Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t judge Luke (or even think about it) just like I didn’t judge Han for shooting Greedo. It’s War folks; you do what you gotta do.

I don’t think they considered force choke to be specific to dark side practitioners at the time. It was just one ability we’ve seen in action in the two previous films at that point, so why not have Luke do it too? I don’t understand what the problem is with a Jedi doing it anyway. I’ll take a chokehold over being dismembered by a laser sword any day.

The idea that choking is a dark side skill I think came from a video game in the 90's. I certainly never considered it a dark side only skill. Perhaps a bit taboo for a Jedi, but no different than lifting rocking.

The idea that choking is a dark side skill I think came from a video game in the 90's. I certainly never considered it a dark side only skill. Perhaps a bit taboo for a Jedi, but no different than lifting rocking.

Yeah, I see it like slapping a guillotine choke on an attacking enemy and choking him out in self defence, vs. walking up behind one of your inferiors and putting him in a rear naked choke, holding it until he goes limp, and hanging on a fair bit longer until death.

I never thought he was using Force Choke here, just putting them to sleep.

But you even see the guards grab at their throats.

I didn’t judge Luke (or even think about it) just like I didn’t judge Han for shooting Greedo. It’s War folks; you do what you gotta do.

I don’t think they considered force choke to be specific to dark side practitioners at the time. It was just one ability we’ve seen in action in the two previous films at that point, so why not have Luke do it too? I don’t understand what the problem is with a Jedi doing it anyway. I’ll take a chokehold over being dismembered by a laser sword any day.

Yeah, I see it like slapping a guillotine choke on an attacking enemy and choking him out in self defence, vs. walking up behind one of your inferiors and putting him in a rear naked choke, holding it until he goes limp, and hanging on a fair bit longer until death.

I can agree with that. He just never killed them. I think that would be the difference. Putting them to sleep to subdue them is perfectly acceptable but choking to kill when it’s unnecessary would be pretty dark. Obviously it depends on the situation but I’m sure if Luke’s life was threatened and he had to choke and kill someone it would then be self defense. It’s the intent of the use of the Force not the result.

If I kill from a place of love it’s ok? LOL

Luke kills a bunch of guys with his lightsaber around the sail barge so I don't really think it's much different whether he chokes some dude or not.

Luke kills a bunch of guys with his lightsaber around the sail barge so I don't really think it's much different whether he chokes some dude or not.

You are correct but at that point they are fighting for their lives so of course there will be casualties. It’s just that a Jedi’s initial response is always supposed to be diplomacy and if that doesn’t work defense.

Luke was never the quintessential Jedi. He grew up on a farm and learned a few basic lessons, did a meditative swamp retreat that he had to abandon early, and then finished his training on his own. What kind of Jedi he became was always up to him.

Other than lightning, all abilities seem shared between dark side and light side, and perhaps even the lightning is something light side could use but is so specifically offensive that they don’t exercise it. If you think of it, Luke doesn’t kill the Gamorrean Guards with the choke, just subdues them enough, and quietly enough to enter undetected.

I'm in the same camp. I never really saw why force choking is exclusively a DS skill. DS practioners are the ones who usually use it out of malice to inflict harm on others, sure. But I don't see why a Jedi shouldn't have the ability to do it in self defense or to incapacitate their enemies.

Why didn't Luke just choke the saga after ROTJ?

Well played sir
toast-gif-16.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmao. They could close the thread after those posts and I wouldn't even be mad.

Luke was never the quintessential Jedi. He grew up on a farm and learned a few basic lessons, did a meditative swamp retreat that he had to abandon early, and then finished his training on his own. What kind of Jedi he became was always up to him.

Haha love it. Meditative swamp retreat.....

Luke was a "Swamp Jedi" !!

You are correct but at that point they are fighting for their lives so of course there will be casualties. It’s just that a Jedi’s initial response is always supposed to be diplomacy and if that doesn’t work defense.

This is on point. As far on screen info indicates at the time Luke was NEVER a Jedi and could never continue the Jedi. The only “return of the Jedi” that was present was the return of Anakin. For all intents and purposes Luke just had force training , and the anti Jedi skills of using the force in combination and response to his emotions. He disregarded and ignored Yodas advice and training , and more often then not gave into sith/dark side urges. I’d go as far as to say that the reveal of how he responded to Kylo in this last movie flashback was more to his actual character then the morally upright Luke most people have for some reason created in their heads for him to be. I’d blame this on the expanded universe material (RIP).

That's sort of why I was hoping they'd take Luke through the grey Jedi route in TLJ. Bad ass if needed and able to use force powers from both sides of the coin.

But it didn't go how I planned.....

Back