Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no question The Witcher is a better game, by far in fact. This is coming from a long term MGS fan and somebody who has only just started with the Witcher series as well.

I'm actually so glad i decided to pick it up, i wasn't going to at first but it's right up my street.

MGSV is not as bad as some make it out to be, there has to be some elements that make it somewhat decent as so many people wouldn't have even finished/platinumed it, but it can't be justifiably classified as a good game. Just because it has great gameplay and is 'a hideo kojima game' that doesn't give it an automatic 9/10.

The Haters hate and the lovers love it, but it's falls in neither category really.

I'd rather play Arkham Knight over and over again, still a superior game than MGSV despite all the grievances. Looks 100x better too.

Absolutely. I was pretty blown away by AK's graphics on PS4, too. Compared that to MGS V, which looks like a last-gen game :lol. I understand sacrifices need to be made for Sandbox games, but Kojima had an 80 million dollar budget for V... much of which was spent on the Fox Engine.

There's no question The Witcher is a better game, by far in fact. This is coming from a long term MGS fan and somebody who has only just started with the Witcher series as well.

I'm actually so glad i decided to pick it up, i wasn't going to at first but it's right up my street.

MGSV is not as bad as some make it out to be, there has to be some elements that make it somewhat decent as so many people wouldn't have even finished/platinumed it, but it can't be justifiably classified as a good game. Just because it has great gameplay and is 'a hideo kojima game' that doesn't give it an automatic 9/10.

The Haters hate and the lovers love it, but it's falls in neither category really.

Same here. Personally, I got into Witcher last year, and played the first two parts in anticipation for the third game. It's probably the best video-game fantasy series I've played, and the closest thing to Game of Thrones (which I love). I even bought all of the physical Gwent decks :pow.

V has some redeeming qualities: many different ways to infiltrate bases, a cool buddy system, dynamic weather. But, it's way too bloated. Later in the game, you'll be spammed with similar side-op missions, and replying the same missions at higher difficulties. It's a game that focuses way too much on repetition. I should mention too, that for whatever reason, they (KojiPro or Konami) cut out the last chapter :lol. So, not only is it a frustrating and tedious game that focuses too much on re-doing the same tasks ad-nauseam, but, it's also an incomplete game.

The game was based on a good idea, but executed horribly. It held my attention for a good while, but the constant grinding and repeated missions dozens of times just killed it. On top of that, I utterly hated the story. I honestly could take all the game flaws if it was written better and didn't have the ending it did (and it becoming available for no apparent reason)

The game was based on a good idea, but executed horribly. It held my attention for a good while, but the constant grinding and repeated missions dozens of times just killed it. On top of that, I utterly hated the story. I honestly could take all the game flaws if it was written better and didn't have the ending it did (and it becoming available for no apparent reason)
Exactly. Good idea but horrible execution indeed. Personally I like the concept of using language as a weapon since it actually says something about the world, but what I didn't like was how parasites are the new nanomachines to the point of creating every and all language/communicative sound ever since dinosaurs roamed the Earth (WTF?).

Kojima was essentially buying into his own hype and BS, while expecting the players to like his ***** because the poop had his name on it. Which is sad because beneath it all was what seemed like a bunch of promising ideas for a game.

Exactly. Good idea but horrible execution indeed. Personally I like the concept of using language as a weapon since it actually says something about the world, but what I didn't like was how parasites are the new nanomachines to the point of creating every and all language/communicative sound ever since dinosaurs roamed the Earth (WTF?).

Kojima was essentially buying into his own hype and BS, while expecting the players to like his ***** because the poop had his name on it. Which is sad because beneath it all was what seemed like a bunch of promising ideas for a game.

Well said. A good majority of the fans bought into it, purely on his name alone... like usual.

Words as a weapon is fine, but parasites are the catalyst? And they're not even limited to one thing, they're used as plot devices through the whole game. The Skulls, Quiet and the Cobra Unit... ughhhhh!

I was pessimistic toward the game for quite some time I admit, and I went into it thinking maybe I'll actually like it. Nope.

All we can do is hope for a brighter future of the series.

I found out the major twist accidentally and it's really soured my taste for wanting to carry on playing.

Hate the idea
Spoiler Spoiler:

The idea is cool, the execution is sloppy and uninspired. It would have worked MUCH better had it had more weigh, buildup, meaning and irony towards the twist. Metal Gear Solid 2, this aint'.

The idea is cool, the execution is sloppy and uninspired. It would have worked MUCH better had it had more weigh, buildup, meaning and irony towards the twist. Metal Gear Solid 2, this aint'.

