Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sort of why I was hoping they'd take Luke through the grey Jedi route in TLJ. Bad ass if needed and able to use force powers from both sides of the coin.

But it didn't go how I planned.....

That would have been new and exciting and right in line with Luke’s character. But alas...

This is on point. As far on screen info indicates at the time Luke was NEVER a Jedi and could never continue the Jedi. The only “return of the Jedi” that was present was the return of Anakin. For all intensive purposes Luke just had force training , and the anti Jedi skills of using the force in combination and response to his emotions. He disregarded and ignored Yodas advice and training , and more often then not gave into sith/dark side urges. I’d go as far as to say that the reveal of how he responded to Kylo in this last movie flashback was more to his actual character then the morally upright Luke most people have for some reason created in their heads for him to be. I’d blame this on the expanded universe material (RIP).

lol I'm sorry I can't ignore that!

Expanded Universe material was great. Far better than anything we are seeing from Kennedy’s Star Wars. Although I do agree that Luke was always supposed to be the antithesis of the old Jedi order. The Jedi were blind to corruption from the inside and their inability to adapt to a changing galaxy was their downfall. Yoda and Obi Wan both had hoped that Luke would revive the Jedi in a new way and lead the Galaxy away from the tyranny of the Dark side and Palpatine. Perhaps that included a hard look at what it means to be a dark side user and to incorporate all aspects of the force without tyranny.

The expanded universe is full of these situations and seems like the Jedi are only concerned with one group gaining too much power and corrupting the galaxy as a whole. The republic coexists with the empire in their own territories and collaborate on many occasions to save the galaxy from hostile forces and invaders.

I think the term grey Jedi was never used but many of Luke’s disciples were open to many more forms of the force than the old Jedi ever were and in turn could be considered Grey in nature.

Luke was never the quintessential Jedi. He grew up on a farm and learned a few basic lessons, did a meditative swamp retreat that he had to abandon early, and then finished his training on his own. What kind of Jedi he became was always up to him.

Good point.

I hope Hot Toys will tweak his expression before final productions. Compare to recent Tarkin and Anakin, I think Jedi Luke's sculpt is the weakest

I hope Hot Toys will tweak his expression before final productions. Compare to recent Tarkin and Anakin, I think Jedi Luke's sculpt is the weakest

Totally agree. He must be hard to capture.

However that said, there was this sculpt mentioned in a different thread which is the best I've seen. With HT paint app I think it would look great !

jedi_luke_by_trev_solo.jpg

This is on point. As far on screen info indicates at the time Luke was NEVER a Jedi and could never continue the Jedi. The only “return of the Jedi” that was present was the return of Anakin. For all intents and purposes Luke just had force training , and the anti Jedi skills of using the force in combination and response to his emotions. He disregarded and ignored Yodas advice and training , and more often then not gave into sith/dark side urges. I’d go as far as to say that the reveal of how he responded to Kylo in this last movie flashback was more to his actual character then the morally upright Luke most people have for some reason created in their heads for him to be. I’d blame this on the expanded universe material (RIP).

As someone who was with this from the very start, and having intensively read everything OT over the years, I disagree with pretty much 100% of that.:lol

What do you mean by "As far on screen info indicates..."?

lol I'm sorry I can't ignore that!

What does "intensive purposes" mean?:dunno

This is on point. As far on screen info indicates at the time Luke was NEVER a Jedi and could never continue the Jedi. The only “return of the Jedi” that was present was the return of Anakin. For all intents and purposes Luke just had force training , and the anti Jedi skills of using the force in combination and response to his emotions. He disregarded and ignored Yodas advice and training , and more often then not gave into sith/dark side urges. I’d go as far as to say that the reveal of how he responded to Kylo in this last movie flashback was more to his actual character then the morally upright Luke most people have for some reason created in their heads for him to be. I’d blame this on the expanded universe material (RIP).

And there is the problem with this whole thing. In order to defend the new movies, you have to tear down one of the greatest movie heroes of all time.

No one just randomly "created the idea in thier heads" that Luke was a Jedi. Besides straight out stating it in the film, it's been his arc for decades. To come out decades later and state that he wasn't important or great, and that this was all just fan headcanon is absolutely ridiculous.

And there is the problem with this whole thing. In order to defend the new movies, you have to tear down one of the greatest movie heroes of all time.

No one just randomly "created the idea in thier heads" that Luke was a Jedi. Besides straight out stating it in the film, it's been his arc for decades. To come out decades later and state that he wasn't important or great, and that this was all just fan headcanon is absolutely ridiculous.

But that’s the problem with all the new canon. All the original heroes did came to nothing. The old eu was clunky and had some really bad ideas at times but the three were and remained heroes - not perfect- flawed even- but heroes.
That’s why I disliked the premise of the legacy comic a few years back and it’s why I can’t get behind the new trilogy

On the figure- please feel free to adjust the sculpt and if you could wait a couple of monthsafter spamming us at the beginning of the year that would be great

Well, I would say it amounted to about thirty years of relative galactic peace.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Expanded Universe material was great. Far better than anything we are seeing from Kennedy’s Star Wars. Although I do agree that Luke was always supposed to be the antithesis of the old Jedi order. The Jedi were blind to corruption from the inside and their inability to adapt to a changing galaxy was their downfall. Yoda and Obi Wan both had hoped that Luke would revive the Jedi in a new way and lead the Galaxy away from the tyranny of the Dark side and Palpatine. Perhaps that included a hard look at what it means to be a dark side user and to incorporate all aspects of the force without tyranny.

The expanded universe is full of these situations and seems like the Jedi are only concerned with one group gaining too much power and corrupting the galaxy as a whole. The republic coexists with the empire in their own territories and collaborate on many occasions to save the galaxy from hostile forces and invaders.

I think the term grey Jedi was never used but many of Luke’s disciples were open to many more forms of the force than the old Jedi ever were and in turn could be considered Grey in nature.

Nice post. I can’t pretend to think that this level of analysis was done by Kennedy Rian and that whole group of dopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They could also go the other way and push this one off of their plate by releasing it early, so they can eagerly get to work on the myriad of IW figures. I suspect we may see this in May. Just a guess that seems reasonable.

Back