Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To steal Timemeddler's pic, this is the issue I'm having with the removal of the fatsuit and the tailoring - where you can see how the shoulder seams are dropping down below the shoulders (they should be vertical and at the top of the shoulders like in the screen pic, but drop to almost 45 degrees on the figure, making the shoulders seem drooped.)

Also - and this does seem to vary with lighting - the panel on the front of the shirt looks a bit like an unstuffed cushion cover sewn onto the front of the shirt because the fabric layers are so thick and the border stitching seems too prominent/coarse for something so visible.

Rather than it seeming to be part of the shirt (like in the screen pic,) it seems more like something blocky that's sitting on the front of the shirt.

KDZRWyp.jpg

Yeah the tailoring with the DS suit definitely seems to be lacking for some reason. Although it looks to me like the shoulders in Timemeddler's pic just aren't pushed up high enough there. Not sure if there's a way to keep the shoulder part of the fat suit intact to keep that area straightened and flattened out, or if I'll need to put some cardboard up there like I did with my Picard.

It looks like the legs of the fat suit definitely need to stay in though. And I'm also intending to take in the arms and torso on mine, as it just looks too baggy otherwise for my taste. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done about the wide shoulders.

This Luke Jedi figure is not one of HT's finest. Sorry, but its true. Especially in the tailoring -- which I've never seen done so poorly by HT. Their outfits usally fit nicely. This outfit isn't as bad as Leia's dress, but once again it feels rushed and not the best material choices used -- much like Ben Kenobi's see-thru robe. I guess with Star Wars they feel they can get away with it.

This is no Jack Sparrow or Yondu.

Even Jack had a ****** hat. Hot Toys hasn’t floored me with all around quality since... Rogue One Vader or Dr. Strange. There’s almost always a significant flaw that bothers the fire out of me.

GMT I thought was a home run, all things considered. At least a triple. This Luke I would concur isn't their finest work, but I wouldn't call it a poor effort, either. Based on pictures, at least.

Have a feeling though it'll end up all around still being better than SSC's. HT's sculpt I think will be superior, and SSC's tailoring might be slightly better at best.

To steal Timemeddler's pic, this is the issue I'm having with the removal of the fatsuit and the tailoring - where you can see how the shoulder seams are dropping down below the shoulders (they should be vertical and at the top of the shoulders like in the screen pic, but drop to almost 45 degrees on the figure, making the shoulders seem drooped.)

Also - and this does seem to vary with lighting - the panel on the front of the shirt looks a bit like an unstuffed cushion cover sewn onto the front of the shirt because the fabric layers are so thick and the border stitching seems too prominent/coarse for something so visible.

Rather than it seeming to be part of the shirt (like in the screen pic,) it seems more like something blocky that's sitting on the front of the shirt.

KDZRWyp.jpg

I can see what you are saying. The old sideshow was terrible for this.
1f035230476c227885030432736bc4fe.jpg

e38afcf893a35ec5c4398d927cce4cc5.jpg

38f537d29d8187405613a4d1329053c0.jpg

2f47fa438fb077e242a2066faf93f4e5.jpg

The bib seems to be huge and way too thick.
The Medicom was a bit better but not much.
61230ff2b390e7f5c084164cc2f49260.jpg

It seems like the new sideshow will be better than all of them if they can recreate the proto. May be our only hope.
423fea3adbeff8b27df4ee03d652f46c.jpg

044980f5b432857d861a47db7098c0ee.jpg

they did a pretty good job with their snowspeeder Luke, maybe they are making their best efforts with Luke. Luke lovers no doubt. :panic:

Yeah the tailoring with the DS suit definitely seems to be lacking for some reason. Although it looks to me like the shoulders in Timemeddler's pic just aren't pushed up high enough there. Not sure if there's a way to keep the shoulder part of the fat suit intact to keep that area straightened and flattened out, or if I'll need to put some cardboard up there like I did with my Picard.

It looks like the legs of the fat suit definitely need to stay in though. And I'm also intending to take in the arms and torso on mine, as it just looks too baggy otherwise for my taste. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done about the wide shoulders.

Well, I initially left the shoulder part of the fat suit intact, and then Guyver1 started moaning that the Jedi tunic (Jabba's Palace look) was too short, so I took them out again!!

I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time...

Well, I initially left the shoulder part of the fat suit intact, and then Guyver1 started moaning that the Jedi tunic (Jabba's Palace look) was too short, so I took them out again!!

I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time...

We need to all get focused on pleasing some of the people some of the time.:lecture:lol

The SSC Tailoring in the Proto does looks far better than the HT effort, BUT as we all know with SSC will this be what is produced??

star-wars-luke-skywalker-sixth-scale-figure-sideshow-100190-15.jpg

Why don’t you guys wait to see the figure in hand before some of you think the shoulders are an issue ..I own the medicom and SSC ( first version ) and none of them can’t even compare to the level of quality the HT TT body has given this figure. Believe me, I was really skeptic when I saw the first blogger pics and the YouTube videos about how the suit looked but I gave the benefit of the doubt and waited to see how it looked in hand. the minute I took him out of the box, I knew
It wasn’t as bad as it looked in pics

Last edited:
Why don’t you guys wait to see the figure in hand before some of you think the shoulders are an issue ..I own the medicom and SSC ( first version ) and none of them can’t even compare to the level of quality the HT TT body has given this figure. Believe me, I was really skeptic when I saw the first blogger pics and the YouTube videos about how the suit looked but I gave the benefit of the doubt and waited to see how it looked in hand. the minute I took him out of the box, I knew
It wasn’t as bad as it looked in pics

There's that guyver1 moaning again.:monkey3:lol

Back