stated and I stated before, I think the entire MoS line (all 3 of them) are some of the best figures HT has produced. I haven't found any flaws with these figures that I think could have been done better. The head sculpts, the suits, all right down to the boxes. I think the boxes for the MoS line are the best HT boxes I've seen. I love how it has the feel of the texture of the suits, the murals of the arctic, Zod's main ship over Metropolis and Krypton for Supes, Zod and Jor-El respectively, and the magnetic lid they have so you can unlatch it and easily view the figure inside.

Yeah, Sideshow had a huge sale where they marked down the price considerably, plus a huge discount code, plus free shipping.
I think it came down to a little over $120 shipped.
I already had two MOS, so I had to pass.

I would say eventhough mine is heavily modded, the one mod that is strongly recommended is the cape mod.
The difference is night and day cause unmodded, he looked like he's too buffed, cause the stock cape makes him look
like he has huge traps.
But replacing the mod flattens the shoulder area that makes him look proportional.
He still looks great stock, but replacing the cape makes a considerable difference.

Back