Not to mention it doesn't work even from a gameplay perspective. With Raiden we KNEW he wasn't Snake, but we kept playing, and the bigger twist is the fact that the entire game design was actually based on your past knowledge of MG1/2 and MGS1. At that point you had all the time in the world to accept Raiden as a new character in this world, while deceptively playing a revitalized gaming experience of MG1/2 and MGS1.

TPP didn't even have that, instead it was just PW 1.5, except it's capped off with a tweest that felt like some random trophy/achievement ("you are Bigu Bawse too"). Personally, I liked the idea you had for the twist where Big Boss comes in and betrays you, then acts as a final boss while leading an attack Mother Base.

Not to mention it doesn't work even from a gameplay perspective. With Raiden we KNEW he wasn't Snake, but we kept playing, and the bigger twist is the fact that the entire game design was actually based on your past knowledge of MG1/2 and MGS1. At that point you had all the time in the world to accept Raiden as a new character in this world, while deceptively playing a revitalized gaming experience of MG1/2 and MGS1.

TPP didn't even have that, instead it was just PW 1.5, except it's capped off with a tweest that felt like some random trophy/achievement ("you are Bigu Bawse too"). Personally, I liked the idea you had for the twist where Big Boss comes in and betrays you, then acts as a final boss while leading an attack Mother Base.

:exactly:

Every single detail in MGS2 work harmoniously to illustrate it's themes, and the story doesn't care if you like it or not. It was smart and extremely well thought out. I really don't mind whatever twist Kojima throw in MGSV but that was plain stupid. If we got to know Venom and cared for him, that would added up to at least something.

If..

Spoiler Spoiler:

Nope, we got nothing like that. We got a wild goose chase with stupid Zombie Zorro, twist comes out of nowhere, game ends. Thanks for playing! :mad:

There was literally no build-up to Mission 46, either :pow. It just popped out of nowhere, after you completed enough random side-ops. Then, game over.

This is nothing but a bitching thread... but is there anything else to do with the game honestly? Does anyone even care about MGO?

This is literally the only MGS game I can't find myself replaying. Ever. The disk has been out of my PS4 for nearly two months now, and it's not going back in.

Only the MGS zombies incapable of independent thought are the ones who are obsessed with this game. Everyone else with half a brain cell and beyond are having major grievances.

As for the "prefect" reviews, I can only speculate that the reviewers were given a condensed version to play at the Konami bootcamp.

Only the MGS zombies incapable of independent thought are the ones who are obsessed with this game. Everyone else with half a brain cell and beyond are having major grievances.

As for the "prefect" reviews, I can only speculate that the reviewers were given a condensed version to play at the Konami bootcamp.

It certainly doesn't seem like they were playing the version we got. I remember SuperBunnyHop questioned the perfect scores, himself.

I have to say, this game really lowered the bar on any other future MGS titles...

This alone, was the biggest blunder of the series IMO. It killed replay value.

Can understand that. It's killed actual 'play' value for me also though! :lol

This is literally the only MGS game I can't find myself replaying. Ever. The disk has been out of my PS4 for nearly two months now, and it's not going back in.

It's been out of my PS4 for a month now. Got up to mission 16 and can't really be bothered to pick it up again now I know what I know. Feel cheated.

Which is roughly a lot of fans, regrettably.

Or they were either paid reviewers who were given no other choice, caught up in the hype that much or something similar

Can understand that. It's killed actual 'play' value for me also though! :lol

It's been out of my PS4 for a month now. Got up to mission 16 and can't really be bothered to pick it up again now I know what I know. Feel cheated.

I really went into it with an open mind, considering all my bitching. The game is filled with filler with constant repeats of the same exact missions. The story is pretty nonsensical and disintersting when you compare to the compelling storytelling of the other games.

I've beaten it into the ground I know, but I hated Peace Walker... but compared to this? I've definitely changed my stance on it. And I've been hard on MGS4 for awhile, and now I've done a 180 on it considering how bad it could of been.

It's a real shame about V though. As much as I've hated Kojima's writing choices, he's always delivered quality games before. I just wish someone would take the blame for this so we know what really happened.

I think if the game was completed, well polished, and didn't have repeated missions... MAYBE the dumb twist at the end of the game would of been more palatable.

Maybe Kojima didn't know how to bridge the gap between the storyline and the ending, and he just tossed it in there...

My biggest disappointments when I was playing MGS V, is that I was waiting for Big Boss to go "nuclear" and become a "demon". But, neither of those happened. Venom Snake was actually a pretty nice guy. He saved child soldiers to rehabilitate them, rescued animals, danced in the rain with a mute girl. He probably never even killed anyone, except for his own soldiers during the parasite outbreak. Heck, he didn't even kill Skull Face, Huey did :lol. Some demon he was...

Yeah, it's totally understandable, it seems like no one's giving this a second run :lol. Maybe except the hardcore trophy hunters.

Back