Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just for the record :)
Im not stating my opinion is the right one. ROTJ Luke was always MY Luke, MY introduction to the world of Star Wars, so to me this is the quality figure I want. To each their own.
I also tried really hard to make myself also want the SS DX because of my love of my character, but couldn't get past the face. I'm honestly shocked (not saying I'm right though) that some feel it's a more accurate facial Luke. I'm not seeing it at all.

I've always thought that there's a bit of a cycle with this board and HT figures:

1. Figure announced - "OMG it looks so amazing, that prototype is just spot on, well done HT, a true masterpiece! Day one preorder!"
2. Figure shown at cons close to release - "Something seems a little off. I can't put my finger on it, the blogger photos on release will ease my mind."
3. Figure released - "WTF is HT doing OMFG this company is a joke I hope they go out of business they're ruined my most anticipated figure of this year"
4. Figure shown in early photos/videos - "Well that looks a lot better than the blogger photos on release. Maybe it was the lighting in those photos. I guess I'll wait and see mine when it arrives."
5. Figure in hand - "I love this figure. I have loved it since it was announced and this will be a centerpiece of my collection, well done HT, a masterpiece!"

We go through this cycle with so many figures that come out. We should be shifting to phase step 4 shortly as more people get their figures and futz with them a bit.

Trust me, some of these photos make the figure look horrible, and some of these photos make the figure look pretty good. Lack of extra gloved hands aside, it's possible maybe the outfit just needs some work upon unboxing and all will be fine. I thought about cancelling mine and ordering ROTS Obi-Wan with those funds instead, but really, it's too soon to be freaking out. Let's wait a bit longer and see some more in hand photos before we reach the consensus that HT dropped the ball on this figure.

And to those who think SSC will be better than this...I have to assume this is your first rodeo with SSC vs. HT in terms of product quality. C'mon.

:clap

Im not stating my opinion is the right one. ROTJ Luke was always MY Luke, MY introduction to the world of Star Wars, so to me this is the quality figure I want. To each their own.
I also tried really hard to make myself also want the SS DX because of my love of my character, but couldn't get past the face. I'm honestly shocked (not saying I'm right though) that some feel it's a more accurate facial Luke. I'm not seeing it at all.

Jedi Luke was the first Kenner figure my dad bought me in 1983. My first Star Wars figure. I can't wait to add this to my collection, to complete that nostalgic circle.

SS looks to be more of an idealized caricature. But the way they sculpted him really nails how he looked in parts of that movie. Hot Toys are the better sculptors, but Hamill looks a bit young and soft in their sculpt. The mouth doesn't help either. Both sculpts have their positives and negatives. If SS came out like the proto I'd be very happy.

The other thing you have to worry about with the sideshow version is the fact that they have tailored to what body? Sideshow is very inconsistent with their body sizes for Luke. This could be a completely over sized body compared to the hot toys body, still be too baggy and we’re back in the same boat.

It's a good point - both SSC Luke Hoth and SSC Luke Snowspeeder came on bodies that were noticeably too tall for Luke. Those outfits you could work with on a new shorter body, but the black Jedi outfit is a different story.

My hope was that the Tarkin tailoring was going to be the first step in a mini evolution for Hot Toys. The thinness of the fabric (it was like they took full-scale fabric and pressed it to actually become 1/6 of the thickness), and their use of adhesive in place of actual stitches in several areas, was absolutely brilliant. And the seamless folds and hems were done without adding much bulk. I think the ingenious Tarkin tailoring goes a long, long way to making that figure look like a mini human. I was hoping that HT would end up using similar techniques and methods for ROTJ Luke (and other figures whose characters had form-fitting costumes). Instead, this Luke got a more traditional tailoring approach. Maybe the problem would have been in limiting dynamic posing options (though using a slightly stretchier fabric might have eased that problem).

The padding on OT Luke figures will always be a mystery (and frustration) to me, but even so, a Tarkin-like tailoring job would have gone a long way to taking Jedi Luke to the next level, IMO. Just imagine how much closer the Tarkin-style approach would have been to simulating the seamless, form-fitting look we see here.

Would you all have been okay with a little less posing flexibility (like with the Tarkin figure)? Or, is the option of dynamic posing more important?

Yeah, I think this is something people are forgetting - the Jedi outfit is one that Luke does a ton of extreme battle/action poses in. Not sure how you'd do a skin-tight outfit that could also accomodate arms-over-shoulders and splayed-out-legs type poses without things going awry. Maybe using a lycra type material, but then people woould complain it was lycra type material and doing Flashdance jokes.:lol

Considering the hairpiece is removable they could have thrown in a hair sculpt like this as well with not much effort to easily enable one of the more classic looks.....

View attachment 408909

View attachment 408910

That figure is wearing a glove! My eyes! They’re burning!!!

Working on my own custom Rancor Pit bone by KFC. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Extra Crispy
06eb3c32152bc355728fab2456705748.jpg

e18cbb361be2589f521d1a6cd8301341.jpg

No wonder Luke looks fat. Trans fats are a killer. Maybe that’s why he took off for a vegan and dairy diet in the grassy hills!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think this is something people are forgetting - the Jedi outfit is one that Luke does a ton of extreme battle/action poses in. Not sure how you'd do a skin-tight outfit that could also accomodate arms-over-shoulders and splayed-out-legs type poses without things going awry. Maybe using a lycra type material, but then people woould complain it was lycra type material and doing Flashdance jokes.:lol

:exactly: I will take articulation over a slightly loose outfit anyday . Besides people are forgetting they can give this figure three different looks

Full Tunic
Jedi Robe
Final Emperor throne room

So it’s not saying he has to look puffy all the time

SSC version looks great and I did order that as well, but no matter what they do, the articulated body always fails to a HT TT. As an articulated guru collector IMO will always come first if the two figures are similar, which for the most part are.

What is your personal favorite look?

I love all three and glad to have them but I’ll mostly have it in the throne room white exposed look. Followed up by jabba’s palace. I’d probably never display the sail barge look.

I tried to pass on it but I thought it looked so good I had to buy. I guess I’m also in the small minority. Lot of versatility with this figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your personal favorite look?

I love all three and glad to have them but I’ll mostly have it in the throne room white exposed look. Followed up by jabba’s palace. I’d probably never display the sail barge look.

It’s interesting but I’m the opposite. My favorite look was the sail barge. I loved how he looked in the tunic and if you compared it to all the other Jedi featured in all the movies so far , that garb was one of a kind and made Luke look different from other Jedi. :lecture

The sail barge was also my favorite part of the film and when we were able to see Luke be the most dynamic while everyone was together .

My least favorite would be Endor poncho. Not a fan of the helmet. The robe was typical Jedi, but it was a good look but it was mostly talking

Oh BTW not a fan of the tunic with the utility belt look like how it is packed suppossidly. Prefer the belt covered

It’s interesting but I’m the opposite. My favorite look was the sail barge. I loved how he looked in the tunic and if you compared it to all the other Jedi featured in all the movies so far , that garb was one of a kind and made Luke look different from other Jedi. :lecture

The sail barge was also my favorite part of the film and when we were able to see Luke be the most dynamic while everyone was together .

My least favorite would be Endor poncho. Not a fan of the helmet. The robe was typical Jedi, but it was a good look but it was mostly talking

Oh BTW not a fan of the tunic with the utility belt look like how it is packed suppossidly. Prefer the belt covered

Sail barge was my favorite scene too. Who wouldnt like Jedi Luke at his peak of power and on killing sprees mode :lightsabe

Im going to display him fighting with Boba Fett ROTJ

Tunic luke wo a doubt, followed by robe look.

The whole tunic thing sort of mimics vaders suit look to me.

Lest fav was the poncho endor thing. I could have done with alot less endor in general in that movie since i was a teen when that movie came out.

NM tunic luke makes the body suit look less puffy in the shots we have seen where non tunic look he looks a bit thick.

In the movie I like the stripped down all-black Jedi Luke the best.

But on the shelf, I'll likely have everything on him -- as he appeared arriving at Jabba's palace. Hood down though.

The benefit of ill-fitting clothes is that it makes that decision a whole lot easier. :)

Sail barge was my favorite scene too. Who wouldnt like Jedi Luke at his peak of power and on killing sprees mode :lightsabe

Im going to display him fighting with Boba Fett ROTJ

When I first saw ROTJ in the theater back in the day, I remember this moment made me realize Luke has become such a badass

I’m glad they made this slash effect with this figure

Can’t wait to see him displayed with Boba..wish I got Boba :(

This is still to this day my favorite rewind moment and will forever be

In the movie I like the stripped down all-black Jedi Luke the best.

But on the shelf, I'll likely have everything on him -- as he appeared arriving at Jabba's palace. Hood down though.

The benefit of ill-fitting clothes is that it makes that decision a whole lot easier. :)

I still can't believe you wrote:

The Sarlacc pit is one of the things I've come to really dislike. Like the bad 2nd unit camera shot when the skiff get hit by a blaster and tilts awkwardly -- just really bad and cheaply done.

:horror:lol

ROTJ certainly has more cheese than SW and ESB combined and the whole Jabba sequence has its share (creature designs like Yuzzum and "I can't see" Han are just lazy) but I still like the music and visuals of the whole Sarlacc Pit sequence - and as others have mentioned, the emergence of bad*ss Luke who slices and dices mercilessly.

The all-black bodysuit for me is a bit plain for Luke, and I also prefer the earlier Jabba segments than the later Palps segments in terms of the movie itself, but I already have a Jabba's Palace Luke on the shelf that I'm reasonably happy with so I was really hoping to use this HT one for at least vest Luke, if not the Palps throne room Luke. Just seems like a waste to cover the outfit as well as 1/3 of the head with hood/cloak, but if the suit is baggy, then vest look it is.

When I first saw ROTJ in the theater back in the day, I remember this moment made me realize Luke has become such a badass

I’m glad they made this slash effect with this figure

Can’t wait to see him displayed with Boba..wish I got Boba :(

This is still to this day my favorite rewind moment and will forever be

Notice in that boba fett shot that his blaster explodes before luke's saber hits it? Interesting.

It would be cool if Luke just chopped off Boba head instead of that Saclacc pit clown death.. something like father like son you know, like his father was killed by Mace Windu

Back